Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Port Alberni Advice Needed  (Read 2969 times)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
Port Alberni Advice Needed
« on: August 09, 2006, 10:23:43 AM »

Heading over for a week starting on the 18 of Aug till  Aug 25 . Have a camp site reserved at China Creek . I have never fished the inlet so I'm wondering area's to target , what lures or bait works the best , depths etc. Have a map of the Inlet Barkley sound and Bamfeild which shows productive areas . Will there be fish in good numbers or will we be heading out to the Broken islands . Should i concentrate on the ten mile point area  , Pocohontas point, Under wood cove , Polly point , San Mateo Bay , Chup point , there seems to be alot of options I would like to narrow it down to a few and just concentrate hard on the most productive ones . Willing to travel by boat if there are more productive areas just want to hook up with lots of fish and have a productive trip . Chinook or Coho really doesn't matter .What is the best time of day early morning or evening do the Tides play a big role in this area . Are we getting there a week early or will there be lots of fish showing up in the canal . Is the Bamfeild area better this time of year . All tips and advice are welcomed and thanks in advance hoping for a trip of a life time . I have lots of Coyote spoons  blue silver pattern , army truck ,green white glow.  Rys Davis teaser heads in many colors Purplr haze , green glow , army truck , chrome etc . Hootchies in Blue baron color , Pink squirts , Tiger prawn , Devil's tail , Pistachio , Green White Silver . Plugs in white , blue , green all  4 " . Is this a good enough varity of tackle for the area.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 10:33:23 AM by legend »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Port Alberni Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 12:45:43 PM »

My advice is to find Matt's boat (ironoggin) and follow him around all day! ;D ;D  Seriously though, It seems that the fish are still offshore and seem to late in moving into the sound.  I suspect that your best bet will be to make the run down to bamfield every morning.  You will be fishing for fish that are still feeding and you will definately see more coho.  I would use similar gear to what you were using in Renfrew and yes tides do make a difference.  Be open to other methods of fishing.  One year there was a boat drifting behind a small island (on the flood tide) jigging with dungeness stingers.  They outfished all the boats trolling chovies around them.  If you have a good sounder and find a bait ball with some big fish underneath, I wouldn't hesitate to try that method.

legend

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 01:52:37 PM »

How long of a run is it to the Bamfeild area from China Creek ? . My boat's cruising speed is around 30 mph at this speed im not sucking up to much gas . Would it be productive near the end of Alberni Inlet where the Broken Island area is or should one run out to the Cape Beale area . Swale rock is supposed to be a productive area as is Congrove island . Also i have heard around Poets Nook can be good or the area they call the Wall there seems to be endless possibilities around this area where should one start . ???

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 02:04:44 PM »

I trolled with a local in the inlet once and all he put out (four rods) was 6 inch chrome tomic plugs...we got 2 fish in 3 hours of fishing - not to shabby.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 04:05:15 PM »

It would probably take about an hour to cape beale from China Creek in calm water.  My preference is to fish the outside edge of the sound but the fishing is good at the end of alberni inlet as well (the water is at least a bit calmer).  Cape Beale is a very fishy spot and one of my favorites, unfortunately its very popular and can get rather crowded.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 04:11:11 PM »

If you are making a run down to Bamfield from China Creek try to do it early in the morning as in most cases the water is calmer then. My experience in the few times I have been out there is the wind usually blows up most afternoons.

legend

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 04:30:18 PM »

Thanks CG that's what others have told me as well it's definatly a morning fishery due to the wind.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 04:51:05 PM »

Chinook fishery in the inlets almost entirely a morning eveny fishing with the good bite at first light. Watch for deadheads! lots of them out there! We did well fishing anchovies and some do well on larger pink hootchies.

legend

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 05:29:59 PM »

Thanks Kellya .

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 07:05:52 PM »

If you look at GoFish's recent report from the west coast, did you notice whats hanging out of the yap of about a 35lber (give or take)....looks like a tomic plug to me...I tell ya, they are deadly on the springs out there.  If the guides are using them then you can't go wrong! 

PS the guy who took me out, he cut the metal eye off of his plugs, pulled it right out and then rigged his main line right thru the hole in the plug where the eye used to be...couple of beads, a larger swivel and a heavy gauge 5/0-7/0 depending on the plug size.

Good luck legend.

legend

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 08:13:46 PM »

Thanks  to you as well Gooey I did notice the Tomic and will be packing afew of those as well .