Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: We Got 8 Bar Fishing Today, August The 8th, A Short Journal  (Read 2908 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
We Got 8 Bar Fishing Today, August The 8th, A Short Journal
« on: August 09, 2006, 01:41:34 AM »

As always a very pleasant welcome to The Journal on FWR, your top spot for fishing information and stories on the web.

What a pleasure is was to get out on the Fraser today with 2:40 and his son.

As I had a dentist appointment first thing this morning and some other chores it was not until 1 that the Leaf Craft was in the water. The parking lot at Island 22 was not as busy as I thought it would be with the sockeye frenzy now in full swing.

We decided to try another bar other than the famous Maple Leaf Bars and headed to another bar that would be more friendly for a 3 year old to fish.

We found a nice spot below 10 or so bottom bouncers and I sent my barfishing gear out into the the flow, hoping for a chinook or a willing sockeye to attack the #0 red topped glow that had attracted its fair share of bluntnosed chinooks so far this season.

2:40 was experimenting with a smaller glow, fishing close in, hoping to find a secret method of making the hundreds of passing sockeye to take a swipe at it.

I know the sockeye were going by in good numbers as the people above were yarding them in every few minutes. ???

2:40 had my grandson rigged up with a small rod, also barfishing, with a small glow and some innards I had picked up off an angler yesterday.

What a delight it was to see him with a rod in his hands, my thoughts now flooding back to what seemed just like yesterday when 2:40 and his brother were doing the same thing. ;D

It took a few minutes before the northern pike minnows and chub were attracted to the scent of the offal.

It was not long until Jamie got the hang of it and started reeling them in, some good sized pike minnows that were putting a nice arc in the small rod. Each bite and the sight of a fish brought shouts of joy to most likely the youngest angler fishing on the river today. After a quick pet of the coarse fish he was pleased to have his dad release the fish for him. I was enjoying capturing the action on video and some still shots.

He, like us had no interest in the sockeye that continued to be beached one after another above as shouts of joy was also being uttered by the BB gang. Some of the individuals continued to fish after they had retained there 2 sockeye. ::) One angler did pull out a bar rod looking for a chinook as he seemed to tire from all the sockeye he was catching.

The time 2:40 and Jamie had to fish went all to quickly but as we started to put things away 2:40's sockeye bar fishings pole's bell started to toll. As 2:40 grabs the rod I start to think, has he found a way to make a sockeye bite. As he reels in we see there is something there but it looks too small for a sockeye. As it gets closer we see it is our 8th fish of the day, our 6th pike minnow. That along with two chub Jamie had caught it gave us 8 fish in about 2 hours of fishing. ;D ;D

Sure they were not salmon but to this budding new angler it did not matter, they were fish to him. With guidance from his dad he was learing the ancient art of angling that was now being passed down from his dad as I had passed it on to 2:40 and had my dad to me, nearly 60 years ago.

As we now swing the Leaf Craft's nose in the direction of Island 22 with 2:40 at the controls aided by Jamie's small hands now feeling the Leaf Craft's steering wheel under power for the first time I look for more days like this in the years ahead. When Jamie, in a few years will answer the bell's toll with his first chinook, see his float disappear with a silver coho on the end, followed in a few years with the most majestic of all fish, the steelhead doing cartwheels down the Vedder River.

Until those days come we all must work as hard as we can to make sure we preserve our fish and the environment these wonderful creatures live in, for boys and girls like Jamie to enjoy the art of angling. At the same time these young people must be taught to treat our precious fish with respect that they most certainly deserve.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 11:32:18 AM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: We Got 8 Bar Fishing Today, August The 8th, A Short Journal
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 01:52:47 AM »

A short report after I dropped Jamie and 2:40 off. I went back to where we were fishing, for another 3 hours. Fishing for the sockeye crowd above continued good while my only luck was to find about 5 bar weights as my bar bell emitted a eerie silence for a total of about 5 hours of wet time.

With the steady rain now beating down I packed up and headed for a few games of badminton. I had better luck with the birds than I did with the fishes but tomorrow is another day for the fish. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 01:55:04 AM by chris gadsden »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 02:24:04 AM »

Never too early to get kids started into fishing. :)

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 08:49:58 AM »

:D good report chris enjoy your adventures on the water all the time. ;D

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 08:57:51 AM »

I hope you are not teaching your grandson your bad habits.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 11:29:32 AM »

I agree, make sure he knows how to floss, so he would not have to go to the dentist appointment like you later on. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 11:37:06 AM »

I agree, make sure he knows how to floss, so he would not have to go to the dentist appointment like you later on. ;D
Be careful now or you will be guilty of starting another flossing thread. ;D ;D ;D

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 11:40:55 AM »

good for you Chris :)  Sounds like you had a great time.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 11:56:23 AM »

Not enough work to do on the system?  ::) Trying to stir the pot?  :o

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 12:06:06 PM »

Hey,what's wrong with flossing your teeth? :P

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 01:12:56 PM »

My dentist recommends flossing after every meal.

avid angler

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 02:56:10 PM »

did you try the lower part of that bar chris? or were there bottom dredgers there as well?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 04:04:36 PM »

did you try the lower part of that bar chris? or were there bottom dredgers there as well?
It was open all the down the bar but I was happy where we were fishing. The day before some bar fishing by other anglers produced 5 or 6 springs in the same general area. I guess they were just not going by during the 5 hours we were there. There will be some good days to come for chinooks if it is anything like last year during the later part of August when it was red hot.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 06:55:49 PM »

A couple pictures.

Thanks again for the ride. Jamie had a blast!

Leaning into the fight!

I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 11:38:47 PM »

so now i know where all my birthday fish went  ;)
good for you guys, and if you ever get that whole sokeye thing down
please let everyone know lol
bye the way dont use CD'S as a flasher ahead of the rig
the shiny crap just wash's right off lol
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY