Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Honolulu Fishing - Leaving Tommorrow  (Read 2005 times)

badboi

• I'm a llama!
Honolulu Fishing - Leaving Tommorrow
« on: August 06, 2006, 04:16:44 AM »

Allo!

Im heading to Honolulu tommorrow for a week of paradise!

Any suggestions on fishing charters there? I may or may not do some fishing depending on the price.

Thanks!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Honolulu Fishing - Leaving Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 05:28:32 AM »

Odd time of year to go to Hawaii it's so beautiful here and there's so much fabulous fishing why go to the USA?
As to Marlin/Tuna If you have to ask you can't afford it-even shared charters are expensive and you won't be allowed to touch a rod until a fish is hooked.Never ever book through a hotel or agency always deal directly with the boat owner-hotel desks take up to 40% of the charter fee-total ripoff that filters down to a very poorly run boat ride.
Look for a shared bottomfish trip all kinds of tasty critters down there.
Of course the boat will try to claim anything you catch-Hawaiians are avaricious in that regard.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Honolulu Fishing - Leaving Tommorrow
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 10:52:29 AM »

I just got back from there about a week ago.  Like Sam Salmon said, charters for off shore fishing can be expensive especially when it turns out to be a long boat ride.  Catch and Release in Hawaii in general is not really an accepted pratice.  Heck they even catch and kill bonefish there!  That is why a lot of their stocks are depleted.  That said you can still find small reef fish along the shore line.  You can go to the Wal mart in Honolulu and purchase a cheap spinning outfit.  I went to the Ko-olina resort (the beaches and lagoons are available for public use) and used a float type set up to catch fish amongst the lava bed breakwater that forms the manmade lagoons.  You can use tiny hooks and small pieces of squid for bait.  Be careful of the waves though.  You can also go to the north shore and find a shrimp shack called "Romy's" and go prawn fishing with a hook and line.  The price is not cheap but it includes a large shrimp dinner with it.  I had a lot of fun and the operator was very generous with how long we were able to fish.  If you are good with the flyrod you can check out Nervous waters flyshop (you can google them for an address and phone #)  They offer guided trips for bonefish and other near shore fish on the fly.  I paid a visit to their shop (very small) and they were very busy so I suggest that you book ahead if you are interested.  Good luck and have fun!!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Re: Honolulu Fishing - Leaving Tommorrow
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 11:17:20 PM »

I have fished off some of the reef points on the North Shore and catch many tasty fish. The last was a broom fish about 6 lb. I even caught a barracuda once but it bit off the leader in a hurry. All my fish were caught with cheap bait - just bread from supermarket. If you go to any reef point, you can cast some bread out to see if you will have a good day. If you are lucky, lots of reef fish will come up. There are a lot of Nenue (Bai Mao) which are good fighters. Locals catch them to use as bait for their Ulua fishing (Giant Trevaly). If you are lucky, a broom fish will come up. Use a short leader and a transparent egg-shaped float for them. They take it at the top water and it is very exciting to see them gobble up the bread. Once I hooked into 8 of them and lost them all, because I could not haul them up with my trout szie Wal-Mart outfit from a high point of the reef.

Sometimes some unknown monsters will strike and lines just peel out like crazy. You usually lose those to the rocks. If you like fishing with lure, you can try casting some spoons or top-water lures for the papio (small jacks). They can go up to 10 lbs. Last year I saw a school of them went by and I didn't have my lure set up. Last year I also saw a huge manta ray glide by. What should I use for that?  ;D

Night fishing can also be very good. You need to use squids or small bait fish for that. If you are really lucky, you can catch some tasty & expensive fish like the priced Kumu (a red goat fish) that will cost $30+ per lb to eat in the restaurant.  If you like the pelagics, then you need a boat or have to charter or share charter. Those charters off from Haleiwa seem to have good catch for fish like dophins (mahi mahi), wahoo (ono), tuna (ahi), even marlins.  You may want to look at some of these sites:

http://www.chupu.com/

http://www.kuuloakai.com/

http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=&rls=RNWE,RNWE:2006-17,RNWE:en&q=charter+fishing&near=Haleiwa,+HI+96712&sa=X&oi=local&ct=title

Good luck and Alooooooha!!!