Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing the Vedder 8-3  (Read 4590 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
fly fishing the Vedder 8-3
« on: August 03, 2006, 04:50:05 PM »

Well as my report in the fishing section shows I didn't catch anything today but had my day cut short....Here's something pretty cool, Found these on the rocks along the bank in the morning...guess it's time to add a few golden stones to the line up for next time...

mrking

Re: fly fishing the Vedder 8-3
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 06:58:52 AM »

That's a nice reel to find on the rocks. Were there alot of them?  ;D ;D ;D haha

Thanks for showing that. I'll have to take some with me next trip.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 08:47:19 AM »

Paul we never got to rivers in that condenced fly fishing class back in June, so here's the run down.

Goto flies for summer condtions: Kaufmann Stone in yellow, tan , and black, Stimulator or Seducer in those same colors, Goddard or Elk Hair Caddis  with and body color matching the naturals in the area, Tom Thumb, Grass Hopper color match the naturals in the area, Chernodyly Ants. I try them in that order if that doesn't work you know you need to some in depth research.

Don't waste time fishing the slow water or pools (they won't be there the lower oxygen in these areas due to summer heat, makes them uncomfortable). Work the riffels and fast water, area along this same water, or the back flow from a main current (they like this water in the summer heat because it holds more oxygen).     
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 11:03:38 PM »

Paul we never got to rivers in that condenced fly fishing class back in June, so here's the run down.

Goto flies for summer condtions: Kaufmann Stone in yellow, tan , and black, Stimulator or Seducer in those same colors, Goddard or Elk Hair Caddis  with and body color matching the naturals in the area, Tom Thumb, Grass Hopper color match the naturals in the area, Chernodyly Ants. I try them in that order if that doesn't work you know you need to some in depth research.

Don't waste time fishing the slow water or pools (they won't be there the lower oxygen in these areas due to summer heat, makes them uncomfortable). Work the riffels and fast water, area along this same water, or the back flow from a main current (they like this water in the summer heat because it holds more oxygen).     

Thanks Jeff, I'll be tying more up ;)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 08:59:38 PM »

Nice reel golfman!  I'm a Hardy guy myself!  Probably paid too much for my reels - but they're so pretty to look at!   :)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 05:56:07 PM »

Nice reel golfman!  I'm a Hardy guy myself!  Probably paid too much for my reels - but they're so pretty to look at!   :)

I hear you, guys at m & J's..(and gal) can help take some of the sting out..I got an angel on my six and 4 weight but love the swift..light and super strong..

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 12:45:58 PM »

what rod and reel weight are u using?  I broungt in a 12lb coho on the vedder last year with my 6wt with 8lb tippet!  Hooked it on a squamish poacher!
Fish killer 101

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 10:15:11 PM »

what rod and reel weight are u using?  I broungt in a 12lb coho on the vedder last year with my 6wt with 8lb tippet!  Hooked it on a squamish poacher!

sorry was off spacing, If i'm targeting salmon I fish a 9wt. which is most of the time on the vedder, same for steelhead, I would love to use my 6wt and target trout more..probably would do a lot better..but i can get the heavier heads down on the 9wt so that it for me...