Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bouncing betty's  (Read 8381 times)

true brit

bouncing betty's
« on: August 03, 2006, 03:45:19 PM »

just bought some off ebay,thought i'd try a little canadian style fishing on my local river,look pretty straightforward but are there any tips anyone can give me ?..regards grant.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: bouncing betty's
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 05:01:14 PM »

Lay off the brown ale out there  ;D ;D . The fishing can get pretty nasty at times and I know what brown ale does to a buddy of mine who is from england. bottom bounceing is pretty simple. It does not require any skill, just cast it out, let the weight bounce and wait for the fish to hook themselves. If no fish at the end of your drift reel it in and cast again and again and again and again and so on and so on. good luck and stick to some light coloured beer(to drink not for fish)  ;D ;D

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 05:10:11 PM »

Make sure you use Green Wool !!! and your leader needs to be at least twice as long as your rod and be almost impossible to cast :)

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 05:20:22 PM »

Grant, which local river are you talking about? That may make it easier for us to let you know what works best (not necessarily bouncing betties).

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 05:29:45 PM »

Make sure you use Green Wool !!! and your leader needs to be at least twice as long as your rod and be almost impossible to cast :)

Don't confuse the guy with e-sarcasm ;)

Btw, it's easy.. just get those 3 way connecting thingies.. forgot what it's calleed  :D . tie your main line to one end.. leader to other.. and the bouncing betty and there ya go :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:31:38 PM by Youngin »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 10:34:49 PM »

Don't confuse the guy with e-sarcasm ;)

Btw, it's easy.. just get those 3 way connecting thingies.. forgot what it's calleed  :D . tie your main line to one end.. leader to other.. and the bouncing betty and there ya go :)

3 way swivels

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 07:19:20 AM »

Wow no pointers yet, here's a few:

#1 - cast straight out, guys who cast up stream often land on top of guys who are at the end of there drift and cause tangles.  I personally think the farther the better.
#2 - this escapes some people at first but DONT let your reel free spool, make your cast, close the spool down, and real in once your gear has swung down to 10 oclock.
#3 - call it out when you get a fish, some guys don't and then a real mess ensues
#4 - once that fish is hooked dont play it out far, get it in out of the travel lane quickly (once again to avoid tangles) and the play it closer to shore
#5 - befroe you drag a fish up on the beach, make sure you will retain it...I hate guys pulling pinks up on the beach and saying "s*** its not a sockeye" and then booting it back in.
#6 -  and I bet many guys here don't think of this...ICE YOUR CATCH ASAP!  The fraser is about 19C right now, air temp is 20-30C...fish will spoil in no time at all.  I have had my fish sitting out exposed waiting for a buddy to get his limit and I cooked my fish  :P  They look fine on the outside but you get home and fillet them and the flesh has turned soft and mushy or the layers of muscle start separating...its not a pretty sight.  I posted a link to a PDF about maintaining maximum food value of a fish an temperature control was the biggest factor - I would advise all fishers to look it up, its a good read.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 07:52:25 AM »

;) way to go gooey nice of ya to give instructions cheers man  ;D

true brit

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 11:10:23 AM »

thanks all for the great tips,i am going to fish the trent for barbel,a hard fighting bottom hugging fish,intend to anchor up under a weir and trot a bait down the fast flowing water using luncheon meat (spam) or halibut boillies for bait.will give it a go for a few weeks and let you know how i get on ,regards grant

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 11:15:36 AM »

#1 - cast straight out, guys who cast up stream often land on top of guys who are at the end of there drift and cause tangles.  I personally think the farther the better.
#2 - this escapes some people at first but DONT let your reel free spool, make your cast, close the spool down, and real in once your gear has swung down to 10 oclock.

If you are casting out straight out (12 o'clock) and start retrieving at 10 o'clock - you are leaving virtually no time for the leader to sweep. Aren't you supposed to let it swing down almost parallel to the shore before retrieving?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 01:26:51 PM »

If you are casting out straight out (12 o'clock) and start retrieving at 10 o'clock - you are leaving virtually no time for the leader to sweep. Aren't you supposed to let it swing down almost parallel to the shore before retrieving?

I didn't see a smiley on that, so I'm going to assume it's a serious question.  No.  While Gooey likes 12 o'clock, I'd have to say that 12:30-10:00 is the limits of your sweep.  By the time you're getting down to 10:00 the weight is likely to be lifting off the bottom anyway, unless you are fishing a VERY slow moving waterway.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 01:36:29 PM »

I like to feel a consistant tapping of the bottom as my weight swings across the river beds...if its too slow then I personally dont think the leader gets dragged out.  when you are parallel to shore you the weight really isnt travelling across the travel lanes so flossing will be less likely then.  reading any river you are fishing is key...could be the run I fish, the travel lane is further out, your favourite bar it could be closer in.  I have had socks and one spring bite my hook on the retrieve...maybe 10-15 feet from shore but  thats a very odd occurance so I usely try keep to the swift moving runs further off shore.   As well, when that weight is hurtling down river I think you get better hook sets too...less time for the fish to react.

The clock is hard to use to describe my drift.  More specifically if you think of the 90  degree arc a BB travels, I would go from 90 (straight out) down to 30...10 is probably alittle higher than 10 oclock.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 01:47:04 PM »

I never cast above 12 unless i am trying to access water I am not in front of and if i do I reel in the slack until its directly infront of me - the weight tends to wrap up in itself otherwise. 

Keep in mind that the length of an arc is determind by the distanc from the pivot point so close in, small arc, far out bigger are.  If you cast up stream you loose distance on your cast so you get a smaller arc and there for less stretching of your leader across the travel lane...there is actually a bit of a science to it which is why some guys seem to hook fish when no one else is...nothing to be terribly proud of, just a better understanding of the mechanics of flossing.  maybe if all those beaks got a clue then the turn over on the bar could be much more managable.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 01:57:34 PM »

I never cast above 12 unless i am trying to access water I am not in front of and if i do I reel in the slack until its directly infront of me - the weight tends to wrap up in itself otherwise. 

Yeah, I don't like to get too far upstream.  1230 would be the max.  I work the further lanes too, as it gives my hook more sweeping time in the river. 

You're right about the mechanics (and physics) of it.  Those that "get it" get their fish.  The others - challenging  ::)

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 04:29:41 PM »

12:00 2:00 4:00 9:00 6:00 3:00 8:00 1:00 man to much clock talk, i just cast it out in front of me as far as i can then let it drift and sweep at the end of my drift if i want to cut it short or longer but i always bring it on before it gets to parallel with the rest of the anglers,  cause there is always some BOZO that will short cast and screw everything up

OMG!!!  You Bottom Bounce ?????  :o :o :o

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!