d
« on: August 01, 2006, 09:16:48 AM »

d

« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:20:08 AM by dennisK »

milo

• Old Timer
Re: tuff line for leader? bb'ing
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 11:33:27 AM »

Using tuff line or any other 50+ pound test line for leader is, IMO, the most 'beekish' thing a person can do when fishing for salmon in the river.
As a rule of thumb, your leader strength must not exceed your rod's capacity. If you are using a 10-20# test rated rod and then you use a 50 pound test leader and an 80# test mainline, you are simply asking for trouble. Something will eventually give in and most often it will be the rod. Rod ratings are there for a reason.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 11:51:17 AM »

Good for him - he must be a Superman.

It's bad enough trying to break-off a snag with 20# test off a boat. With a 50# Superline leader you would be hard pressed to do so - unless you have leather gloves or stick with you you're going to cut through your hands. Before that even happens you're just going to pull your boat around.

Now on shore you're going to have a tough time because of the current and the extra time it takes is going to hang up other fishermen - more problems.

Plus leaving superline in the river is just what everyone needs - an immediate perma snag that shreds mono leaders, pollution for wildlife.

Enjoy bottom bouncing while you can - the writings on the wall - it's all coming to a close real soon. I like bottom bouncing but I'll be both relieved and dissapointed when DFO puts a stop to it.

All I can say is keep far away from the clowns with superline leaders.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 06:13:00 PM »

Well, my opinion is that tough line is way to flexible, and would not give a proper drift down river at all unless the end of it was weighted at the hook in some way.  But in doing so, one would more than like snag up on every cast thus making it uneffective anyhow.  With the snags, this would create all the other problems Rieber and Milo have stated.  Just doesn't make any sense in any way!! ???  Btw, did you notice the guy catching anything, or was he constantly untangling his leader!! :o
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!