Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Treble Hooks are they legal in salt water ?  (Read 5585 times)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
Treble Hooks are they legal in salt water ?
« on: July 31, 2006, 10:30:52 PM »

Are treble hooks legal in the salt ? , as almost all teaser heads come rigged with trebles . Can't find this in the regs anywhere it just says barbless hooks must be used when fishing for salmon. Is it possible to get the correct role on an Anchovy with tandem single hooks ? .

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Treble Hooks are they legal in salt water ?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 12:32:34 AM »

I believe it's okay as long as they're barbless.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 06:39:47 AM »

I BELIEVE its not OK!  I think if you are fishing for salmon you need single barbless hooks. 

After a quick google search: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Law/salmongear_e.htm

Once again the regs seem a little vague...BARBLESS is required...they don't say "single barbless" as they do in fresh water so you are left to assume trebs are fine even though the picture shows a single hook.  As well they dont state if its SINGLE barbless hooks....will these guys ever learn????  ???

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 07:40:42 AM »

I BELIEVE its not OK!  I think if you are fishing for salmon you need single barbless hooks. 

After a quick google search:blah, blah, blah.........
If you ever fished for Salmon in the salt you'd know damned well that we all use treble hooks all day long legally.
A quick call to any tackle shop would tell you the truth and the morass that is Google is just that.

legend

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 09:25:24 AM »

A tackle shop makes the rules Sam Salmon ? . Just because you fished them in the past makes it legal today ? . I watch allot of fishing shows filmed in BC waters and they are allways using single barbless hooks when targetting salmon this is why i asked the question . Loose your attitude Sam the only dumb question is the one you don't ask I really couldn't find it in the regs and thought that someone here might actually know the DAMNED answer . That way I know I'm fishing LEGALLY. !!! Thanks for your input everyone .
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 09:30:36 AM by legend »

thor

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 10:58:20 AM »

Legend, to answer your about "Is it possible to get the correct role on an Anchovy with tandem single hooks ? ." Yes.....I have fished the chuck for the last 30 years and have always used a tandem single hook set up.

If you hook your lead hook behind the dorsal fin and leave your trailing hook free, you can manage a very effective roll and have a "stinger" hook that provides the possibility of a hook-up when the fish slashes at but misses the bait.

I typically tie up my leaders with a 3 to 4 inch gap between the hooks.

legend

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 11:49:20 AM »

Thanks  Thor . Should your tailing hook be smaller I have pre tied 25 teaser heads in many different colors but both hooks are the same size and are spaced 2 1/2  " apart is this going to work or should i cut the tailing hook of and re space them 4 " apart . My hook size is 4/0 gammies they should be perfect for Chinooks . Most of the Hootchies i have that came pre tied have the same sized hooks this is why i went with 4/0 hooks. Any tips are welcomed thanks in advance. I know what you mean about the fishslashes at the bait as I used to run a single hook and many times reeled in to find the bait chomped in half just behind the hook .

thor

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 06:42:43 PM »

Legend, I typical make my leaders with the same size hooks. On the norm I use 4/0 or 5/0. If I am running out I will use a 4/0 at the head and a 5/0 at the tail, I also run at least a 6 foot leader. I like Gammies but find that they need a touch up after about 2 - 3 hours of fishing time. I have started using DNE hooks and love the depth that they bite in.

As for your spacing concern...I don't think that you have any issues, just set your lead hook a little farther back ( you want that nice slow roll - about 2-3 turns every 5 secs - the big boys are lazy) and leave your stinger hook free. Of course you may have to accommodate bait size on the fly.

You asked a question earlier about salting your bait......I like to use bottled water(2- 3 cups), pickling salt(1/2 cup), 2 - 3 tablespoons of powder milk (helps stop salt burn and firms up the bait), 1 - 2 teaspoons Bluing (get it in the laundry area at safeway, really brings out the shine) and 1 or 2 crush cloves of garlic. Let every sit over night. I leave my bait in the brine even when I'm out on the water.

Best of luck, hope you get into a big boy.

legend

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 07:42:12 PM »

Thank you very much for all your advise Thor and the luck i will try your brine out and hopfully post a pic or two of some tyee's .

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 09:36:47 PM »

Thank you very much for all your advise Thor and the luck i will try your brine out and hopfully post a pic or two of some tyee's .

Treble Hooks are legal in the salt water. They must be barbless. There are many areas on the coast where treble hooks are not permitted.

In the Vancouver area, that area is from the 15th Street Pier to the South Tower of the Lion's Gate Bridge. and anything easterly of that line (up to the Lion's Gate Bridge---there's no fishing east of the Lion's Gate). In addition, there are certain areas where you are also restricted in the size of hook you are allowed to fish as well. I believe a 1 cm gap from the point of the hook to the shank is max on hooks in this area too. Otherwise, unless the regs have changed, use your trebles if you so desre---according to the regs locally.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Glossary/glossary_e.htm

and...

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Law/salmongear_e.htm

and...

PARTICULARLY THIS ONE>>>>

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/area28_e.htm

Otherwise, in the lower mainland saltchuck...that's what you need to know.

Tight lines...

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

legend

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 10:07:45 PM »

Thank you as well Fishing Magician for that info . I am actually going to Port Renfrew to target Springs there but that is valuable info for the future outings in our local waters . I don't normally target salmon in Vancouver waters as I find it to be non productive and when you finally hook one a seal steals it . I have spent many days out near the mouth of the Cap  , Point Atkinson  , T - 10 and the Bell Buoy and never had much success . Had luck with the odd Feeder or Pink and did hook one Chinook around 20 lbs only to loose it to a seal . Fished in the maze of boats including guide boats and for the amount of rods in the water I found our local fishery to be SLOW compared to the West coast not really a fair comparison.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 11:05:59 PM »

Thank you as well Fishing Magician for that info . I am actually going to Port Renfrew to target Springs there but that is valuable info for the future outings in our local waters . I don't normally target salmon in Vancouver waters as I find it to be non productive and when you finally hook one a seal steals it . I have spent many days out near the mouth of the Cap  , Point Atkinson  , T - 10 and the Bell Buoy and never had much success . Had luck with the odd Feeder or Pink and did hook one Chinook around 20 lbs only to loose it to a seal . Fished in the maze of boats including guide boats and for the amount of rods in the water I found our local fishery to be SLOW compared to the West coast not really a fair comparison.

yes. you're right there. Not as many fish swimming by, depending on where you're fishing. Not as much bait to keep fish in the area...the Fraser pushing all kinds of freshet and runoff everywhere...and fish that aren't actively feeding....it's time to go into the river etc...

We're coming into the prime time for the next 2 months now...so now is the time to fish locally.

I intend to fish more in the next 2 months than I have the whole year thus far.

Unfortunately, this is what it's down to..and Vancouver Saltchuck fishers are resigned to this fact.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint