Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kocher salt & Rock salt ( Port Renfrew here i come !!!!! )  (Read 6941 times)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
Kocher salt & Rock salt ( Port Renfrew here i come !!!!! )
« on: July 30, 2006, 07:03:18 PM »

Are they the the same ? .Using them to keep Anchovies firm for salt water fishing . Last year all my bait went to mush by noon and was useless as the ice melted in my cooler . Heading over to Port Renfrew for four days of Chinook action and want to make sure my bait stays in top condition ( firm ) so it keeps it's shape and maintains a good role. Anchovy is the best bait to use out there and out produces spoons , hootchies , plugs etc . Where could i purchase the proper product to use .
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 04:08:27 PM by legend »

mrking

Re: Kocher salt & Rock salt ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 07:26:51 AM »

If you are just using the salt to keep the ice extra cold and around longer, than any salt will do - kosher, rock or even table. Take extra ice and salt with you and top up as need be.

legend

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 08:06:26 AM »

Your not understanding my question the salt is not for the ice it is to help keep the bait firm not the ice frozen but thanks for trying to be helpful.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 09:10:07 AM »

This is what I learned from a Renfrew guide.  Dissolve rock salt in warm water until the solution becomes saturated (i.e. adding more salt will no longer dissolve.) Do this ahead of time so that the brine cools.  When ready to use pour the brine over the chovies and mix in some powdered milk.  He does the wire thing on the teaser head so that the chovie keeps its shape.  Its amazing how long his chovies lasted on the hook.  I've tried putting straight rock salt on my bait but it tends to burn the fish too much.  Kosher salt is for cooking.  Some of the guides seem to have success trolling very fast with longer leaders.

legend

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 09:54:04 AM »

Thank you Doug that's the info i was looking for . As for long leader and trolling fast I have been there many times and never had a problem limiting out on Springs . My leaders are usually 6 - 7 feet long and my trolling speed 2.5 mph and this seems to produce many strikes . Getting the Anchovies to last is my biggest problem but this brine will solve that issue thanks again . Leaving Thursday night after the wife is done work staying there untill tuesday morning . Going to leave the boat over in Duncan at a buddies as im planning on going back the following weekend. Then were off to Port Albernie Aug 18 for 10 days if the fishing is slow in Albernie it will be back to Renfrew im going to give Albernie a try for the first time . Apparently calmer waters in the canal oppossed  to the bigger seas in the open ocean around Renfrew . Im so excited about this month im like a 5 year old on Christmas eve I have been chomping at the bit for this time of the year to come . Then when September hits were going to the Try Nitnat lake for the hudge Springs my buddie in Duncan has been doing this for years and has sent some pics of  some HUDGE SPRINGS were talking 40 plus pounders . This is the reason I love BC we have the most spectacular fishing in the world . The count down is on for Friday as I will be out in those Pacific ocean swells chasing that record Spring with the Tragically Hip cranked up on the cd player drinking some good ole CANADIAN beer. CANADA KICKS my friend .

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 10:52:34 AM »

Oh, forgot to mention, make sure the brine is cold before you use it.  I find it works better if your bait is semi-frozen when you put the brine on because it absorbs the salt as its thawing.  Good Luck and don't forget to post pictures when you get back!

legend

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 10:55:19 AM »

Yes there will be plenty of pics and even some video footage as long as weather permits us to use our video camera.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 11:13:54 AM »

I get a little cooler, filled up with sea water and add about 2-3 cups of rock salt and stir til it dissolve then add frozen bait in brine. At this time, you can add in color or whatever things you want to add to make your bait work..... close the lid and let it sit overnight, the next morning your bait should be just right to fish. if you can keep the brine nice and cold, the bait should last about 2-3 days before i worrie about it.  The only time i will do a dry brine is when the bait quality is bad, mushy bait... Then i would let the bait out the freezer until it soft to handle, then layer them with salt in a container as the following; salt-fish- salt- fish- salt.... Key is not to over stack them, keep them in about 3 high or else the on the the bottom will get flatten. goodluck fishing.

legend

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 11:42:54 AM »

Thanks for your input as well SHK all of your input is valued gentleman thanks. The powdered milk idea sounds good i also have Pro Cure concentrated bait bluing and brightener supposed to make your bait shine . And I have Some stuff called Mike's Fluorescent Anchovy scent should I add some of this to the brine or just go with the natural color and scent ? .
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 11:50:04 AM by legend »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 12:01:46 PM »

The guide that I went out with did not use any scent so I'm not sure whether it would have made a difference.  Maybe you should put scent on one and experiment.

Last year when I was up at Englefield, I went halie fshing with the bartender of the lodge and he outfished me.  His secret was WD-40.  If you are going to fish for some flatties, I would definately try it out.

legend

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 12:16:54 PM »

Yeah i have heard wd - 40 works well on Sturgeon as well. As for the scent and bluing agent i am planning on testing it with and with out will let you know what worked the best. This week is going to drag is it Friday YET !!!!.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 12:42:22 PM »

On an american board I follow the "salty dogs" (thats the upper echleon of salt water salmon fishers there) talk of using multiple scents on their bait!  One guy had a mixture of 3 scents for his brine, another talked about injecting his baits with anise...all sorts of wild stuff. 

So many variables when really the only one that matters one is getting your bait in front of a hungry fish!  :D

PS I think WD40 is to remove human scent from a bait...not to give a scent of its own?!?

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 01:45:49 PM »

i do believe scent play the biggest part with it comes to bottom fish. my bait of choice is not salmon belly, not herring, its the gills and gut bag.. they producted the most scent and oil but they are messy.. but who cares if you can catch fish wit it..... good luck.

legend

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 03:56:06 PM »

Might head out to Swift Sure if we get a really calm day but thats a long way of shore in a 20 foot boat if it gets ugly you could get into some serious trouble in my little boat . The hali are way out there and I think we will be concentrating on Chinook in tight to the shore and we might try the second tide lines for thoose Sockeye your all waiting to target on the Fraser and some Coho if there around yet . I have allways done well in tight to the shore for Chinooks and when we limit out on them we usually head out to deeper water and find Coho hard to keep off sometimes you can't even get your rigger down to the depth you want and Wham fish on .

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Kocher salt & Rock salt ( Port Renfrew here i come !!!!! )
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 06:57:18 PM »

If you want more bait info, check out this link:

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2701