Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano, how much delay after high tide?  (Read 1444 times)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Capilano, how much delay after high tide?
« on: July 28, 2006, 03:10:46 PM »

Hi,

I'm interested in flyfishing on the cap, and I was curious as to how many hours after high tide I should consider lining up my trips for fishing in the Cap itself? I keep hearing about new waves of fish coming in with high tide, but do they travel at night and day, and how far would they get?

I'm assuming at this point that it's best to fish the first km or so at the mouth if there is a nice high tide at midnight, and the upper the following evening of a nice high tide...

We do this on the vedder canal, general rule of thumb is approx 2.5 hours after high tide on the sandheads, you'll see a fresh wave of fish coming in.

Does this make sense, or can someone shed some light on this?

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 03:12:52 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

fishherron

• DSC00434-001
Re: Capilano, how much delay after high tide?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 09:47:47 AM »

It works for me, one hour either side of the tide change.Low or high
Fish for all your worth but, remember what the fish are worth.

fishfinder

Re: Capilano, how much delay after high tide?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 11:03:48 AM »

The hatchery guy told me years ago that if the water levels are good the fish can travel from the ocean to the hatchery in four hours or so. The river is only 5kms long. If the water is low like it is now it will probably take them a lot longer, but there should be fresh in every deep pool. The problem is that once the fish congregate in a pool for a while they become lethargic and tightlipped. It's much easier hooking fish that are on the move.