Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lots of Salmon in the Fraser at Steveston  (Read 3782 times)

gman

Lots of Salmon in the Fraser at Steveston
« on: July 27, 2006, 08:51:49 PM »

Went bike riding with the kids along the river near home in Steveston tonight, as I do most nights. It was high tide, and for the first time I've seen this year there were salmon showing steadily. You could see them off Gary Point and even in the harbour. Looks like the sockeye are starting to show in numbers.  :)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Lots of Salmon in the Fraser at Steveston
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 08:54:01 PM »

Thanks for the info!! :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 12:11:59 PM »

Strong evening high tide, pushing them in. ;) So gman, are you going to join us down there this weekend (since it will be open from Saturday) to see if a couple of them can be enticed? ;D

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 12:16:46 PM »

Omg.. im turning 16 on saturday.. I CANT FISH UNTIL I GET A LICENSE! nooo =(

gman

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 12:41:40 PM »

Strong evening high tide, pushing them in. ;) So gman, are you going to join us down there this weekend (since it will be open from Saturday) to see if a couple of them can be enticed? ;D

I'd love to try it but I'm off to Manning park this weekend. I'll be taking my kids and nephews fishing on Lightening Lakes, so it will be just like one of your fishing camps.  ;) They're getting a bit older so maybe I'll be able to fish a bit myself too.

Have you had any luck targeting sockeye around Richmond? What method? How long a leader do you use?  ;) I know people who've caught some sockeye at the box oppposite Shady Island, but methods have been questionable.  ::)

I have a boat now and was thinking about trying out near Sandheads one day. I've read a bit about how to troll for sockeye inthe salt and wouldn't mind trying it. Not sure how easy it is to have success there.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 01:13:17 PM »

Yeah, I would be curious to know if they would take a lure like a pink croc or a jig like the pinks.  Has anyone had some success in the Lower tidal Fraser?  Maybe even a small fly would work...

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 05:56:13 PM »

How long are you staying at manning for gman? I'm heading up there on monday til friday. FishKind is also gonna tag along ;)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 07:24:44 PM »

I have been toying around with an idea to get sockeye on the bar rods with more consistency. How is this for an idea?

You add a hoochie to your spin n glo setup? I know in Ontario they do this kind of thing in there rivers so why not here? Just because it is a salt thing? Well I am going to give it a go once ( and if ) they open up the non-tidal portion of the fraser.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

gman

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 09:04:11 PM »

Cody,

We'll be at Manning tilll Tuesday. We'll try to leave a few fish for you.. ;D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 09:05:48 PM by gman »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 12:17:16 AM »

In the last several years, we have encountered around five sockeyes when spinning in the Tidal Fraser River. They did not bite anything that was unique, spoons and spinners worked just fine. The last one we saw was on August 27th last year when we were getting pink salmon at the same time. Vince hooked into a large buck that he landed after these long explosive runs on the light spinning gear. They do smack a lure just like all the other salmon, but just not as often, especially with this poor water clarity.

Lots of fish moving through this evening when we went down there to observe this evening. No risers, except one that finned in front of me. The Tsawwassen First Nation had an opening so some of the boats were hauling in a fair amount of fish, that was how we knew that the fish were there.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 10:21:53 PM »

??? a hoochie to the spin&glow. let us know how that trick works. thanx for the report people  ;D