Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harper's DFO  (Read 2969 times)

silex

• VE7SL
Harper's DFO
« on: July 27, 2006, 10:36:41 AM »

Over the past several years I have witnessed dozens, if not hundreds of Georgia Straight fishing violators off the front of my place on Mayne Island. Any calls to DFO were routed to an 'answering service' and likely ignored. Yesterday, for the first time in years, I saw the DFO swoop down (really!) on the single boat that had been fishing for a short time in front of the house, near the Active Pass Light Station. I watched as they did a LOT of paperwork on these guys as well as place a few large fish in plastic bags, no doubt, as evidence of the violation. I suspect they were unlicenced, had too many Ling Cod or that they were too small but more likely these days...all three.

It seems there may be a small glimmer of hope left after all. I hope this is a sign of a new 'get tough' policy from DFO. From what I have read here regarding their higher  presence on the Vedder / Fraser this summer this may be the case. It seems that Harper's government has done more in a few weeks than what the Liberals could do in well over a decade. Hopefully the 'free-for-all' on Georgia Straight is over.  Great to see....finally.

Steve

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Harper's DFO
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 11:24:52 AM »

My thoughts exactly...I would have never dreamed of voting for harper but if he can kick some as on the waterways and keep our economy strong then he may get my vote next round...as long as he doesnt get on his holy high horse in terms of abortion and gay marriage (lets see what kinda of a S*** Storm that starts)  ;).

mrking

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 11:46:02 AM »

My thoughts exactly...I would have never dreamed of voting for harper but if he can kick some as on the waterways and keep our economy strong then he may get my vote next round...as long as he doesnt get on his holy high horse in terms of abortion and gay marriage (lets see what kinda of a S*** Storm that starts)  ;).

I was gonna say, maybe the two fisherman were gay. :) haha

Glad to hear there is something happening to those that illegally fish.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 11:54:51 AM »

here here way to go dfo keep it up ;D ;D ;D

silex

• VE7SL
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 12:11:44 PM »

I was gonna say, maybe the two fisherman were gay. :) haha

Egad, I never thought of thought....Gay abortionists I'll bet.

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 04:35:51 PM »

Yeah we finally have someone in government that makes sense. How long do you think that will last? ;)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 05:36:53 PM »

Yeah we finally have someone in government that makes sense. How long do you think that will last? ;)

Until they get a majority :(

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 05:38:58 PM »

Good one DS.  How unfortunately true.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 05:55:30 PM »

Sorry silex i have no clue about the regs there? Is it closed?

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 05:56:23 PM »

i think the early indication of what harpers plans are are mostly positive for our local fisheries and i hope that the gov is actually able to follow through on what they have been saying ,i think as users of this resource we understand most of the problems on our local flows and it appears that finally we may have someone that is willing to try and understand exactly what the issues are and is willing to start making improvements to enhance not only the fishery but the quality of the fishing experience for all user groups,but having said that, we have all heard the promises in the past with very little happening to correct the problems,time will tell exactly how committed harper really is to our precious resource,if he comes through for us and the resource i would have to consider casting a vote for him.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.