Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chinook FLies - Patern Request  (Read 4477 times)

mrking

Chinook FLies - Patern Request
« on: July 27, 2006, 07:58:00 AM »

Heading out to the Fraser tomorrow and launching from the Dewdney launch. Can anyone give a list of some chinook flies that work well in the Fraser?

Thanks!

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Chinook FLies - Patern Request
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 09:28:14 AM »

3/0 Eagle Claw with red wool and watermelon corkie.

12' of 20# leader

3oz. split shot

Cast upstream and sweep down let the fly hang a bit at the bottom of the drift just like you would for Steelhead.

Seriously though, I've used large pink and red popsicles with no luck yet but when it happens it's got to be a blast. I've seen two fish hooked on popsicles and hang on Hanna, it was explosive. I'm not sure if a 9-weight is even enough for Springs in the Fraser.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 01:33:15 PM »

For now, i would use something big and flashy.. maybe a big Zonker in orange, purple, blue...  i would not use anything smaller then a 2/0...

DBM

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 08:18:37 PM »

I've always had luck with Mikey Finns in smaller rivers.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 06:27:10 PM »

you know, a big clouser might do well too, heavy eyes on it to keep it down, plus they sit upside down so you'll get way fewer snags if youre fishing it deep enough....

I've had some success using them for a couple of species now, why springs would prefer yarn or a spin and glo would be beyond me....there are plenty of clouser patterns out there but email me and I'll describe a nice one for you...not that im a pro or anything but it works for me.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 07:21:27 PM »

#1 or 2 Popcycles in black or purple. You have to remember the Fraser is still a bit on the dark side so you want to focus on the silhouette. The pattern I came up with two years ago the "Flat Black" has netted me good success but I am not ready to share the pattern yet since I am still waiting the results of other field tests.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 10:37:48 PM »

I read an article on ocean fly fishing chinooks and the guy said he only uses silver patterns for them. I just tied up a few on stinger hooks and am gonna give um a try in the vedder for the helluva it.