Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In search of ditch eels  (Read 9577 times)

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
In search of ditch eels
« on: July 24, 2006, 05:53:15 PM »

Hey I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if I can purchase ditch eels anywhere in the lower mainland?  If I am unable to buy them, how can I harvest them myself?

Thanks in advance

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: In search of ditch eels
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 06:21:08 PM »

Try Berry's in Richmond. As to harvesting them you can no longer dig for them. You have to use hook and line.

JiG_Head

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 07:28:01 PM »

what are you looking to catch with those?  im not sure what a ditch eel is... are they saltwater or freshwater?

but i always find these eels when im out looking for sea worms... 3-5 inches long... sqirm like crazy.
the shyt talker.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 08:00:58 PM »

what are you looking to catch with those?  im not sure what a ditch eel is... are they saltwater or freshwater?

Ditch eels are one of the faved baits for sturgeon.
Zoologically, it is an amphibian, a type of salamander.

McWhackit

• fishing is life, all else is details.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 05:33:23 AM »

zoologically your out too lunch.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 12:05:25 PM »

Thanks, FF, but it's really not worth it.
Some people just don't have it in themselves to politely refute a mistake. They just make a crude remark without bothering to explain their point. That's the (dis)advantage of the Internet. It allows certain little bitty egos to look bigger and mightier.  :P

Anyway, it appears that the term 'ditch eels' is used for both the salamander species and the freshwater lampreys. I suspect, however, that in BC 'ditch eel' refers to the lamprey, not the salamander.

Maybe some experienced sturgeon fisherman can chime in and give us more information.

Tight lines,

Milo (it's past noon, so I am really out to lunch! ;D)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 01:43:29 PM »

Let's keep it civil  >:(

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 02:00:46 PM »

I have heard of guys digging them and using bails of hay as traps (they burrow in)  so indeed i do think its this burrowing  salamander...dam I would have a lot of trouble putting a hook in a salamander, especially if its alive...

JiG_Head

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 02:09:52 PM »

umm... salamanders? -_-; i find spring lizards in the woods all the time under the fallen logs and stuff... i think spring lizards is a type of salamander
the shyt talker.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 03:28:09 PM »

Don't you use a horse head to attract the eels, and then hand bomb them in a can?
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 04:56:49 PM »

thanks for the info guys, I'll call around to see if I can purchase any.

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 08:20:58 AM »

You are correct about the ditch eel/lamprey connection...they always have been classified as a fin fish so basically a hook is required for catching....this being said the "boys" looked the other way when people use to use "baskets" of hay in the sloughs off the Fraser to catch them...and as with most things this became rampant, traps got bigger and the worst part was some were left and forgotten about...the forgotten ones usually ended up causing some blockage in the slough(s) resulting in higher than normal water levels and in some cases minor flooding...(yes flooding...several traps ending up in one location acting as a dam!!)

So MY understanding of the situation now is that you must hook your ditch eel/lamprey OR find someone who will import them from Washington where it is not illegal to sell them as a bait...this being said if anyone knows someone who importsd them PLEASE let me know as I would like to purchase a large order...when a local company use to sell them we use to buy 10-15 dozen at a time...best year round bait for sturgeon bar non.....

Mike