Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assault Of The Vedder River  (Read 6920 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Assault Of The Vedder River
« on: July 23, 2006, 10:15:33 PM »

I went out an hour or so before dark along the Vedder Canal for a drive. What I saw was not something I expected. There was people everywhere especially by the Keith Wilson Bridge. I guess I should have known the record high temperatures of late would have people looking for any body of water to cool off, nothing wrong with that.

However some of these people seem to have no respect for our treasured waterway as they had left garbage everywhere from inner tubes, diapers, corn cobs. bottles, tins, discarded clothes, footware, even a rubber raft, and everything else imaginable. The sorry thing was a number of volunteers had just cleaned this area up last weekend at the CVRCC's 3rd cleanup of the year.

What really hurt was someone had even spray painted the Fraser Valley Salmon Society's Adopt a River sign along the Rotary Trail. :'(

Then to top it off 2 individuals, one on a motor bike and another on a ATV drove across the side channel and ripped around on the sand bar. I know I should have said something but I would have most likely put myself in peril. I did not have my cell phone with me to call in some enforcement so I just watched and fummed as I cleaned up some of the garbage. (That filled the Leaf Mobile so I need to go back for another load one day this week)

My first though was we should close the access down but I quickly dismissed that idea as we have fought so hard the last few years to keep these area's open all along the corridor and why penalize others that do care.

One thing I am considering is pushing politically for ATV's and all motor bikes are to be licensed, at least then you have something to identify these characters that are ripping up the riparian zone and in the wetted area.This may not be the most popular move but what I saw today made me looking for some answers to this growing problem.

All in all a sad day to end the weekend and it leaves me with a heavy heart that so many donot seem to care for our precious rivers and continue to assault them day after day. :( :'(

I hope they sleep better than I will tonight. >:(

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Re: Assault Of The Vedder River
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 10:19:51 PM »

wow... thats so upsetting to hear chris....

Some people have no respect for resources.... I like your idea of licensing the bikes....if you start a petition let me know.. thanks
see ya on the river

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 12:43:46 AM »

How devastating and discouraging, just when we thought we almost have it under control!

Conservation and RCMP officers should focus on these locations where frequent activities take place on busy hot summer weekends.

Nostro

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 08:02:13 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, Chris. I urge everyone who fishes these areas to take your garbage back out with you and if you have a free hand, pick up some others' crap as well.
I think posting and enforcing a speed limit would be a great start. Many times I have witnessed these bikes and ATV's ripping along the dyke at top speed and everytime I just hoped that someone would not be in their way. There are many people, including children and the elderly, who do not move as fast as you or I. Many time I have thought of stopping these speeders but I cannot even point at a speed by-law or anything else.
Never look a fish in the eye.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 12:21:27 PM »

I was comming home from upper river, and took the drive along keith wilson road, and over the bridge, and man what a mess, it was about 7:00pm when i went across, and PEOPLE EVRYWERE. I saw A couple fishermen trying to fish with kids out in the middle of the water swimming. I couldnt imagine the mess that was left behind.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 12:36:25 PM »

Chris, I understand how heartbreaking it must be seeing something like that !!! I was up at the limit hole for a bit on Sunday afternoon and I have to say that what I saw was quite disgusting!! there is garbage everywhere!! I picked up some line and a few bags of garbage but I didn't even put a dent in it... so many young people use that river for there partying and camping.. yesterday it looked like a long weekend, the traffic was ridiculous and there were about 10 kids every hundred feet all up and down the river!!! after seeing that I now understand how the river gets so bad!! how can people leave the riverr like that and feel good about themselves, it is absolutely unthinkable!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at least I can honestly say that it wasn't the anglers causing the problems this weekend!!!!!  there needs to be some sort of enforcement up there, I mean with the amount of kids on that river they could give out enough fines to run the precinct for the next year !!!! someone in government needs to give their head a shake and realize how big of a problem this has become, if it wasn't for people like you Chris , this river would be a write off!!!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 06:02:20 PM »

Unfortunately, the only thing I can see to reduce the problem is more enforcement by Police and the City of Chilliwack.  If something is not done, it is only a matter of time before access to certain sections of the river will be restricted or simply not allowed at all. It certainly is disturbing how little respect some people have for our precious rivers and forests.

fishfinder

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 10:12:31 PM »

It's a shame so much garbage has surfaced since the cleanup. There are simply too many hicks for the police to control. If you are at the KWB don't drive under the bridge as the party kids have left behind thousands of nails from the burned pallets.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 11:09:53 PM »

Awh Chris, I'm really sorry to hear about that, it seems as though the river is now the IT place to be, as it's free... The lake is too far and the traffic is horrid, plus there are patrols out pouring open liquor at the lake, so it makes sense the losers are going elsewere...

Why Can't there be no overnight camping or parking bylaws put into place? The dykes stay open, and the city can make big bucks in fines for vehicle owners...

Getting tough should be easy, the paddywagons night be in short supply though ;)

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 11:11:57 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 11:50:19 PM »

Two possible causes:
1 -Those rowdies are from Abbotsford.
2 -The air up the valley gets thick with nitrogen from chicken droppings and it has a detrimental affect on things.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 12:10:25 AM »

Wow, what sucks most, is that when you tell them.. they will just tell you to *!@# off.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 05:11:56 PM »

Chris, email or pm me and I'll give you a hand cleaning up. I'm available all mornings and can meet you on the river. It really is quite disgusting to see all this garbage especially just after a clean up.
Thanks Gord, you are just great, always willing to help as you do during the CVRCC scheduled cleanups and helping at the All About Fishing Event this past Spring.

I am going to KWB (Chilliwack side) at 8:30 am tomorrow (Wed.) to a little touchup. Donot make a special trip though as I can handle it myself. I want to go in the water and cleanup some debris on and around the gravel bar. I plan to be there for about an hour as I have another engagement around 10:30. If I get done in time I may reward myself with breakfast at Cookies afterwards. ;D ;D ;D

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 12:49:07 PM »

Disgusting  >:(

thanx to you guys that keep this problem under control, I can only imagine how bad the river would be without the work you do!!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 03:28:54 PM »

Thanks very much Gord for coming down to deal with the garbage this morning and for posting the pictures. Also to Terry for dealing with the graffiti on the sign. Lew will be happy with the $3 for the CVRCC coffers that we made on tins also.

I hope we are rewarded with a chinook each on our bar fishing trip tomorrow. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 10:25:03 PM »

Awh Chris, I'm really sorry to hear about that, it seems as though the river is now the IT place to be, as it's free... The lake is too far and the traffic is horrid, plus there are patrols out pouring open liquor at the lake, so it makes sense the losers are going elsewere...

Why Can't there be no overnight camping or parking bylaws put into place? The dykes stay open, and the city can make big bucks in fines for vehicle owners...

Getting tough should be easy, the paddywagons night be in short supply though ;)

Cheers,
Nicole
We are working on what you have mentioned Nicole but things do not move as fast as one would like at times.