Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flyfishing 101 needed!! please help a newbie :)  (Read 6278 times)

Sinaran

Flyfishing 101 needed!! please help a newbie :)
« on: July 18, 2006, 11:37:03 PM »

yo guys , i have long been planning to get into fly fishing, although i know it's more complicated, harder and more expensive than chucking gear!
I need to know ....how do i start???  like, what fly setup is good for a beginner like me, yet still enough to handle salmon.  ;)   where can i get a good deal on these equippments in the lower mainland??  lots of me to catch up with i know. but fly fishing is helluva fun thing to do!  thanks again, every one. :)
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
Re: Flyfishing 101 needed!! please help a newbie :)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 11:52:12 PM »

Hmmm... kinda hard to answer your question as it is too vague?

What are you planning to fish for and what kind of a budget (if any) do you have?  One of the problems with fly fishing is that not one rod will NOT cover all applications or types of fish.  Therefore, if possible, you need to narrow it down a bit.

Where do you live?  Try going to the local fishing store and let them know that you want to start flyfishing.  They will have pretty much all of the solutions to your questions and at the same time you will be establishing a relationship with them.  This is usually a good thing.

Shane

Sinaran

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 03:59:51 PM »

i guess it's not that simple too, as the type of flies, sink/dry line or etc do make difference in fly fishing too. i guess i should go to a local tackle shop to ask for suggestion, as u mentioned, they always have the answers when asked.  thanks a lot shane!
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

mrking

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 11:14:30 AM »

Where are you located we can recommend the best shops in your area.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 04:36:28 PM »

Sinaran, since you are in Vancouver area (according to the subscription information ;) ), I recommend you to go into Anglers West at Broadway and Cambie. Talk to Scott and his staff, let them know your situation and they will equip you with the most suitable gear. While you're at it, Sign up for a flycasting class with Scott, or with Newsman on the forum (should have been at Fish for the Future, the classes were free then ;) ). With proper guidance from those who have been doing it for a long time, you'll have a lot more fun targeting fish on the fly this fall.

Sinaran

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 10:22:27 PM »

mrking, yes Rod is right that i locate in vancouver. but since i work in richmond, so i usually get my fishing stuffs at the Berry's. been to Angler west once, a little expensive though..  ;)   so it's better to take the fly casting class? okie, sounds good.  how much that usually costs though? my budget for the fly gear is under $400, and some extra for the class too of course. thanks guys~!
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Stone

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 11:37:39 PM »

mrking, yes Rod is right that i locate in vancouver. but since i work in richmond, so i usually get my fishing stuffs at the Berry's. been to Angler west once, a little expensive though..  ;)   so it's better to take the fly casting class? okie, sounds good.  how much that usually costs though? my budget for the fly gear is under $400, and some extra for the class too of course. thanks guys~!

When I used to work at M&Y, flycasting lessons were going for about $40/hr, and you can split them into 2 - 1/2 hr lessons.  It's best to get some professional guidance when you're just starting to learn how to flyfish, because once muscle memory sets in and you develop bad casting habits, they are very difficult to unlearn.

Count on spending about $150 for a decent starter flyrod/reel/floating line combo to get you started.  Dragonfly makes some great entry level rods and reels, and a Scientific Anglers Headstart floating line will put you back only about $30.  Regularly check the classifieds sections of the local fishing boards like this one for deals on used equipment.  A 9' 6wt flyrod combo is probably the most versatile setup that you can get.  It will throw larger flies, and have enough backbone for all trout fishing as well as some smaller salmon fishing.  Oh...and as a beginner, don't pick out the fastest actioned rod out there.  Pool cues don't allow you to feel the rod load and unload as well, and are harder to learn flycasting with.  They are also less forgiving, and a slight mistake in timing or casting motion often means your loop goes out of whack.  Find a decent medium-fast actioned entry level rod like the Dragonfly Expedition (about $59).  Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 11:40:58 PM by Stone »

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 03:24:41 PM »

I agree with Stone, great advise. The only thing I could add is; "DON't GET SUCKED INTO BUYING A ROD THAT IS TOO LIGHT!!!!!!!" When learning to cast it is imperative that you can feel the line loading the rod on a proper cast, if the rod is too light you won't feel it. So 6 or 7 weigth for guys 5 or 6 weight for gals (remember boys the ladies have a different muscle and bone structure than us guys do). 
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Sinaran

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 11:20:49 PM »

thanks a lot guys... i mean, that really helps!  i am gonna take all the suggestion here and try to come out with a final decision (a little expensive, that's why).  i really look forward to join this fly fishing family soon. :)

thanks again, u guys r just great..   
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 06:30:29 PM »

The only bit i can really offer to add to the really great advice these guys have already given is to start on trout instead of salmon.  Fighting a big fish on the flyreel is an experience in itself, and you should probably only do it once youre comfortable with your setup in general....would you guys agree?

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 07:23:11 PM »

Agreed
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"