Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Fly fisherman  (Read 6837 times)

shawn_john

New Fly fisherman
« on: July 13, 2006, 11:36:55 AM »

I just started fly fishing this past year before i usually just trolled a fly with sinking line in the lakes, but this year i took some lesson an more into flyfishing. i was wondering if someone can tell me what the difference is between the weight in the flylines. i have been using a 8wt sinking line with a 8'6 rod  for rainbow trout. i am looking to get a nice fly rod an wanted to see what would be best flyline weight for flyfishing to rainbow trout.

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: New Fly fisherman
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 03:42:39 PM »

From your post, it looks like you have an 8 weight fly rod.  If that is the case, maybe in the future, you might want to go down to a 6 weight fly rod. That is a good all around fly rod to have as you can use it on lakes and rivers. The lighter rod would be more enjoyable to cast and to allow you to feel the fight of the rainbows better. As far as lines go, might want to pick up a floating fly line, and a sink tip or intemediate fly line.

shawn_john

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 05:55:25 PM »

thanks dennyman for the information. ya i have just a cheaper berkley rod with sinking line when i troll the lakes, but my birthdays coming up soon so that why i wanted to know about the line weights. i want a good fly fishing rod so know i will look out for a 6wt rod and the lines. thanks

shawn_john

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 05:58:47 PM »

what size of fly rod would be the best for the lakes something around 9ft or 9'6 to get the line out and have a good fight on the rod?

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 06:35:20 PM »

I think you wil be happy with 9 to 9.5
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

shawn_john

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 08:58:02 PM »

OK i will start browsing around for that size. thanks for the information.

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 08:01:09 PM »

You can get a line that is the same weight as the rod or 1 up, a 5 or 6 wt rod would show you the difference between rod weights than the 8 wt and a lighter rod. So a 5wt with a 5 wt or 6wt line would work
There's nothing like feeling a fish on a lighter weight rod.
After that is learning how to fish with imitation bugs (flys)
That's a whole new interesting fishery, types, depths, retrieves, times to fish certian bugs, terrain, times of year, elevations, lake alkanility, color of the water, whats hatching, what was hatching,what is hatching next,inspection of the bugs on the water, inspection of the bugs in the weeds and whats crawling up the shoreline.
Think like a fish and the enviroment around you, shoals, dropoffs, and holes, freshwater springs the wind the temperate , the time of year.
remember fish are lazy, shallow to deep with little distance.

Good luck and good fishin :)
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Redeye

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 11:59:47 AM »

You can get a line that is the same weight as the rod or 1 up, a 5 or 6 wt rod would show you the difference between rod weights than the 8 wt and a lighter rod. So a 5wt with a 5 wt or 6wt line would work
There's nothing like feeling a fish on a lighter weight rod.
After that is learning how to fish with imitation bugs (flys)
That's a whole new interesting fishery, types, depths, retrieves, times to fish certian bugs, terrain, times of year, elevations, lake alkanility, color of the water, whats hatching, what was hatching,what is hatching next,inspection of the bugs on the water, inspection of the bugs in the weeds and whats crawling up the shoreline.
Think like a fish and the enviroment around you, shoals, dropoffs, and holes, freshwater springs the wind the temperate , the time of year.
remember fish are lazy, shallow to deep with little distance.

Good luck and good fishin :)

Perhaps I could put in my 2 cents since people have explained that you can use different weight lines on different rods (for example a 6wt line on a 5 wt rod) but I don't see anybody giving the reasons why you would do that.  Some of the stuff I say may sound stupid but just remeber I'm saying this so beginner flyfishermen will understand.

A fly rod works by using the power from bend/flex of the rod when you cast it.  Changing the weight of the line will change how the rod flexes, thus changing the cast.  Typically if you buy a 5wt rod, you should buy a 5 wt line because that rod was designed to bend/flex in order to achieve the cast that the designers of the rod had intended.

Puting a 6wt line on a 5wt rod will result in more bend/flex in the rod compared with the same lenght of 5wt line out.  What this means is it will load up the rod much faster.  In simiple terms, this means you can get your line to cast out faster with less false casts, but the downside is you will not be able to cast as far because you will overload your rod.  Good for little streams/lakes where you don't need to cast distance, but you want to get in as many casts as you can since when you are false casting you are not likely to catch any fish.

Puting a 4wt line on a 5 wt rod will result in less bend/flex in the rod compared with the same length of 5wt line our.  What this means is it will take more length of line to load up the rod.  In simple terms, this means you can get more length of line out before overloading the fly rod meaning you can cast further distances, but the downside is you will need more false casts to load of the rod.  Good for large rives/lakes where you don't want to spook a fish or you need the distance to reach a certain part of the drift on a river.

This may not make sense you some, but once you have casted a flyrod, you will understand what I mean by loading a rod.  Also please note, that some rod manufactures will not warranty their rods if they know you have put on a higher wt line.  Most will accept a one digit jump (like using a 6wt on 5wt rod), but almost positive they will not warranty if you have used a 7wt on a 5wt rod.  They will never know if you don't tell them.  Just remember anytime you want to warranty a rod always say you broke it fighting a fish.  Some rods will come with something like 4/5wt designation.  This just means the manufacturer is recommending the use of either a 4 or 5 wt line.

Bottom line...  if you are a beginner flycaster, you should stick to the spcified line for that rod.  This will result in a much easier learning curve.  One you are more advanced and you would notice the advantages of less false casts or longer distance casts, then you can start customizing your line and rod combos.

Using lighter gear is definitely more fun but that is a reflection on the wt of rod you choose, the line wt will not affect the playability of the sport, only the casting.

Using an 8wt rod on the lakes is probably overkill.  For lakes, I prefer a 4wt.  But anything up to 6wt is good.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 01:00:49 PM by Redeye »

shawn_john

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 05:45:05 PM »

yeah that all makes sense to me what you wrote above. i ended up goin with a 9 foot 6wt rod and i really noticed a difference when getting a 16'' trout on the new rod what a fight you can feel were before it was an okay fight but i notice a difference in the rods and glad i switched more of a fight with you and the fish playing it out. 8)

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 09:13:54 PM »

A good beginners rod is a 5wt for small lakes with average fish, and a 6wt for big lakes with big fishies!  My first rod was a 6wt and i managed just fine with it, it kept the big lunkers under control( I wish) No but the 6 weight is a great choice!  If u have enough money buy a sage or loomis rod with matching reel!   If ur dead broke like the rest of us get a simple fenwick, with an islander reel!  Cortland, or syentific angler fly lines are good!  Oh and don't forget to buy a couple flies, like i did and had to stop in Lytton to get a few!
Fish killer 101

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 05:54:40 PM »

If youre JUST fishing lakes and rivers for trout around here, I'd go with a 4 weight.  6 is great if youre using it as an all-round rod, but if youre specifically targeting these smaller (on average) coastal fish I'd go lighter.  That said 6 is a great all round rod and can get you into some larger fish as well as still provide good fun for smaller ones too, it will also mean you exhaust the fish less while playing them since it wont take you as long to land them.  Up to you! Actually considering you have an 8 wt, I'd say go for the 4 all the way....you can use the 8 for coho, pink and springs (when you get used to it!!)....the 4 will be MUCH more fun for trout. I like a 9'6" rod though you can have a blast on small streams with shorter rods.  Really depends what type of fishing you want to do.  For lines, the multitip line solutions are great.  Very worth it for any lake or river set up and you wont need to purchase extra spools for your reel ($$$!).  I know alot of purists that love them too...theres no stopping common sense!  In my experience my cheaper reels perform just as well as my 500 dollar ones...in some cases better...with any gear you get, its all about warranty warranty warranty.  Keep that in mind...