Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When is it no longer fishing?  (Read 4396 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
When is it no longer fishing?
« on: July 10, 2006, 10:05:49 AM »

Some of the advances in "fishing technology"

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.07/start.html?pg=7

At what point do we stop calling it "fishing"?

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: When is it no longer fishing?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 10:20:05 AM »

I think the Berkley line they are talking about in the article is Vanish Transition which is made out of flourocarbon not Dyneema.  Transition is gold above water and clear underwater.  I haven't used the transition myslef but if it is anything like the original Vanish flourocarbon line then it is absolute crap.  Dyneema is very similar to spectra which is what braided line is made out of.  Most North American Braids are made from spectra which is slightly superior to Dyneema.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 11:19:39 AM »

"FISH CALL
The Fish Activator underwater speaker uses six digitally mastered sounds to attract prey. Choose from tracks like “Distressed Bait” and “Shad Clicks.” They were all perfected by scientists from Louisiana- based Biosonix Systems and recorded in a 957-gallon tank. The audio was tested in lakes, where fish reaction was monitored via underwater videocams."

I 'd like to see the research video before coughing up the cash for that snake call. What says it won't call in every freaking seal for miles around. :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 01:12:16 PM »

Hmm,, Fish call eh??? That would be kind of funny if you were out in the ocean, and sharks came =P

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 02:17:16 PM »

Agree with Eagleye on Vanish. It's garbage.

David

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 02:58:56 PM »

I've heard about the digital lures (emmiting a pulse), apparently everyone is now using them on the Great Lakes with astounding success!!!  I know that there is a Hootchie that also emits an electrical pulse, not sure if that is what this artical is referring to.  I asked around a couple of local tackle shops, but as with most things they don't seem to have made it this far West yet. ::)

There are certain makes of fluorocarbon line that outfish normal mono hands down.  People are even using it for Northern Pike and Muskie fishing out east, instead of wire traces!  Might be handy for those of you who troll in the chuck for the salmon then get pestered by the Dogfish, instead of having to change your leader after every dogfish 'cos it's frayed the **** out of your mono.  It is definitely what I would use out there!

Happy technofishing.

David

David

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 03:03:15 PM »

I forgot to mention that although I know of makes of Fluorocarbon, I don't know the names of any out here.  The ones I know are on the market back in the UK.
However I can tell you that the ones I have seen are definitely not Gold in colour, they are completely clear both below and above the water.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 05:54:04 PM »

Transition is the only flouro I know of that changes color.  My two favorite flourocarbon lines that are available here are Gamma and Seaguar. In that order.  Gamma uses a special process (the same used in making tennis raquets) that results in a stronger, thinner diameter line with good knot strength.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 06:25:46 PM by Eagleye »

David

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 06:46:05 PM »

That's it - Seaguar is the make of the one that I have seen used for the Pike and Muskie!

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 09:34:03 AM »

I've heard about the digital lures (emmiting a pulse), apparently everyone is now using them on the Great Lakes with astounding success!!!  I know that there is a Hootchie that also emits an electrical pulse, not sure if that is what this artical is referring to.  I asked around a couple of local tackle shops, but as with most things they don't seem to have made it this far West yet. ::)

I have not seen a hootchie with an electronic pulse but I think you may be reffering to the E chip.  The only lures I have seen around here with the chip are the apex trolling lures.  My cousin fishes these off the back of his drift boat in the US for steelies with good success.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 09:38:51 AM by Eagleye »

David

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 10:30:21 AM »

Thanks Eagleye, you keep helping me out here - the E-chip is exactly what I'm thinking about.
 I just found this http://www.gamefishin.com/rpts/rmain1.asp?State=&County=&Body= (sorry not sure how to hyper link)
If you look about three quaters of the way down the page, you'll see a posting from Phil of Anderson County, saying that he caught his fish on a Green and Blue Hootchie with a Green E chip flasher.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 10:59:17 AM »

Your welcome  ;)  That's what this site is for. :)