Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser BB report June 23rd  (Read 3239 times)

BH123

Fraser BB report June 23rd
« on: June 23, 2006, 10:52:17 AM »

BB the Fraiser yeaturaday. Seen 6-8 springs hooked plus two sockeye released by the same guy. I hooked 1 spring but lost it cause I was fooling around. I casted out very far then put the rod in the holder to take a pee. Sure enough while in the middle of doing my business, the rod doubles over. I jump on the rod to feel one head shake then its gone. Fished for another 6 hours with rod in hand and didn't touch a thing. Things seem to be picking up. Water is very high but looked like it is starting to drop. 3-5 inches of vis.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 04:23:19 PM by Rodney »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Fraiser BB report
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 12:38:28 PM »

I was fooling around. I casted out very far then put the rod in the holder to take a pee. Sure enough while in the middle of doing my business, the rod doubles over. I jump on the rod to feel one head shake then its gone

WOW WOW, to much information ,this is a fishing site, Im glad you had agood time but too much info.  ;D
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 02:49:24 PM »

I.ve heard thru the grapevine there will be an annoucement by DFO on Monday emphasizing to use selective methods (bar fish) to fish for chinook. If too many early Stuart sockeye are being flossed there will be NO FISHING in the Fraser.
Yes, very important to fish selectively starting now or we may see a closure to all angling for salmon.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 04:20:06 PM »

That is great news and will make it better for everyone once again.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fraser BB report June 23rd
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 04:43:41 PM »

FN0460-Sockeye: Region 2 - Fraser River Non-tidal Waters - Closure

Spawning escapement targets are developed each annually for each of the four Fraser River sockeye stock aggregates.  For 2006, the Early Stuart sockeye are forecast to return at numbers insufficient to meet the proposed escapement target.  Management actions are being undertaken in all fisheries and for all sectors to minimize impacts on these stocks.  The Early Stuart sockeye stock aggregate is forecast to begin entering the Fraser River during the last week of June.

Effective 00:01 hours June 26, the non-tidal waters of the Fraser River from the CPR Bridge at Mission, BC upstream to the Highway No. 1 Bridge at Hope, BC are closed to fishing for sockeye.

During this critical migration timing for Early Stuart sockeye, the recreational community will be required to fish selectively for chinook.  The first principle of selective harvest is to avoid catching non-targeted stocks.  This means that anglers are requested to use angling methods that do not catch sockeye.

The second principle of selective harvest is to release sockeye in the manner which causes the least harm.  Information on catch and release tips can be found here.

Notes:

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal waters of British Columbia.  This includes all species of fish in the Fraser River.

The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped chinook and coho salmon.  Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment.  Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation?  If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-FISH.

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0460
Sent June 23, 2006 at 1537

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=89684&ID=recreational

buck

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 04:47:49 PM »

Ban BB until sockeye opening and then close it again once sockeye openings have concluded.

Copper Koski

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 04:48:27 PM »

Cant Wait to get out there ;D 40lb leader and 6/0 hooks should do the trick

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 06:17:31 PM »

I.ve heard thru the grapevine there will be an annoucement by DFO on Monday emphasizing to use selective methods (bar fish) to fish for chinook. If too many early Stuart sockeye are being flossed there will be NO FISHING in the Fraser.
They say that every year too bad they dont renenforce that. I will be willing to bet they will add the 1 meter leader restriction and thats it but i see very little people follow that.

P.S. I have had better luck on fraser spring BB with 1 meter leader. :P
[

Copper Koski

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 06:50:42 PM »

Lol you cant floss with a 3 foot leader. 15-25 foot leaders work best for me :P.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 08:25:41 PM by Chronic Flosser »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 07:26:48 PM »

Lol you cant floss with a 3 foot leader. 15-25 foot leaders work best for me.

Are you trolling, looking to start something so you can sit back and watch the fight??
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

The_Other_Gman

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 07:28:04 PM »

Lol you cant floss with a 3 foot leader. 15-25 foot leaders work best for me.

Are you trolling, looking to start something so you can sit back and watch the fight??

Bingo

Copper Koski

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 08:14:17 PM »

I was just kidding  I cant wait to get out there.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 10:31:02 AM by Chronic Flosser »

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 08:19:06 PM »

Troutslayer was out today, but he wont post about it cuz he got skunked. ;D  Chuck is the place to be (hopefully), thats why i'll be there tomorow.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 08:52:36 PM »

There's no such thing as selective fishing methods, as long as you have a hook in the water, it's game for anything.

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 06:39:11 AM »

No fly-fishing with heavily weighted hooks either?