Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grizzly/Polar Hybred  (Read 4764 times)

mark

Re: Grizzly/Polar Hybred
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 08:19:33 PM »

Well I must say that bear was a rare find indeed. I hope it wasn't the coca-cola bear. LOL.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 09:35:23 PM »

Some of us practice catch and realease, some choose to havest fish, either way is fine with me as is harvesting a deer or moose for food... but I doubt anyone here has killed a fish intentionally that didn't make it to the dinner table. 

How many people do you think kill Chums for their berries and chuck the rest? Probably a lot more than me and you would like to think.

I haven't killed a bear yet but from what i've heard it's better for you than beef as long as it's prepared well. I hope after spending all that money they'd want to consume it. Actually I believe you have to do something with it or else it's illegal just to take the hide. In the NWT by law you have to be accompanied by a guide while hunting big game, that can add a huge cost to any hunting trip so spending $50,000 doesn't mean he's out there just for the hide.

BCHunter

• Greenhorn Houndsman
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 08:38:12 PM »

as a hunter i can see why the guy would be upset not to be able to keep the hide..but the client should have his money returned for the guiding service they provided period.

A grizzly bear is not an animal you can hunt every season, unless you have the money to hire a guide and pay big money for a tag...but also guides and us residents are limited on the number of tags issued each year....For us BC residents we have to enter a raffle draw each year in hopes of getting a tag...(Limited Entry Hunts) and believe me they don't give out many authorizations ..... grizzly bear hunting is simply a wildlife management tool, tags are issued for areas only with good or high numbers of grizzlies

i was lucky enough to get a tag this year for a grizzly for Sept 1-Nov 30, and i hope to get one too. ;D

I incorrect in assuming (and its nothing more than that as I am no hunter) that bear meat does not make good table fair?

grizzly bear doesn't bylaw need to be consumed, so yes you can shoot it...take its hide and skull and leave the rest. The reason why is because of the things it eats...dead rotting animal..etc.. :P

black bears on the other hand have to be comsumed, there mainly plant eaters... i kill two every year and eat the meat...and keep or give away the hides. I simply don't shoot the first one i see either, to me its more than that...for example i use hounds to hunt bears..when the bear is treed i take a few pictures decide if its big enough and move on

here is a bear i spotted, i let it live
http://www.huntingfootage.com/data/511/MOV02872.MPG

and a small bear my hounds treed..let it leave too
http://www.huntingfootage.com/data/538/MOV03062.MPG

those videos are from this past spring

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2006, 10:36:48 PM »

Sweet videos.  ya get real close

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006, 11:07:52 PM »

Bear meat is good if prepared correctly, like any game animal i suppose..I had to freeze mine for a few weeks and then cook it throughly I had it made into sausage, nice ones like garlic and summer sausage for lunch meats etc. Was excellent.

Wish I had the time to hunt more...Ah Kids and college coming up soon makes for a hectic life..I've found "most" hunters like most fisherman are the best conservationists out there, kind of an oxymoron but true.