Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grizzly/Polar Hybred  (Read 4769 times)

mark

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Grizzly/Polar Hybred
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 09:56:06 AM »

hmmmm, thats interesting
weeeeeeeeeow!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 01:09:27 PM »

Loves those big game hunters...give him a bow or a knife and then he can really be proud to hang that skin on his wall back at the ranch.  ::)

ko

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 04:37:09 PM »

why shoot a bear,especially up north , o yeh sport hunters. meatballs

limit time

• http://www.svmatch.com/allusers/4/
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 06:42:37 PM »

whats a meatball?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 07:21:47 PM »

Doesn't sound too complimentary. ;)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 07:35:15 PM »

What this, everyone wants to slag the Hunter, and not talk about the Bear?? ???  I thought that the Griz/Polar was the interesting part of the story, but I guess that is not the case!! :-[  It was to bad the bear was shot, BUT, the shooter was on a guided trip that cost him $50,000!! 
  Gooey, you sound pretty tough, why don't you take an 800lb bear down with a bow or a knife ???  Maybe because you can't take one of those down with either!!  If you tried, all you would do is put the bear into more pain, and a blind rage, and you would be dead!!  I don't hunt, I haven't since we went out Rabbit hunting and I couldn't pull the trigger!!  But I do know enough not to bring a sling shot to a gun fight!! 
Why shoot a bear up north??  Because there was an opening, that's why.  Why there would be an opening, I don't know!!  But a smart guy like you could figure it out!! ;)  Besides, if 1 guy payed $50000 for the trip, I could imagine that some communities in the north could really use the money coming in!! :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 08:07:10 PM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 08:05:38 PM »

hmm, here we have someone who will kill a beautiful fish, but not a rabbit? sounds like a poacher to me. ;D jk
The Bigger The Better!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 08:08:31 PM »

Well, you see BFer, I always have fish, so I have no need to kill more than what I would need!! ;) Besides, I am a lousy shot anyways!! ::) ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 08:15:29 PM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

drift

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 08:11:15 PM »

Well, you see BFer, I always have fish, so I have no need to kill more than what I would need!!   ;)Besides, I am a lousy shot anyways!! ::) ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 07:15:05 AM »

I fish AND hunt....both are the same in my eyes...don't knock what I do and I won't knock what you do.... :-X >:(

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 09:52:50 AM »

Moosefinder, I don't think that anyone is knocking hunters in general and maybe I should have said Trophy hunters as opposed to big game hunters.

In the articacle, the line that bugged me is that this guy was worried he wasn't going to get to keep the pelt.  I imagine that bear was not killed for the meat....I wouldnt pay $50,000 for 800 lbs of bear meat and neither did this guy...he paid $50,000 to hang a trophy on his wall.  I dont think any of us fish (or hunters) for that reason.  And even if we did want a trophy, fishers dont have to kil for one with fiberglass replicas etc.

I just find it a shame that a bear was killed for a pelt....if you look at a rack of antlers on a wall, at least it a safe assumption that  rest of the animal went to good use as food.

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 02:08:58 PM »

Gooey - Quit rightly the hunter was worried that he is not going to keep the trophy. The way the government carried on at first making him look like a poacher and all. Only to find out later that indeed it was a hybrid bear, after they spent all that taxpayers money on the DNA testing nonsense.

The meat of that bear is spoiled and he still waits for an apology for being treated like a poacher. Who cares how much money he spent to fulfill his dream to hunt bears in Canada, if he has the money and he obviously does, why not. Are we stooping so low now that we judge a hunter, or fisher for that matter, on how much money he/she will fork over to hunt/fish and on what he/she does with the animal hunted? The fact is trophy hunter or meat hunter he had a license to hunt and that is exactly what he did. The motives behind it are nobodies business, he did everything by the book and according to the law.

So who are we to knock him for it. I am not trying to start something here, but I can get a tad annoyed with this nonstop finger pointing some fishers and hunters feel entitled too if something does not jibe with the way they feel and see things. I guess the next step then would be to questions this hunters ethics and morrals, another hobby some fishers/hunters indulge in. As hunters and fishers, we kill things there are no nice words to put it and it is our right to do so. If someone chooses not practise catch and release or take a photo then that is that persons choice but it does not make him/her a more ethical hunter/fisher, just different.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 02:14:00 PM by huntwriter »
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 03:49:32 PM »

Some of us practice catch and realease, some choose to havest fish, either way is fine with me as is harvesting a deer or moose for food... but I doubt anyone here has killed a fish intentionally that didn't make it to the dinner table. 

I think you are missing my point Huntwriter, you are free to disagree with it, but I think you missed it all the same. I think it is a shame to kill any animal for nuthing more than to inflate one's EGO....bragging rights.  A trophy hunt isnt much more than that in my eyes. 

And its such a special event for this guy, now he is going to go shoot a grizzly according to the article.  If there was a purple bear, maybe he'd would want to shoot one of those too...just like a happy meal toy, you can collect the entire set!!!  That would be REALLY cool!

Sarcasm aside, am I incorrect in assuming (and its nothing more than that as I am no hunter) that bear meat does not make good table fair?  Lets say there was no hang up with the game warden...would the meat from that bear have been consumed?  My guess is no.   If I am wrong and the product of this hunt was more than just a pelt for the wall (ie the rest of the bear wasnt wasted) then I can be a little more accepting of that bear's demise. 

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 07:15:16 PM »

Sarcasm aside, am I incorrect in assuming (and its nothing more than that as I am no hunter) that bear meat does not make good table fair?  Lets say there was no hang up with the game warden...would the meat from that bear have been consumed?  My guess is no.   If I am wrong and the product of this hunt was more than just a pelt for the wall (ie the rest of the bear wasnt wasted) then I can be a little more accepting of that bear's demise. 

Personally I do not like bear meat, however there are a lot of hunters who think that bear meat is something very delicious. Neither do I like cat fish yet other fishers will disagree with me and like it very much.

As for trophy hunters. The great majority of them are good conservationists, in that they are only after big mature animals. Of course it is your good right to disagree with that sort of hunting or trophy fishing. However, we all have different reasons why we hunt or fish and I think it is just beautiful that we all can have our reasons be that for food or to hang them on the wall.

To agree or disagree is fine, even welcome to any debate but when it ends in name calling (not that you did that) or to say that these hunters/fishers are less "worth" or even down right "wrong" is in my opinion not only in very taste but also an insult to a person or persons we do not know personally.
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/