Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moon phases  (Read 4009 times)

Bone

Moon phases
« on: May 09, 2006, 04:37:55 PM »

So just wondering what you guys have noticed when fishing during the moon phases. Do you catch more fish during peak lunar phases  or less?

bone.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: Moon phases
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 05:41:13 PM »

well from what I have heard the best fishing is during a New Moon and the worst fishing is during a Full Moon, I have never tried it out however  ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 05:51:04 PM »

well from what I have heard the best fishing is during a New Moon and the worst fishing is during a Full Moon, I have never tried it out however  ;D

Well, that is because you actually have to catch fish in order to try out this theory!!! ;D ;D
But a couple of years ago, I would actually plan my "sick" days around the new moon!!  I had some incredible days of Coho fishing!! ;)  Then, 3 days later, when the weekend came around, the fishing had slowed down!!  Did this 4 times throughout Coho season, had the same results everytime!!  I know, I know, the fact that there isn't near as much fishing pressure on the weekdays, the weather, and many other variables could have had something to do with it as well, but I am no scientist, just telling you what I had noticed!! ;) :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

whitetip

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 08:33:57 PM »

Well, that is because you actually have to catch fish in order to try out this theory!!! ;D ;D
But a couple of years ago, I would actually plan my "sick" days around the new moon!!  I had some incredible days of Coho fishing!! ;)  Then, 3 days later, when the weekend came around, the fishing had slowed down!!  Did this 4 times throughout Coho season, had the same results everytime!!  I know, I know, the fact that there isn't near as much fishing pressure on the weekdays, the weather, and many other variables could have had something to do with it as well, but I am no scientist, just telling you what I had noticed!! ;) :)

that is some thing I have notes in the pass 2 years now, I try to get my sick days on this days hehehe, and I have done very well, I dont know if it is true but it is what I have notes

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 09:47:07 PM »

I've heard that the few days on either side of the full moon is poor fishing. According to the theory fish feed all night due the brightness of the full moon.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 10:25:46 PM »

Has to do with the amount of light from the moon or the gravitational pull. I have found the best fishing of the month starts 10 days before a full moon, peaking on the fifth day then sliding to the big 0 on the full moon it's self. After the full moon the proccess is repeated again peaking on the fifth day. I tend think it has to do with the incleased light of the moon allowing fish to feed more aggressively through the night because I have found cloud cover during this moon phase changes the whole feeding pattern of the fish.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 05:28:35 AM »

so the question begs to be answered....if the fish feed at nite on a full moon.....why not go out at nite???

mojo always askin' easy questions ;D
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

andychan

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 10:02:01 AM »

Fishing at nite is so much fun with bells on the rod tips to make you know if fish bite.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 11:07:40 AM »

Did anyone notice the moon last night? I was out Sturgeon fishing and it had a perfect circle around it with a cross in the middle like a no smoking sign would. :o

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 11:33:25 AM »

Did anyone notice the moon last night? I was out Sturgeon fishing and it had a perfect circle around it with a cross in the middle like a no smoking sign would. :o
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

No smoking eh???   what exactly were you smoking lol ;D ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

ColinB

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 04:15:04 PM »

You may find this link of interesthttp://www.moonstrike.co.uk/quotes.html

A pike angler in Ireland, Alistair Rawlings has done a lot of research on this, sadly his website and all the details have disappeared.
Possibly on a trip ???

I'll see if I can find anymore info.

Colin

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 06:09:34 PM »

Two draw backs to fly fishing at night; not being able to see where your line is traveling and Bats. So #1 fish in the boat alone and no-one gets hooked. #2  bring along a good pair of leather work gloves because the Bats will bit you while you are trying to release them.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Bone

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 09:18:42 AM »

I am still a little confused, all the research i have done have conflicting answers. I checked my GPS unit and the fishing should be good, I guess i will have to put it to the test this weekend.

Nostro

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 08:07:01 AM »

By regulation, :o fishing is only permitted 1 hour before sunrise and 1 hour after.
Never look a fish in the eye.

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 01:40:15 PM »

This is a very interesting subject and one I have spent a great deal of  research on it over the years.

My research on the subject has been more about the moon and the behaviour of whitetail deer, but since all animals including humans are supposed to be under the influence of the moon this will also go for fish.

Depending to who you listen, the moon has a large influence over animals. However, I have found that the most avid moon phase advocates invariably also have a products for sale or make otherwise a living of their moon knowledge.

My own research, taking field notes from observations, shows clearly that their is not a big difference in the movement of animals during any given moon phase. Having said that, animals seem to move a little more during a full moon phase. This has more to do with practicality than with the moon itself, because on overcast nights the deer would not move more on on full moon days where the sky was open. During a full moon there is more light, therefore animals can see better and thus move more since they have not to stay in the cover for fear of not being able to see predators in the dark.

Many hunters and fishers believe in the moon phases and it is this believe that gives them more energy, more will and lets them stay longer in the woods, or in this case on the water. Next to knowledge  hunting or fishing has a lot to do with believing in something, be that the moon, a bait or other the tackle we use this fact alone has a big influence in our hunting/fishing success.

What I did find out without a doubt is that animals are under the weather. This means they move and feed more heavily before a severe weather front moves trough an area and right after that weather front passes. I also find that animals react and adjust their movement to hunting/fishing pressure. On weekends when there are many fishers on a particular body of water the fish might not bite. Yet go to the same place on a Monday and you might have the best time of your life, simply because the fish "know" Sundays are bad for them and Mondays are safe. The same is true when the weather is not very nice, since most fishers are "fair weather" fishers.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 01:47:28 PM by huntwriter »
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/