Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Redington vs St. Croix  (Read 6332 times)

YY

Redington vs St. Croix
« on: March 30, 2006, 12:37:30 PM »

Anyone have experience with the following models in 4pc?

St. Croix Premier 4pc Fly Rods
Redington RS3 4 Piece Fly Rods

I am looking for a new 5wt. What length should I be looking for? 8.5' or 9'? Should I load the rod up with a 6wt line (as many people suuggest that would load the rod better?)

Thank you for your help. I am a fly fishing newbie ;D

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: Redington vs St. Croix
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 03:35:40 PM »

i have a redinton cp rod and i love it, they great rods but i have no clue on the fly rods.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 08:35:12 PM »

I used to own a RS2 from redington.. they are ok rods and the price is right and came with uncondictional warranty... but now, lots other companies offer the same kinda of deal, so option is wide open.. If there only 2 rods to choose from, i will pick the redington over the st.croix in this case..  Don't get me wrong St.croix make some really nice product but just in this case when compare the two... Y Y, for something the same as the RS2 if not better, go test out the 690-4 Echo. they are really nice rod, med fast action, lots of reserve power. Warranty is very good, lose a section, or snap it, send them back, cost you 25-35 bucks to replace.. just like other company like sage or loomis. This rod cost about $179, came with rod bag and a cordura tube.  As for length, go for 9' its better for all around use.   goodluck fishing

Marco

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 11:03:47 PM »

Redington!
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

YY

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 09:00:36 PM »

I now have the choices of the redington and an echo fly rod. The echo is a 4wt, but I heard that the echo is suitable for a line one weight heavier. Any input?

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 10:50:16 PM »

Go for a Echo.. they are great.. med/fast action and can be compare with the sage FLi.  As for the line goes, it handle both 4wt or 5 wt line really well its all depends on the caster.  But one thing i can tell you, they got so much back bone and can handle big fish with no problem.  And depends on where you get the rod, they should come in from 4wt 9' 2 pcs to 9wt 9' 4 psc.