Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An invasion at Kawkawa Lake March 25th  (Read 4396 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
An invasion at Kawkawa Lake March 25th
« on: March 25, 2006, 11:21:17 PM »

Nobody wants to start? I guess I'll start the journal... ::)

A few of us decided to give Kawkawa Lake a go today. Located in Hope, Kawkawa Lake opens on March 1st for kokanee fishing. It was an invasion by FWR, some may call it a gong show. ;D The participants included myself, fishersak/Mark, Chris, Gwynn, buckeye/George, Nicole, Thomas, Nick/the "master", Donny, Lew, Ken, Lucky/Sean and Mary.

The day started out with a bang at the Home Restaurant in Hope for a energizing brunch. When Fishersak and I arrived, Lucky and Mary were ready to leave and hit the lake before us. ;) Chris, as usual, arrived when we were ready to eat. ;) As usual, he blamed it on his travelling companions. ;D The breakfast serving at the Home Restaurant was massive... Never have I seen a pile of hash brown that high. :o It was indeed delicious and filling as Nick recommended earlier this week. :)

At 11:00am, it was a race to the boat launch. :D Everyone else had the luxury of the boat trailer while Fishersak and I had to unload an upside down boat and fit it with all the accessories before heading out. By the time we were out there, others had already wetted their lines for 20 minutes. ::)

Here were the teams. :)

Lew and Ken

The Leaf Craft (Buckeye, Chris and Gwynn)

Thomas and Nicole

Donny and the "master"

Lucky and Mary (drifting far far away as they did not bring an anchor ;) Look at the background!)

Myself and Fishersak

The largest kokanee means the winning team would be able to claim two Maple Leaf Drennan, which have mysteriously disappeared... ???

When Fishersak and I finally anchored and had our rods rigged up, I first spotted a couple of rises directly in front of me. :o The rises became more frequent as we started casting. We just happened to anchor right in front of a school of kokanee. ;) After twenty minutes of casting with one boil after another one, not a single tap was detected. :P

Oh well, another hour or so went by, the rod tips were not harrassed, although we were rather comfortable with the warm sun beaming down on us.

While this was (not) happening, I looked over at the other side of the lake. It appeared the other teams all decided to park at this one spot. Suspicious indeed, so Fishersak and I decided to pay them a visit. ;D We arrived and found that fishing action was happening, only the species was not the right one. ;D Residualized coho were being pulled up once awhile. These coho, range between 8 and 14 inches in length, are three year old according to the "master". You cannot keep them, but they are certainly scrappy on a light spinning rod. With no kokanees around, I was eager to connect with one (especially after two fishless weekends ::) ).

We sneaked up behind the Leaf Craft... ;D Parked just several feet away to make sure that we were directly above the school. ;D I rebaited my hook with a piece of fresh shrimp, and dropped down the rig. 10 feet, 20 feet, 30 feet... Bottom, winded the line a few times, tap tap, jerk! Rod did a few familiar kicks then it bounced back up. ::)

In the meantime, Chris, George and Gwynn were having quite a party with these fish. :P

I managed to get some action on the video too, which will hopefully come later on in the fishy clips. ;)

The "master" and Donny strolled over to see what all the noises were about. They anchored not far away from us and began to fish. In the meantime, two more fish popped off my rod before they even surfaced. ::)

Then we started hearing constant splashing sounds behind us. Sure enough, the "master" was bringing them up like a commercial drift net. ::) One, two, three, four.... He must have caught a dozen or so in 20 minutes. :P

A few more taps on my rod tip produced yet another connection. This time I kept the tension rather tight, and first fish in two weeks surfaced for that photo shoot. ;)

This specimen was rather skinny. Gwynn caught one right before me that was easily as big as a Capilano coho jack. :o

The rest of the day involved sitting around and watching more kokanees surfacing, and connecting with a few more small coho. We ended the outing at around 5pm.

I'll let others to fill in this incomplete journal. ;) Chris should be doing this as I am probably driving the readership away. ;D

Ok, someone else has to explain this, or add a caption to it. ???

I was not in that boat, so I had nothing to do with it. ;D

Thanks to everyone for a fun day. :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: An invasion at Kawkawa Lake March 25th
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 11:28:43 PM »

Typical Laff fan; asleep on the job as they are rolling, rolling, rolling onto the golf course.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 11:31:45 PM »

GREAT REPORT RODNEY. SOUNDS LIKE FUN...THOSE LEAFS GOT HAMMERED TODAY
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 11:34:21 PM by THE_ROE_KID »
weeeeeeeeeow!

Buckeye

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 11:48:37 PM »

Whose the dude sleeping in the boat?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 11:53:13 PM »

Whoever it was, it looks like he was in pain! He was in a fetal position. ;D

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 11:55:44 PM »

Ive been in that position on that lake before.......usually after a few liquid kokanees though... ;)
Please honey can i go fishing now???

Buckeye

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 11:58:56 PM »

Investigated the picture a bit better.

Clue:

Is that a hockey team logo I see?

:o :o :o

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 12:08:56 AM »

Great report Rod, wish I had something to add to it but we snuck out of there skunked, not for lack of trying we threw everthing at them but could not get them to bite.  Was my first time being out there and I can honestly say the beautiful scenery more than made up for any lack of hungry fish.  When we arrived at the lake we were the only boat on it, and the fish were jumping everywhere on the lake. First cast my float went down when my back was turned and I turned around just in time to see it surface, that would be my only chance all day.  We did manage to come home with 55 pictures on my cameras memory card, all postcard worthy pictures at that.  Thanks Rod for the invite, and a special thanks to Nick "the master" for his excellent tips and donating a bunch of krill to our lost cause.  Whens the next trip?

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/album52

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 12:33:41 AM »

We may need to use these local guinea pigs to scout out the lake again before we burn some more gas for another trip. ;D Couple more weeks maybe?

I like the economy chair idea. ;)

But I also like Nicole's new boat... :-\ Those two chairs and the leg space just looked so comfortable. Fishersak had to hear me talk about it all the way home tonight. It would be nice to get one, but then it means a boat trailer, and a new car, and... Oh wait.

New boat
New boat trailer
New car

Maybe in a few years. ;D tnt?? ;D

Lew Chater

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 10:36:14 AM »

It was an interesting day. As the Master said, "these Kokanee in this lake can be really moody" ! No kokanee but a good warmup for getting ready for Interior lakes in the next few weeks.  Great to see everyone, good food and great scenery. I guess Chris got to keep his Maple Laff drennans that he was offering as trophies for the day. Those trophies are as elusive as the Stanley Cup will be for the Laffs this year !!!!! thanks for starting the Journal on this one Rodney.
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 11:16:39 AM »

Great report Rodney, and some interesting pics!!  Looks like it was a ton of fun!! :D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 02:08:39 PM »

We may need to use these local guinea pigs to scout out the lake again before we burn some more gas for another trip. ;D Couple more weeks maybe?

I like the economy chair idea. ;)

But I also like Nicole's new boat... :-\ Those two chairs and the leg space just looked so comfortable. Fishersak had to hear me talk about it all the way home tonight. It would be nice to get one, but then it means a boat trailer, and a new car, and... Oh wait.

New boat
New boat trailer
New car

Maybe in a few years. ;D tnt?? ;D
I told you two weeks ago it was too early to go. ;D ;D ;D Thats why I had time to sleep.

Saying that, a very enyoyable trip with some great people and two things we learnt, "The Master" is truly that, out fishing us all and maybe G can be referred to Gwyn now in the journal as I think he is buying into FWR. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 03:10:57 PM »

Before he buys into FWR, he may need to return to Ricky's and pay for his meal. ;D Lew and I just plan to avoid that restaurant from now on... :-[ I don't think they welcome dine-&-dashers... :-X

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 03:20:06 PM »

;D Rodney, you should be able to outrun Lew ;D

Lew Chater

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 07:17:51 PM »

Hey...when it comes to a dollar, us retired guys can move pretty fast ! ;D
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!