Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: VHF RADIO HELP NEEDED  (Read 2433 times)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
VHF RADIO HELP NEEDED
« on: March 21, 2006, 11:39:36 AM »

I bought a VHF last year at the boat show i wired it myself and it powers up scans through all channels fine but I can't pick anything up not even weather channel everything is connected correctly . Every time out i try to get some kind of chatter on it and never seem to be able to pick up anything it just keeps scanning through was wondering if any one could help with this . Does the antenna need to be matched to the radio ? . Bought it from Stevston marine they never mentioned any thing about antenna matching they sold me the antenna mounting hardware and radio everything necessary to get it working . I bought it for my trips on the west coast of the island in-case of emergency . The model is the Icom IC-M302  any help would be appreciated. The antenna is made by shakespear it's approx 8' long it's at the stern of the boat . The coaxial cable came with out a connector so i bought the appropriate connection it is the type that threads over the cable and threads into the back of receiver . The connector has a gold plated pin that goes in to the coaxial cable with a gold pin which goes into the back of the receiver every thing appears to be connected correctly . I picked up some one calling for a tow once out by the lions gate bridge   and have never heard any chatter since this i allways have it on hoping to hear something .
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 12:08:24 PM by legend »

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Re: VHF RADIO HELP NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 12:51:13 PM »

I don't think the weathr channels are on the normal band, there should be a "wx" button or something like that, that's worked for me in the past.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 05:03:18 PM »

Check the ground on your antennae or bring it to a shop and they'll check it for you. If your antennae isn't grounded properly your not going to hear much at all. I've gone to greendale mobile radio before in Chilliwack where I bought my antennae and they've been great.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 05:23:15 PM »

your antena should be matched to the radio for optimum performance, also that coax conection might be suspect had a simular problem years ago on a truck mounted r/t unit.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

legend

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 05:30:19 PM »

The antenna only had one wire the coaxial no ground is this normal ? I hooked it up as mentioned above the radio it self is grounded to the battery ground terminal any more tips would be great trying to avoid paying some one .

silex

• VE7SL
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 12:45:02 PM »

Legend - I suspect that you may have a problem with the antenna connector. The 'ground' part of your antenna system is the metal woven shield of the coaxial cable and this must not make contact with the gold center pin of the connector. Screw-on (solderless) connectors are notoriously poor at maintaining good solid connections and you really require a waterproof solder-on connector.

If things are/were working properly, you should be hearing a lot of activity on the radio, especially on CH 16. Vancouver Harbour and Vancouver Coast Guard Radio are very strong throughout the lower mainland. Even Victoria Coast Guard Radio is loud over here.

You should be able to hear these signals, although weaker, even with a thin ~ 18" wire pushed carefully into the center pin of the radio's antenna socket. You might try this, just to conform that the radio is working and that you probably do have an antenna problem.

The condition that you are describing sounds like some of the shield wires may be touching the center-pin on your connector, thus short-circuiting your antenna system. You may want to carefully remove the connector and check that the shield wires are not all messed up or frayed looking. Even just one single loose piece of shield wire, floating around inside the connector can cause the short.

The other thing you should confirm is that your antenna model is for VHF Marine and not for 27MHz CB, as this will also cause the same condition as you describe.

As far as 'matching' the antenna goes.... if it is indeed a VHF Marine Band antenna, it is most likely already properly tuned. Even mistuned, 'received' signals will still be strong...the matching is more critical to transmitting than receiving.

Let me know how you make out .

Steve / VE7SL

legend

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 08:28:23 PM »

Thank you very much Steve very helpful info the ground wires you speak of are definitely the problem as they are definitely touching the connection I thought they were supposed to be contacting the connector I will rectify this and try it on the weekend and let you know if this corrects my problem . As for the connector I'm not a big fan of these thread on to the cable type and will be getting the crimp type or better yet the soldier on one thanks for your advice . The antenna is definitely the correct type for VHF so it must be the grounding wires and crappy connector.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 08:30:39 PM by legend »