Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tides in the Tidal Fraser?  (Read 2829 times)

druid

Tides in the Tidal Fraser?
« on: March 19, 2006, 10:49:02 AM »

(I posted this on FishBC, but those "elite flyfishers" ;) said to come over here where all those dirty bar-fishers hang out! :D )

Ok, when's the best time (tide-wise) to catch:
a) cutts
cool.gif steelhead (LOL! That was supposed to be "b )" but it kinda works out...)
c) dollies
and/or d) salmon

in the tidal Fraser? Low slack? High slack? Ebb? Flood? I've heard just about all of them, from various sources. Anybody know definitively?

druid - looking for "tidal steel"...
"Apathy meeting this Friday. If you want to come, you're not invited"

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Tides in the Tidal Fraser?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 12:19:45 PM »

I don't know of anyone that specifically target steelheads in the Fraser. As to salmon it depends on the bars. Some bars are better on the ebb while others produce on the incoming. As a general rule two hours before and an hour after high slack works for me.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 12:53:56 PM »

It all depends on which part of the Fraser River you are fishing and what species you are targeting.

If we are talking about locations downstream from Mission, tidal influence is a tremendous factor as the difference in water height between high and low is significant. Generally I find that the fishing is excellent just after the tide peaks for about two hours, depending on how fast it is dropping. If it drops very fast, then the magic period is shorter. If the drop is slow, then the magic period is longer. This rule has worked well for bull trout, cutthroat trout, coarse fish, coho. It works either by bait fishing on the bottom or spincasting.

For chum and pink salmon, I've found that incoming tide is best. From low to high, it's not unusual to spot schools of fish finning as they swim up the river with the tide.

Steelhead is not specifically targeted in this section of the river because there is just too much water, and the amount of fish is no where near the number of salmon. Of course it is not impossible to encounter one by the same methods, but you would be spending much more time just to connect with one.

For the section above Mission, although there isn't really a visible difference in water height, tidal influence exists as high as the Harrison River (again, depending on the tidal difference of the day). Barfishermen plan their outings so they coincide with the incoming tide. Make sure you add the correct number of hours to the Vancouver tide chart.

For cutties, availability of food is a bigger factor. Coastal cutthroat trout are constantly on the move until they come across the food they eat, ie. eggs, small fish, junveile salmon, etc.

druid

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 01:50:17 PM »

Great info as usual, Rod! I'm thinking mainly Brownsville Bar, since it's kinda on my way home and I sometime hit it for a cast or two in the afternoon. But I might hit some other bars, either around Langley or around Ladner, if there's some hope of catching something...

druid
"Apathy meeting this Friday. If you want to come, you're not invited"

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 04:04:53 PM »

Brownsville is best on an outgoing tide.