Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom or homebuilt Pontoons  (Read 2514 times)

Reservoir Dog

Custom or homebuilt Pontoons
« on: March 14, 2006, 11:43:54 PM »

Any suggestions? I saw some ideas on another forum.

An idea I have had floating is make a form out of plywood, and fill it with marine foam. I was thinking somethng fairly big (about 8 to 10') with a place for a motor, as well as retractable keels so I can sail it, and oarlocks to row it. An aluminum fram set into the foam with click locks so I can break it all down for easy transportation.

Right now the idea is stuck "between the ears" I can't drawn worth a damn, My dad is good at drawing ideas, but we haven't had time to sit down and put it on paper..

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Custom or homebuilt Pontoons
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 12:42:47 AM »

Think of where you like to fish all the time....with a boat. How you would get it there, and off/on your vehicle. Think of what would be easy to put in the water all the time. That is your boat.  ;)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 12:25:27 PM »

I saw a home built on a lake outside Salmon Arm a few years back. It was impressive, a 4 by 8 plywood frame with 2 seats (one high, one low) oar locks, motor mount( for both small gas or electric motors), and rod holders on all 4 corners. Pontoons were shaped from dock floats and then glassed for durablity. The owner told me that the one I saw was his first proto type and that he intended to go into production when he was happy with his product. It was an impressive thing to watch as he moved the thing anound the lake,  demonstrating how one could use foot/fin, oar, or motor power. The most versatile fishing deck I have ever seen.   
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 02:08:02 PM »

4x8 plywood would be too heavy for what I am looking at. Otto gave me an idea of using Pink construction foam covered in fiberglass. I would have excellent boyancy and strength, as well as staying light. I'll use aluminum tube frame, preferably bent instead of welded. I want to be able to break the entire thing down to just the pontoons so I can put it on the roof of my car. But I want it big enough to handle a small gas/Electric outboard, a sail, and still be rowable.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 04:30:06 PM »

If you put pontoons on this table, you could put it on the roof racks with help (2 seater model). Then put the pontoons motor ,gas tank etc between the table legs, tie down, voila. ;D

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 09:04:35 PM »

Kinda like this one  ::) 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 09:08:22 PM by Chrome Mykiss »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 10:10:19 PM »

Green Timbers lake pontoon special. Nice. You always see that guy bumming change at the liqour store. probably saving for a rod holder.

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 10:21:58 PM »

Hey I saw that guy at the station tonight.

He was bitching at me because we charge for air (like it's my fault) then said "well I haven't got any money, and my tire is dangerously low, and it'll be illegal for me to leave the lot and drive it like this" To which I replied, well, being you drove it here like that, and we're not a service station, we're a gas station. Then you can drive on it, and there isn't anything I can do for you. If you want to yell at me, for something I have no control over. I dont need your abuse, and I refuse to give you service. Thank you and have a nice day...

But Chrome, that is a little small, but the idea is about right :lol:

kermode58

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 04:49:32 PM »

Hey can you charter that for a pack of smokes?????????????
HERE fishy,fishy,fishy
HERE fishy,fishy,fishy