Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano river  (Read 38364 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Capilano river
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 11:44:55 PM »

Here's our write-up for this evening's outing: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2011/08/23/an-unexpected-lucky-catch/

A good reminder that while there are lots of coho in the river, lets make sure the few steelhead are released without harm when caught. :)

salmonlover

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 11:50:05 PM »

Here's our write-up for this evening's outing: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2011/08/23/an-unexpected-lucky-catch/

A good reminder that while there are lots of coho in the river, lets make sure the few steelhead are released without harm when caught. :)

if i were nina id seriously buy a lotto max or 6/49...good fortune is smiling upon her lol.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 02:29:29 AM »

To all of those not knowing, summer runs in the cap are few and far between. Some get killed every year, being mistaken as coho salmon because of the lack of knowledge or effort by the individuals to take the time to learn to identify their catch. As soon as the adipose is missing it seems like all fish are fair game. Treat all fish with respect and if you don't know what it is for sure, let it go...
Fish killer 101

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 09:37:13 AM »

Gotta love the jigs.

1son

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 07:18:55 PM »

Nice fish Rodney I was at the cap over a month ago and seen a buncha steelies cruising around good catch buddy

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 07:57:44 PM »

Well i did make it down today. but as luck would have it they opened the dam when i arrived, so i did 3 casts and called it quits, wont waste my time when its that high and silty, i prefer it when its below 1 on the gauge, almost guaranteed to get a fish then, hope to get a few more days in this year.. but september will bring the rain and thats when i call it quits.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 12:41:09 AM »

I just wanted to point out that this is a left max clipped steelhead. Just for the sake of knowing, that fish is likely a stray from another river at which I volunteer at. The fish were max clipped starting a few years ago as part of a study looking at the survival rates of the river's hatcheyr steelhead, to figure out if the mergansers/predators are to blame for the .5% return of adult steelhead to this system. the smolts were barged out from the river mouth to beyond point atkinson, gradually pumping in sea water until the tank in which they were contained in was completely sea water; at which point they were released.

It is not known exactly why the steelhead at our river are not doing very well and we had asked other local hatcheries to keep an eye open for max clipped steelhead to see if these fish that we barged out into the ocean made it back - or if they were lost like the others to the suspected mergansers. Seeing that this fish made it to the cap is good because the program worked, but because it strayed to a river from which it did not originate from, it indicates that it didn't imprint completely and correcty before being barged out to sea...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 12:51:18 AM »

It's not a max clip, just looks like it because the way the fish is half submerged in the water. It's an adipose clipped fish.

Those barge released juveniles had a extremely good survival rate from the data collected from POST in the first year compared to in-river released fish.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 10:16:24 AM »

And theydid it again this year. That looks a lot like a max clip. Most of the summe runs in the cap are not cap fish as I don't think cap has a summer program for awhile now!?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 10:24:18 AM »

They sure do.

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/fidq/stockedSpeciesSelect.do

Type in Capilano River in "*Gazetted Name/Alias:"

Centerpinner

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 04:58:16 PM »

Was there yesterday, fished cable pool, dogleg, and spencer's pool.
got a bunch of Coho jacks and steelie smolts.  Drifting gooeybobs and yarn balls. ;D

Centerpinner

frozensalmon

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2011, 07:36:45 PM »

Was there yesterday, fished cable pool, dogleg, and spencer's pool.
got a bunch of Coho jacks and steelie smolts.  Drifting gooeybobs and yarn balls. ;D

Centerpinner

hi may I ask where are dogleg and spencer's pool?
more coho, more coho... ::)

Nitroholic

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2011, 07:47:55 PM »

Get a map and start walking

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

loveforstellies

• Thump! huh? Fish on!!!
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 12:27:54 PM »

She was raging!!!!! however the next morning I went down to the flow and lost 1 and got my two Cohos!!! There were hundreds of fish in the pool I went to. and there was only 3 guys standing there. We were laughing our faces off with so many fish there. Surely by 3 pm the water level begun to drop fast and long and behold fish stop biting. Dam!!!!!! o well it was a blessing for that lush to come by!!! ;D

P.S Some douche bag dropped at the river and was using row so we politely requested of him to put it away or get his a** kicked. IF you are new to this forum please read the banes in place!!!! and stick to the rules.

NO ROE OR SCENTED BATES AT THE CAPILANO RIVER!![/glow]
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:33:44 PM by loveforstellies »
jza