Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano river  (Read 38531 times)

TyCrane

Re: Capilano river
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2011, 08:44:40 PM »

saw lots of fresh fish going thru but couldnt get any to bite... one guy of the five where i was fishing hooked into one but didnt manage to land it

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2011, 09:03:02 PM »

Just got home from having a look around the mouth.  Spoke to a few trying to entice a bite on the west bank, despite fish jumping no one was having any luck.  Amazingly, the guys on the east bank who were using a unique lure (that must have been very small as I could only make out the hook) and a rod bending yank /reel technique were absolutely slaying them... >:(

Do not be discouraged. The First Nations on the east bank are harvesting...not fishing.  No different than spearing them or netting them below a weir, or shooting them in a barrel.
Not all those who wander are lost

jizza

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2011, 12:49:35 PM »

fished the mouth as well saw tons of fish moving in spring and coho. Didn't manage to catch anything.

CraftyCoho

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2011, 01:11:38 PM »

I spent 2 fishing hours down after work yesterday...walked around the pools/runs by the #1 bridge. Saw a ton of chromers moving, jumping and splashing, but did not manage a single bite.  Tried multiple spoons, spinners, wools and worms to no avail...I think more weight was needed to get down deep as the river was running fast.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2011, 09:27:57 PM »

The guy who limited, was he wering a Tilley hat, green rainjacket and using really cheap hooks?

We call him "snagger bob" and sometimes "the old polish guy". He isn't very friendly
Either.

hotrod

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2011, 10:47:26 PM »

Well.................... it seems the other thread on the cap was locked, probably to curb any racial debates! But having said that, I was out today and had a great day! theres nothing like being slammed and mocked for being what you call "indian" "first nation" "native", those are words that have no meaning to me. That is not my language. I post reports from time to time only to share my enthusiasum with other living souls whom the river has called and is not my intention to throw anything in anyones face about anything , only that I had a good time and perhaps my inside info may help others have a good time. But it seems that some people have a real disliiking to "Indians" or whatever words you choose to use and take the time to go out of their way to make sure that is noted,...... as if it was cheating or wrong for being who I am and have no credabilty for being just that..... who I am!

Having said that,.... I will be on what you call the Capilano River ( we have a differant name for it) tomorrow and will hopefully get my first coho on the fly or spring. If that fails, I will go with what has been working so good for me. Simply a rubber egg with wool and all the hours of time it took for me to figure what works best for all conditions!. The river should be lower again. For you enthusiast the best time on "NATIVE LAND" Has been the incoming tide between 10-3 these past few days and anticiapte it to stay the same. Good luck people and have a good time! I know I will!

hotrod

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2011, 12:13:32 AM »

I read some of your posts on the locked thread that were deleted, so are people actually fishing on native land though? I thought noone not part of the nation could do that...

hotrod

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2011, 06:27:40 AM »

You are correct fish hunter! That part of the river is reserved for the said Indians for their own use and benefit! No non natives are allowed to fish there!

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2011, 07:45:31 AM »

Those rubber eggs will always out fish roe under all conditions!

joy-of-fishing

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2011, 01:03:33 PM »

Hot rod where you swinging the fly in the canyon today?

joy-of-fishing

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2011, 01:04:29 PM »

Just got back from the river... slow water has dropped i got a jack spring and that was about it.

JPW

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2011, 01:12:02 PM »

... will hopefully get my first coho on the fly or spring. If that fails, I will go with what has been working so good for me. Simply a rubber egg with wool and all the hours of time it took for me to figure what works best for all conditions!...

Great to see another fisherman sharing some knowledge of how to make the most of the resource that we all love.  My issue is with snaggers!  In my previous post the practice was prevalent on native land, but yesterday I saw the same "technique" being used on the west bank.  Multiple people were doing it, they weren't all FN, but they were all snaggers!

I really enjoy getting out on the river and spending time with my fellow fishermen of any background, fishing brings us together.  Sadly snaggers often rip us apart and we end up pointing fingers at specific groups.  If instead we all just stuck together as sporting fisherman and stopped snaggers every chance we got maybe we could better protect the resource?  

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2011, 09:27:32 PM »

Spent 6 hours at cable, a few nice schools of fresh fish, but no takers, not even a chaser,  this one other kid that flyfishes there almost daily since he started about 2 months ago, got a dark 4-5lbs female. he was the only one i seen hookup.

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2011, 10:13:30 PM »

Not in the last two months... but i dont usually spend alot of time there.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2011, 10:14:24 PM »

Have you ever got any at dogleg on the fly?

Dogleg is tough catching on the fly. The water is way too fast moving and the only decent spots within casting range are too turbulent for fish to see your offering. My 2 cents.