Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Green timbers lake  (Read 7846 times)

bmynbr

Green timbers lake
« on: March 14, 2009, 04:47:57 PM »

I have not really done any fishing on lakes, so my question is.  What kind of rigging do you use.  I have a little 5' spinning rod, just not sure how to setup the hook and weights.
Any info would be much appreciated
Dave

bmynbr

Re: Green timbers lake
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 05:17:28 PM »

one more question about the lake.  It is still a limit of one per day right, because I was talking to a guy that said he pulled 2 out yesterday.  I wish they would make it C&R, because then there would be fish there when I take my son.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 05:44:06 PM »

bmynbr HI  Spinners spoons ... or also hook 3-4 ft line then float ...then to main line...to rod & reel. ----Stick a worm or fish egg on hook. ------------- always check regulations ----- know the size of the fish so ya know what size of your tackle to use.---- Mind you those "shakers" in the salt water seem to attack spoons half their size--- [ they have the GREAT WHITE SHARK thinking] -------------- I'm new to this site & impressed with it's quality...Great to be ON BOARD----- I have lots of "posting to do to catch up to ya....

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 06:17:44 PM »

The daily quota of trout for Green Timbers Lake is two fish.

Re: Fishing methods

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2009/0309_01.html

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2009/0309_02.html

A Green Timbers story from last year:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=50

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 06:18:13 PM »

Some shot above a #4- 6 hook and sit on bottom with shrimp, worm, single egg or powerbait is a popular method. Float fishing is also a popular method with the baits mentioned before. Casting small spoons and spinners is also a popular method. Add a fair amount of weight as you may have to cast a distance to get to where the fish are as you are not allowed to wade into the water. As for the limit I believe they just changed it to Two fish per day. Another thing don't be surprised to find some big ones in there ;)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

bmynbr

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 07:12:48 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys. And thanks for the links rodney, totally helpfull.
I used to walk up to the lake all the time before my dog passed, and now I think I will make the walk some more to get my son started fishing.  I know at 3 he will get bored pretty quick but I know he will freak out when he sees a fish come out of the water.  In fact I think he might freak out when he sees me release it more ;D
Thanks again guys
Dave

Sea Nymph

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 06:54:42 PM »

Make sure you bring lots of snacks, works for my kid.

bmynbr

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 11:23:47 PM »

Well for now, he isn't at all interested in it.  But he does like to throw twigs and rocks in the water, could occupy him for hours.  I figure he can do that until I catch a fish, then he can see it and get excited about it.  He turns 3 tomorrow, so I am not expecting him to want to do it, but at least he gets out to play, and will get to see a fish when I get one.
Dave

coho_killer

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 09:15:05 AM »

Well for now, he isn't at all interested in it.  But he does like to throw twigs and rocks in the water, could occupy him for hours.  I figure he can do that until I catch a fish, then he can see it and get excited about it.  He turns 3 tomorrow, so I am not expecting him to want to do it, but at least he gets out to play, and will get to see a fish when I get one.
Dave

What i have found over the few years i have fished this lake is about 2 hrs befor dark the fishing really turns on, when i first started i would only use a bobber and worm hook and worm would be about a foot and a half to 2 feet below the bobber! Just look for risers and you will know where to cast they hit the worm almost everytime just have to be fast on the hook set! Should keep him into a fish or more and keep him occupied as well! goodluck!

CK
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 09:19:58 AM by coho_killer »
Wild fish don't do drugs!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 10:02:04 AM »

I was there there last night and yes the fish were very active around 6pm until when i left. I was having loads of hits but like CK said they strike very fast because i only managed to hook 1. The guys casting lures were doing very well yesterday also  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 03:45:32 PM »

Dave

Hi bmynbr, for the little kid, a more controlled environment might be more interesting for you guys. My recommendation is to take him to the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery/Visitor Centre where you guys can enjoy the Learn to Fish program. You'd get to see some operation at the trout hatchery, as well as aquariums with all these different freshwater fish species from BC, and finally bit of fishing at the ponds where over 1,000 trout swim in them. There are several staff on site for guidance as well. While I believe drop-ins are possible, it's best to phone ahead to book a time. They also do birthday parties.

http://www.gofishbc.com/fvhvisit.htm

The same venue will also be hosting an event during the BC Family Fishing Weekend, more information later. Here is a look at last year's event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMEWIKis6x0

bmynbr

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 07:31:43 PM »

Rodney, thanks for the links.  Sounds like an awesome place.  I am definetely going to take him out there.

Ah 50th post, welcome back fishing reports...LOL ;D

Nymph

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 10:08:40 PM »

I brought my wife to Green Timbers tonight. She just bought a rod and reel and was eager to try fishing.

It was fun watching her land her first ever fish.

It was also fun watching the two crows harass a bald eagle by chasing it!!! For real? The bald eagle was scared of the Crows? Later on, the eagle finally shook the crows and caught himself a nice rainbow.

Needless to say, my wife now needs more fishing gear!!!!
Git-R-Done

The Fish Hunter

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 12:52:23 AM »

I too brought my wife to Green Timbers and we also saw the eagle get bullied by the crows!

I caught a nice trout that tasted good soon after! mmm first taste of the season!

People were pulling fish out of that lake non stop. Seems like a good "go to" city lake even though it is close to Whalley.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 07:10:13 AM »

I have never been to green timbers ,what is the choice of bait ?