Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing the squamish/ cheakamus river  (Read 12811 times)

chrisc54

Fishing the squamish/ cheakamus river
« on: February 11, 2013, 04:51:42 PM »

Hello everyone!
 New to this forum, i was just wondering if you guys could give me some helpful advice on the squamish/cheakamus river for dolly varden and bull trout. I finally have a day off from school that i can get out there, the problem is i live so far away from that area (3 hours) that its hard to go out there and explore and figure out the river and actually get some fish (catch and release of course). I have been there a couple times with no luck, as it is a wide river i can never find out exactly where to fish and what to use. I know i am asking for a lot but could anyone share a spot they like on the river that is productive for bulls or dollys? i dont mind going into the upper squamish around the ashlu and what not either, beautiful country! I hate to ask for so much, its just a real long ways to get skunked.

Some help would be greatly appreciated!

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing the squamish/ cheakamus river
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:16:07 PM »

Hi Chris,

I can't give away any special spots on the Squamish as they may be some people's cherished spots and they'd lynch me if I did. Asking for specific spots on the Internet is a bad idea anyway. Here's why:

1. Anyone replying to you and giving you specific information can be one of those trolls who have nothing better to do than mislead people online. Because they know the river very well, they could give you detailed information on a spot on the Squamish that looks good, but is basically void of fish. If you are not an experienced angler, you may spend a lot of time fishing it without realizing that there is no fish there. So you get skunked.

2. A spot that worked yesterday can be a dud today. You might get information from a kind individual who points you in the right direction, but you still get skunked because yesterday is not the same as today when it comes to river fishing. It can be better, but it can also be much worse.

3. Sharing a known spot on any river (but especially an ecologically sensitive system such as the Squamish will cause a lot of bad blood online. Heck, it even happens with some Vedder spots! There are just too many people online who get their knickers in a knot when you mention Judd or Axen Road. (hint, hint)
And you can still get skunked.

So, rather than me giving away some specific spots, I'll suggest you find a nice stretch of water and cast away. You want to target depths around 3 feet, with as much natural cover as possible (big boulders, logs, etc.). Don't cast too far, the fish are not in the middle of the river - they live close to shore.

I hope this helps, but if you get skunked, who cares?
It's part of fishing. Enjoy the crisp mountain air, the bald eagles, the beauty of the scenery. Catching fish should be just a bonus anyway.

If you at the stage when catching is more important than anything else, I suggest you wait for pink salmon season.

Cheers, Milo

edited to add: remember, no bait allowed - artificials only. If you fly fish, sparkly leeches are a good choice of fly, although you should try and 'match the hatch' with sculpin imitations. If you use gear, I'd go with nice flashy spoons.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:28:29 PM by milo »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:29:59 PM »

I'd say Squamish is not worth a 3 hour drive.
Fish are small and for the bigger ones you have to hike another 1 or 2 hours so there is your day gone in transit.
If you live south of the Squamish, you have much better rivers to fish in the area.
If bull is your game, Vedder can have a good number of fish.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 06:35:12 PM »

Arrive around first light and you will have 10+ hours to explore.

Mamquam is another river to check out in the area and is a little bit closer and not quite as daunting as the other 2.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 07:03:42 PM »

Like Milo said, the fish are close to shore. Many takes happen right at the end ofthe swing or right at your feet. I always strip my fly all the way in. Never pass up any kind of structure. The upper Squamish can be dicey at the best of times in terms of travel this time of year.
Make sure you pack a shovel, tow strap and clothing and supplies to spend a night up there. No joke, speaking from experience!
If you're gear fishing, a small croc works or a small panther Martin with a bob tail on the hook works great.
In my opinion the drive is worth it, the valley is amazing scenery.
As for spots... Well in the upper it's pretty simple right now just look for the pull outs in the snow and cover lots of water.
Good luck!

chrisc54

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 08:27:16 PM »

thanks alot guys, yeah i agree the drive is well worth it, especially the upper valley, the scenery is unreal, i was thinking about trying around the camp ground by where the ashlu goes in and trying around there, are the wide parts of the river worth trying? or is it better to look for slower holes around boulders and sunken trees ect.? and when you say use a croc, that is without a float ovbiously? i tried a spot on the cheak last year down the logging road, had a reallly giant boulder and a lot of slower moving water no luck, looked promising though. Will definetely bring safety supplised and a shuvel, i do have a 4x4 f150 with new tires, but anyone can get stuck in the worst of conditions.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 12:06:43 AM »

Yea just spinning setup for the croc. Like 1/8oz.If you want to float then use a spinner, but I just love the little bobtail hanging off the back.
If you're going to the campground fish off the little point there and you'll find bows and bulls hiding in the eddy.
Above that anytime the river comes into view there are good spots to fish.
I've never fished below the camp to Ashlu confluence but I know it's pretty slow water there.

KLX

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »

i have been up there recently and it is very risky going past the bridge at mile ~28. We made it to mile 30 and got stuck in deep snow for 2 hrs, almost had to abandon ship. You can park near the bridge if you have a 4x4 then i would walk at least 4km up stream to wadeable holes. Or walk into the Ashlu from the bridge at campground and try downstream.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 12:31:05 PM »

i have been up there recently and it is very risky going past the bridge at mile ~28. We made it to mile 30 and got stuck in deep snow for 2 hrs, almost had to abandon ship.

Yup learned my lesson that way as well.  But rather than deep snow it was compact icy snow and couldn't budge.  There was a lot of should woulda couldas.

chrisc54

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 03:52:03 PM »

thanks for the heads up guys, so what mile is the camp ground at ashlu? its paved up to there, so like you guys said i could just fish around the camp ground walking the river around there, and noahs ark, you said fish off of the point at ashlu camp ground, are you talking about the log jam/ debri area that forms a point? and has all the slow water after...
thanks guys!

KLX

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 05:40:18 PM »

ashlu turn off is around mile 26-28.

Also keep in mind there are a ton of guys up there shooting and snowmobiling right now.
before xmas someone got hit by a stray bullet in that area.

I stay away from there now if i see too many trucks.

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 08:17:42 PM »

KLX,
I am not sure if we are looking at the same mile markers. I always thought the T intersection where the Ashlu FSR joins the Squamish FSR (where the big log bridge and campground is at) was mile 20. Mile 30 is up by Shovelnose creek.

I have had bullets whizzing over my head numerous times on the Squamish, especially in the mile 23-24 area. There is certainly a lack of shooting safety up there. It is basic knowledge that when shooting targets you must have a backdrop. These people are often times just shooting out towards the river with no back drop. I have called the conservation officers several times about these incidents. I have seen conservation officers on 3 occasions up there, which was nice to see. So any time you see unlawful use of a fire arm up the Squamish FSR I would report it. We need more conservation officers patrolling up there.

Do you have more to report about this incident about a person getting struck by stray bullet just before Christmas? Was there a news story or a police report?

Like others have said, be safe up there this time of the year. Bring survival equipment when travelling up there.

KLX

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 11:45:05 AM »

KLX,
I am not sure if we are looking at the same mile markers. I always thought the T intersection where the Ashlu FSR joins the Squamish FSR (where the big log bridge and campground is at) was mile 20. Mile 30 is up by Shovelnose creek.

I have had bullets whizzing over my head numerous times on the Squamish, especially in the mile 23-24 area. There is certainly a lack of shooting safety up there. It is basic knowledge that when shooting targets you must have a backdrop. These people are often times just shooting out towards the river with no back drop. I have called the conservation officers several times about these incidents. I have seen conservation officers on 3 occasions up there, which was nice to see. So any time you see unlawful use of a fire arm up the Squamish FSR I would report it. We need more conservation officers patrolling up there.

Do you have more to report about this incident about a person getting struck by stray bullet just before Christmas? Was there a news story or a police report?

Like others have said, be safe up there this time of the year. Bring survival equipment when travelling up there.

you are right my distances were taken from memory. its actually ~24 kilometers from the hwy99 turn off to the bridge according to my gps tracks.

yes there was a news story. the guy was dirtbiking and the bullet hit him in the chest, his body armour saved him. there is no shortage of yahooos up there, second only to Port Alberni in my opinion.
i never go up there without my mossberg 500 anymore. i have stumbled across hidden cabins and old growops in the bush. just before december i was driving at night around km20 and there was a guy hidden in the ditch pointing his rifle up hill and across the road looking for deer. last month i came across several guys baitcasting for steelhead. i call CO all the time, i think they know me by now...in my opinion on that one way in/out rd they should have a sign in or checkpoint gate.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer

jimmywits

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »

you are right my distances were taken from memory. its actually ~24 kilometers from the hwy99 turn off to the bridge according to my gps tracks.

yes there was a news story. the guy was dirtbiking and the bullet hit him in the chest, his body armour saved him. there is no shortage of yahooos up there, second only to Port Alberni in my opinion.
i never go up there without my mossberg 500 anymore. i have stumbled across hidden cabins and old growops in the bush. just before december i was driving at night around km20 and there was a guy hidden in the ditch pointing his rifle up hill and across the road looking for deer. last month i came across several guys baitcasting for steelhead. i call CO all the time, i think they know me by now...in my opinion on that one way in/out rd they should have a sign in or checkpoint gate.
Years ago they did, I think it was when Interfor had the license for the area. They would stop you and politely ask you what you were going to do, jot down your plate number and caution you about any safety issues that prevailed. They also handed out a flyer with usefull information about the region complete with a map and a list of unlawfull activities,