Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Floats  (Read 28219 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead Floats
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 06:36:19 AM »

Seriously? How does he adjust his float on his mainline for the water depth hes fishing?

Elastic bands. The duct tape is just the indicator not taped to main line

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 06:42:26 AM »

I often chuckle when people say they feel the need to buy a Clear Drift to improve their fishing. They are just cheap knock-offs of Drennan. The plastic is thicker, the material is more rigid so easier to crack. u might get them for half the price, but u end up buying more to make up for it. how come Drennan hasnt come after Clear Drift because i'm sure they have a patent on the design? maybe it's because the product is from China?

A good foam float at a much lower price like DNE does the job just fine. if u cant catch fish with a DNE, then u definitely wont catch fish with a Clear Drift.

No you're right, I don't catch fish so take what I said for what it's worth.
I learned if I paint the bottom joint of a cleardrift with my wife's clear nail hardener it lasts longer.
Been using the same float since September and I fish 2-4 days a week.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 10:52:23 AM »

Cork
Fish killer 101

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »

Say what you will about clear floats, but I'm sure that a half inch object (yellow top of a clear float) is going to scare fish a lot less than 4 inch object (a white DNE float).
This only applies in clear water conditions.

I have personally been carrying 3 types of floats, DNE, dink and cleardrift.
But now since cleardrift are not so expensive I might just skip the foam DNE floats.

Sterling C, good thinking.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2013, 11:19:37 AM »

I've never understood peoples theories behind what you said. For example if a $8 drennan is weighted so it takes say 10 grams of force to pull the float under. How would it be more sensitive or better than a $0.90 foamie that takes 10 grams of force to pull it under? Same amount of force to pull it under to indicate a bite...

Don't you partake on BCFR anymore? Haven't seen you in a while.

Johnny, it's not the size of the float that gives you a nicer drift, it's the shape of the float.
And the book you mentioned is the book, it worked great for me.
You should give it another read and this time follow instructions ;)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2013, 01:11:07 PM »

berrys started carrying off shore balsa floats and so far they have held up well. i personally will not use cleardrift because they quality is not good. have had water in them to many times. nothing is worse on a cold morning than having to change a leaky float. when i was out on the vedder the other day, a guy was fishing the other side of me and when he chucked his gear into the water a steelhead actually went for his float with a good splash. either that or he spooked it with his presentation.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2013, 01:14:30 PM »

berrys started carrying off shore balsa floats and so far they have held up well. i personally will not use cleardrift because they quality is not good. have had water in them to many times. nothing is worse on a cold morning than having to change a leaky float. when i was out on the vedder the other day, a guy was fishing the other side of me and when he chucked his gear into the water a steelhead actually went for his float with a good splash. either that or he spooked it with his presentation.

Sure they are not as good as Drennans but they are third of the price.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2013, 01:37:56 PM »

The initial batch pf Clearfloats that came out was poor quality. They have fixed the problem of water leaking

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2013, 02:01:38 PM »

whats better? buying a foam float that works with no surprises, or buying a plastic float that might leak when u get to the river, worse if the fish are biting? lol...

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2013, 02:52:32 PM »

whats better? buying a foam float that works with no surprises, or buying a plastic float that might leak when u get to the river, worse if the fish are biting? lol...

It's good to have both if you can afford it.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2013, 03:03:58 PM »

The initial batch pf Clearfloats that came out was poor quality. They have fixed the problem of water leaking

unfortunately once is to many times for me

Fisherama

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 03:40:09 PM »

Cleardrift floats are a hardier than Drennans, but fishing hollow plastic floats in the winter is generally tough.  The cold weather makes them brittle and really non-resistant to cracking.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 04:45:23 PM »

Personlly I prefer cork floats,i have fished all the plastics ,foam and balsa floats and the best tracking and most sensitve floats I have fished with are the cork floats I make at home ,and they are more durable as well.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2013, 06:25:05 PM »

Personlly I prefer cork floats,i have fished all the plastics ,foam and balsa floats and the best tracking and most sensitve floats I have fished with are the cork floats I make at home ,and they are more durable as well.
[/quote
Yup I think we have done a great job with the cork floats that we make. I find they cast better, they track better and you can bounce  them off of rocks without having to worry about them breaking or leaking.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2013, 09:00:07 PM »

Johnny, it's not the size of the float that gives you a nicer drift, it's the shape of the float.
And the book you mentioned is the book, it worked great for me.
You should give it another read and this time follow instructions ;)

I never mentioned a book, you were supposed to email me the name of a book.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.