Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish River chum salmon spawning in peace, not  (Read 11066 times)

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish River chum salmon spawning in peace, not
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 06:01:56 PM »

Sam Salmon....The only thing I can say is what you just said, was probably one of the most stupidest things I have ever heard.

Bbronswyk2000 brought up the most important point. Most of us here are fortunate enough to know about preserving fish habitat, and knowing not when to disturb it. Feel honoured that you know so much about fish and the biology of fish, because most people do not have a clue. We are all human. We all make mistakes. We do not know everything.

CC

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 10:24:16 AM »

....sigh....

Cody-it's not right to make excuses for people who break the law, no matter the circumstances people have to be held accountable for their actions-ignorance is no excuse under the law.

Many people-myself included-think that rigorous enforcement of existing laws is how we can protect what little we have left, the alternative is to see clown shows like the KWB brigade and Salmon stompers like Elliot Stone held up as normal behaviour.

I can't believe that in this day and age in a forum like this that I have to argue with people about this issue!!

OTOH--maybe we have lost so much, our natural world had become so degraded and people so out of touch-even those who think they are 'in touch'-that it's too late in the game and the simple reality is that it's all downhill from here.

Maybe those I'm arguing with have only seen things go downhill their whole lives and can't imagine anything else.

The plenitude of the past-the vast shoals of baitfish on the ocean, the rivers choked with Salmon-have regressed into myth and legend, no longer real to those alive today.

If that is indeed the case then it's a sad old world we live in-beyond sad actually.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 10:40:40 AM »

We should all feel privileged to be in th presence of perfection. Sam Salmon the humanitarian of the year.

You have never EVER done something stupid right? I am not just talking about fish and fish habitat anymore, I am talking in general. You have not done something you wish you hadn't after learning what you did was wrong? If you have no clue about something how can you think it was wrong? Sometimes you amaze me.....

Maybe you should go and teach young people about this. Do you actually do anything to help these situations or just sit behind a keyboard thinking you are better than everyone else.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 10:42:31 AM »

"If that is indeed the case then it's a sad old world we live in-beyond sad actually."

If it dosen't kill you it will make you stronger. Sadder but stronger.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 01:36:18 PM »

We should all feel privileged to be in th presence of perfection.....

A to-be-expected response-when 'found out'  attack someone and try to wreck the thread. ::)

(FYI-I have worked with Conservation groups/volunteered my time/money/vehicles since you were in primary school.)

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 01:42:21 PM by Sam Salmon »

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 02:52:58 PM »

I remember going to the fish hatchery a few times when I was about 11 and 12 years old, I just remember it being the coolest thing to see all of these fish in such a small confined space (spawning channel). We threw rocks at them and tried to catch the fish, mind you this was just outside the hatchery and our parents could not see what we were doing. We were basically molesting these fish and to tell you the truth, I never thought twice about it, it seemed like there was more than enough fish out there and for an 11 year old this was lots of fun. We, like most people had absolutely no clue about the laws in regards to this. Basically what Rodney is getting at is the fact that we as fishermen are privy to laws regarding fish and fish habitat, laws that much of the non fishing society have no clue about. Instead of educating the majority about the precious resource we have and how to protect it, we as a minority bicker and argue amongst ourselves about etiquette and personal ethics while much larger issues could be tackled. With developments like Brohm Ridge, we will not have to discuss proper catch and release because fish will not be there to be caught. Basically there are bigger fish to fry.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 03:23:59 PM »

We should all feel privileged to be in th presence of perfection.....

A to-be-expected response-when 'found out'  attack someone and try to wreck the thread. ::)

(FYI-I have worked with Conservation groups/volunteered my time/money/vehicles since you were in primary school.)

You haven't answered my question. You have never made an uneducated mistake? Your not seeing my point. I see yours and agree that what they did was wrong BUT I dont see that a lynching is what they deserve. They just need to be educated so they wont do it again. If they were educated and still did it, than thats an entire different story.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Dogbreath

This Place Needs a Flush!
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 06:47:27 PM »

Open support for people interfering with fish habitat?

WTH kind of forum is this anyway?

When I used to sell tackle I'd tell newbies to check this place out for ideas and the tutorials, I see that's still here but the forum you can keep. ::)

Sam's right in that there's little left to argue over, another 20 years of the kind of abuse the resource has been taking there won't be anything I wonder if anyone here has kids they want to see fishing 20 years down the road?

BTW-I made the call as I said later that day there were two calls I missed @ home so maybe the CO did call me back.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
Re: This Place Needs a Flush!
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 08:57:07 PM »

Open support for people interfering with fish habitat?

WTH kind of forum is this anyway?

When I used to sell tackle I'd tell newbies to check this place out for ideas and the tutorials, I see that's still here but the forum you can keep. ::)

Sam's right in that there's little left to argue over, another 20 years of the kind of abuse the resource has been taking there won't be anything I wonder if anyone here has kids they want to see fishing 20 years down the road?

BTW-I made the call as I said later that day there were two calls I missed @ home so maybe the CO did call me back.

Who is supporting what they are doing? Nobody thats who. Their is a difference in starting that what they did is harmless ( which nobody said ) and saying that what they did was a mistake made from uneducated people. If the dont know they dont know. They wont know unless someone educates them.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 10:39:18 PM »

I use to catch fish with butterfly nets when I was young (8 years old) in the lower Vedder River. Yes they were spawning and yes they were gross but for a young kid it was fun, and no one told me that it was wrong at all or anything. Looking back, yes it was stupid because I was trampling redds, but why would you want to punish kids for having fun when they have NO idea that they are doing. I see where you are all coming from, but Im sure you did stupid stuff when you were kids too (you may just not remember  ;D).

I know you guys are all for the right causes, but this is ridiculous. Do any of you wade during salmon season, even Steelhead season to get to desired areas. Most of the places we wade are chosen slower or shallower areas, areas fish like to spawn in. I bet that 50% of fisherpeople out on our rivers have no idea to tell where a redd is, I can hardley do it.

I agree with you guys, it would be good to educate people. The whole problem starts with not educating people. I didn't get to see the video, but if it was kids doing the "molesting", who do you think was videotaping them? Probably their parents, which obviously means the parents have no idea what their kids are doing to the fish anyways. Some people need to calm down and look at it from both sides.......
(BTW I am NOT supporting this, just trying to give a diff point of veiw)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 08:29:10 AM »

I use to catch fish with butterfly nets when I was young (8 years old)...

funny, i went for butterflies lol

and speaking of stuff as kids, in light of the thread topic, I ran across this video of adults teaching kids more bad habits on the Squamish :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O17njssTlnM

Zach

• Fishing Photo's
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 04:04:39 PM »

and speaking of stuff as kids, in light of the thread topic, I ran across this video of adults teaching kids more bad habits on the Squamish :(

Me and a few buddies saw the same kind of activity on the same system. We went over and told the mom and her son what they were doing was wrong but they didn’t really care. But at least we stopped them for the mean time.  :-\

hotrod

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 06:54:39 PM »

I don't think that this particular video is showing anything harmful at all. How much damage can a 3 year old do? Not too much in this case.

Hotrod

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 07:39:20 PM »

I don't think that this particular video is showing anything harmful at all. How much damage can a 3 year old do? Not too much in this case.

Hotrod

Well throwing rocks in a spawning channel at spawning fish is against regs. Oh and adult was doing it too. Teaching her it appeared. The vid only shows like a 2 minutes ~ maybe they were there all morning doing that. 

Maybe you dont' think we should follow the regulations?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 07:43:22 PM by dennisK »

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 09:50:12 PM »

Sam Salmon,

I can understand your frustration. You have been on this earth a lot longer than most of us on here I imagine...especially me. Must be frustrating to see how fish stocks were like, and then suddenly get lower, and lower, and lower. I can only say what I have seen in 16 years, and even I know how much fish stocks have gone down hill since then.

Do not take this to offence, I am not trying to start an argument. We all have our thoughts, some of us are on the same side, others not so, but I think you need to be a little more open-minded towards this situation. Here is a situation - Take an person that does not fish...never been fishing before in there life....do not know anyone that fishes. Honestly, what are they supposed to know about fish? I am sure a person like this has never read the fishing regs, nor ever will. My point in saying this is that not ever single person on this planet is educated on fish..in this situation, spawning salmon and habitat. Heck, how is someone I gave an example about even supposed to know that those chum were spawning???

Anyways, my point is that it is hard to judge somebody like that. Chances are they are not aware of the damage they are causing. The only thing to do in situations like this is to let the people know what they are doing, and give them some info about the chum spawning so that they understand why they shouldnt be doing it.

CC