Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Had enough of those camo wearing bottom bouncers showing up at you fav fishing spot after you bragged about your latest trip on FWR

No more fishing reports
Change it to how to possibly fish that area without the fish count and trophy shots
Have the mods heavily edit the report so know has any idea what you were up to
Leave it intact so the masses can peruse

Author Topic: Should Rodney get rid of that pesky fishing report section  (Read 9762 times)

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: Should Rodney get rid of that pesky fishing report section
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 09:55:58 AM »

Rodney's a smart guy and will do what he think's is in the best interest's of FWR. Frankly I'm with Chris on this one. Having just turned
55 and having fished for the majority of those years there's not to many spots nor the timing needed for them that I'm not aware of.
Every year, like the changing seasons I know what should be where due to practice and routine and if it's not, then I hike and explore until I find what I need.

But I would most assuredly, like everyone else here miss Chris's Journal and Rod's wonderful report's and video's. FWR's has been and will continue to be the Best fishing site anywhere and will continue to aid and educate the young and poorly informed on techniques with or without the fishing report.

azafai

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 10:53:47 AM »

fishing reports should continue the same as are now.

pictures and videos are more appreciated.

no need to be that selfish about spots that are already so obvious to everyone.

go walk and wade and find your "solitude."   I wish you good luck for that in Vedder/Chilliwack.

Ed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 12:01:23 PM »

Keep the fishing reports going! The river belongs to everybody, and i'm sure the ones who do have decent spots woke up extra early to get it. If you're complaining about overcrowding at specific locations, then go find a new fishing spot with less people or even drive farther away from the city so there are no problems with crowding at all.

Fishing with Rod is hands down the best fishing website/forum for fishing information/education/sharing experiences/etc and there is no need to change the website for specific people who care so much to whine about their spots being taken. Unless you buy a river side property and the land becomes "private" ownership, then anybody can fish that spot.

Like I said, i've used this website for many years, only thing i wish I could do is subscribe to this page but I've had some problems with Paypal in the past so I am unable to make payment :p. Wish Rod took Visa payments lol.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 12:06:59 PM by Ed »

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 12:05:42 PM »

You are correct, life is too short to worry about it, we that are in our 6th and 7th decade know that. ;D We are in a new age of social networking so lets just enjoy it while we can.

I also view the report section more as an entertainment than to get any serious inside information on juicy fishing spots.
Real information can be gathered more effectively from local tackle shops or talking with experienced anglers on the flow or even at Tim Hortons parking lot.
Some very knowlegable local fisherman will offer information on spots if he thinks you are a decent fisherman who will not abuse the resource.

RG

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »

I think Rod's weekly update is more than enough information for the average fisherman.  Other than that check the tides( if applicable) and weather before you go out.  Why does one feel the need to read reports everyday that the Vedder is stacked with fish and stacked with even more fishermen in the fall?

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 01:42:51 PM »

Rodney's a smart guy and will do what he think's is in the best interest's of FWR. Frankly I'm with Chris on this one. Having just turned
55 and having fished for the majority of those years there's not to many spots nor the timing needed for them that I'm not aware of.
Every year, like the changing seasons I know what should be where due to practice and routine and if it's not, then I hike and explore until I find what I need.

But I would most assuredly, like everyone else here miss Chris's Journal and Rod's wonderful report's and video's. FWR's has been and will continue to be the Best fishing site anywhere and will continue to aid and educate the young and poorly informed on techniques with or without the fishing report.

well said!

who can in their right mind can expect solitude on a river in the LM? Mr & Mrs Rod & Co.'s posts/blogs are intended to be educational.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:49:54 PM by Sandy »
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 05:30:30 PM »

members with zero posts cannot see the report section.

jon5hill

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 06:40:55 PM »

Many people with less than 50 posts pay Rodney to become a member so they are permitted to see that section of the forum. The sharing of information via fishing reports is done on your own volition. If you don't want to share information, simply don't share information.

The appeal of an exclusive fishing reports section is likely a large part of membership purchases from new users.

I highly doubt Rodney would elect to remove something that is contributing to revenue of his very successful website.

jon5hill

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 06:41:45 PM »

members with zero posts cannot see the report section.

paid members with zero posts can.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 07:15:33 PM »

To paraphrase the oft quoted "Guns don't kill people, people do" adage,  fishing reports don't kill location, people do ;-)

salmonlover

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 07:32:44 PM »

nothing funnier than to see grown adults whining

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 07:38:11 PM »

To paraphrase the oft quoted "Guns don't kill people, people do" adage,  fishing reports don't kill location, people do ;-)

Can't agree more. Also coming from that 50 plus age I can shuffle along to dem old fishing holes where you might luck into another great trip without the crowd. I also freely share my opinion on the spot I'm at to younger anglers when they are friendly enough.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

bunnta

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 08:23:21 PM »

you don't have to share fishing holes, or post reports. You can't blame rod for doing what he is doing, if there are paying subscribers hes got to atleast give something up for them to keep paying, just part of the job. Once in awhile just naming a river does no harm, sure there are some rivers that do not need pressure but does that entitle you to fish that river alone for yourself? I would get mad if i showed a friend a secret spot and he told someone else but sharing is sharing, can't have the river to yourself for a lifetime.

Joey

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 07:50:30 AM »

The reason my friends and I have so many deadly spots is because we know how to keep our mouths shut. We found them by putting our time in. Fishing reports should be allowed if they are from major systems but anything smaller than the veddar or stave should  not be allowed

Occassionly,the very hot spots is hot today than very cold the next day

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 12:39:02 PM »

The reason my friends and I have so many deadly spots is because we know how to keep our mouths shut. We found them by putting our time in. Fishing reports should be allowed if they are from major systems but anything smaller than the vedder or stave should  not be allowed
I sympathize with this view but I have not noticed many people reporting on small fragile systems.  People will resist bragging if it means their treasured spot gets crowded out for their trouble.

Even though I enjoy reading reports I have found that fishing reports do not do much for my success on the river.   Of more interest are things like water condition updates, at least then I can know not to go out to a particular river if it is blown out or too low to provide good fishing opportunities.  If the fishing reports were removed it would not make much difference to me  - just my 2c.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 12:42:58 PM by fishseeker »