Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Had enough of those camo wearing bottom bouncers showing up at you fav fishing spot after you bragged about your latest trip on FWR

No more fishing reports
Change it to how to possibly fish that area without the fish count and trophy shots
Have the mods heavily edit the report so know has any idea what you were up to
Leave it intact so the masses can peruse

Author Topic: Should Rodney get rid of that pesky fishing report section  (Read 10114 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Should Rodney get rid of that pesky fishing report section
« on: October 16, 2011, 09:12:54 PM »

Maybe I missed some other options? ::)

*Topic is only for casual banter only. No sit in's or flag burning.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:19:06 PM by troutbreath »
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Should Rodney get rid of that pesky fishing report section
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:18:07 PM »

I just looked and there are 97 guests and 53 users scouring the next place to hoard onto.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

colin6101

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 09:19:01 PM »

Honestly the majority of the reports are on very well known rivers with hatcheries. If someone wants to let everyone know how well they did fishing these rivers then I don't really see a problem with it at all. Over the last couple years I have been exploring many of the smaller systems that the lower mainland has to offer and have been doing quite well. However I almost never see other people fishing these systems or see reports on them and that's the way it should be. I say keep the report section but I really hope that people use their common sense and only report on well known systems.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 09:25:49 PM »

Voted to leave it. Because, well its Rodneys site. If he wants to shut it down, he will. If not, then report away! But I dont understand how guests are viewing it. It should only view to subscribers and people who contribute enough to not be randoms.

Warning!

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
 Please login below or register an account with Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum.

Yup. Thats viewing the forum in IE and not being logged in. With a specific thread link... I get the same thing. I dont think guests can view anything on that board.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 09:27:45 PM by DanJohn »
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 09:28:20 PM »

But I dont understand how guests are viewing it. It should only view to subscribers and people who contribute enough to not be randoms.

It is.

And remember, this is not a democracy  ;)

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 09:57:01 PM »

I voted "keep it and moderate it".  Nothing wrong with a Vedder/ Fraser/ Stave report, because these systems are already very well known, but smaller/sensitive systems shouldn't be pimped on the internet.  If someone maybe new to the sport posts something specific without having given thought to the repercussions, I think the mods should edit the name out of the posting.  I don't think theres inherently anything wrong with writing a tasteful report.  If it were up to me, I'd like to see reports that didn't name locations, ie:  

I fished a local flow today, arrived at first light caught nothing until 10am (7hrs after the high tide), the bite came on and I had four on wool in no time.  Fishing slowed down until I switched to a gold blade, and i hit three more.  Springs were holding in the head of the pools and coho seemed to be hanging out in the tailouts and up tight against the far shore.  Was a great day, and it was peaceful and enjoyable because I didn't post what rock to stand on on the internet.

A report like this is helpful (shows experimenting can lead to fish), and is enjoyable to read and most importantly, doesn't trigger a frenzy of activity at any particular location.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:22:28 PM by Matt »

jizza

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 10:36:38 PM »

I voted "keep it and moderate it".  Nothing wrong with a Vedder/ Fraser/ Stave report, because these systems are already very well known, but smaller/sensitive systems shouldn't be pimped on the internet.  I don't think theres inherently anything wrong with writing a tasteful report.  If it were up to me, I'd like to see reports that didn't name locations, ie:  

I fished a local flow today, arrived at first light caught nothing until 10am (7hrs after the high tide), the bite came on and I had four on wool in no time.  Fishing slowed down until I switched to a gold blade, and i hit three more.  Springs were holding in the head of the pools and coho seemed to be hanging out in the tailouts and up tight against the far shore.  Was a great day, and it was peaceful and enjoyable because I didn't post what rock to stand on on the internet.

A report like this is helpful (shows experimenting can lead to fish), and is enjoyable to read and most importantly, doesn't trigger a frenzy of activity at any particular location.
I agree there's no problem with the fishing report as long as the posts are moderated and that known systems are general ( vedder, stave) and not specific locations ( keith wilson, boulder hole ) are indicated.
Blame the fishermen that told their friends that told their co- workers thats told their neighbours that told their kids that told the fishermen that already knew and not FWR report site.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:40:32 PM by jizza »

Joey

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 10:39:26 PM »

Please do not shut down the fishing report.It is like a bible to me.I read it in the morning and again before I sleep.Please tell me where the location that has fish and I promise not to go there  ;D ;D

joey  

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 10:43:13 PM »

No matter what we vote Rod isn't going to get rid of the reports section. But I think there should be a rule that no small systems are names, and if there is a report on them the name of the river should be edited...

IMO naming even the well known rivers does no justice as it will only make the problem worse and people will spread from the already overpopulated spots to the less explored spots, making the entire river a clown show

the carp

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 11:52:37 PM »

the reports should stay, they are interesting reading and really don't divulge any secrets, the local tackle shops give out far more info than this forum, and lets not forget those pesky cel. phones that i see just about every angler using as soon as they catch a fish informing their buddies of their location. Besides i would miss chris and rods journals too much

holmes

• photobucket.com
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 01:01:47 AM »

shut down the reports section?, lmfao, ya rite, u have to be kidding.....holmes*

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 02:58:25 AM »

It is.

And remember, this is not a democracy  ;)

Next pole: should FWR democratize?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 04:33:11 AM »

the reports should stay, they are interesting reading and really don't divulge any secrets, the local tackle shops give out far more info than this forum, and lets not forget those pesky cel. phones that i see just about every angler using as soon as they catch a fish informing their buddies of their location. Besides i would miss chris and rods journals too much
You are correct, life is too short to worry about it, we that are in our 6th and 7th decade know that. ;D We are in a new age of social networking so lets just enjoy it while we can.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 07:10:16 AM »

sounds like someone went to check out Rods spot and found there were too many other people there doing the same.

ffonly

• the truth is out there...
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 09:29:41 AM »

The 5 w's of the report is up to the responsibility of the reporters. Water clarity, access points, road conditions, water levels etc... becomes a great one stop resource with real time applicability. Trophy shots et al. should be placed in the contest section.

The fishing report section only becomes "pesky" when it becomes too revealing thus overloading what may be an already overloaded system.

Be helpful, be considerate and part of the solution.

"those that can, do; those that can't, criticize"

There is a tall church across the street from the statue

with crosses, steeples, bells and a vast door that looks like

a huge mousehole, perhaps from a Tom and Jerry cartoon,

and written above the door is "Per L'Universo."

Around five o'clock in the afternoon of my cover for

Trout Fishing in America, people gather in the park across

the street from the church and they are hungry.

It's sandwich time for the poor.

But they cannot cross the street until the signal is given.

Then they all run across the street to the church and get

their sandwiches that are wrapped in newspaper.