Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cates Park, August 12th  (Read 4950 times)

SnakeRoll

Re: Cates Park, August 12th
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 09:51:32 PM »

here is what i think about people in boat vs people fishing from shore.
Guys on shore can only cover so much water stuck on shore.. while if u have a boat u have way more water to fish. So I can never understand why anyone in a boat would even come close to casting range of someone fishing from shore.
IF u are in a boat and a guy from shore can cast to you, u are way to close. Besides the fish are not just in that small area where everyone likes to combat fish.

And yes i fish both from shore and from a boat.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 09:53:39 PM by SnakeRoll »

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 10:57:21 PM »

Same thing happened to us on sunday, my wife got a hairful of monofilamint line as some guy on shore chucked a buzz bomb inches away from our heads. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not but we were also sitting close to where the fish like to jump and roll.

I politely lifted the line off our boat and pulled up anchor to get a little further out of casting distance.

Remember guys, no one owns the water or the beach, be considerate of everyone around you.

were you fly fishing?

2slow

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 11:06:38 PM »

Same thing happened to us on sunday, my wife got a hairful of monofilamint line as some guy on shore chucked a buzz bomb inches away from our heads. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not but we were also sitting close to where the fish like to jump and roll.

I politely lifted the line off our boat and pulled up anchor to get a little further out of casting distance.

Remember guys, no one owns the water or the beach, be considerate of everyone around you.

If someone tried to intentionally hurt my wife there would be nothing polite about my reaction. I was out on sat night and some clown all done up in good gear was teaching his buddy the proper technique for fishing pinks. It involved casting out and raising your rod from straight our from you to over your head as  fast as you could in rapid succession to get the fish to "bite". There are morons everywhere.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 11:12:06 PM by 2slow »

David_R

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 09:22:35 AM »

In all fairness we were quite a bit further out of reach from where people were casting to, it happened when all of a sudden the fish decided our boat was a great place to show themselves by, everyone on shore started casting to the risers and then some older gentleman with chest waders and apparently an awesome casting rig got one right over our heads.

I grabbed the line right away and directed it around our boat, there was no danger to either of us at that point, the only thing I'm concerned about are fishermen like the one described above jerking a treble hook into the side of our inflatable boat.

I was spincasting at the time, I'm still learning to flyfish and my cast is pretty pathetic, I would almost have better luck trying to chuck the line with my bare hands. ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 09:25:11 AM by David_R »

2slow

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 10:24:16 AM »

Very difficult to learn to flyfish out at cates unless you are there really early or late    the wind gets so bad that casting well is next to impossible

tcooke

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 12:16:11 PM »

In all fairness we were quite a bit further out of reach from where people were casting to, it happened when all of a sudden the fish decided our boat was a great place to show themselves by, everyone on shore started casting to the risers and then some older gentleman with chest waders and apparently an awesome casting rig got one right over our heads.

I grabbed the line right away and directed it around our boat, there was no danger to either of us at that point, the only thing I'm concerned about are fishermen like the one described above jerking a treble hook into the side of our inflatable boat.

I was spincasting at the time, I'm still learning to flyfish and my cast is pretty pathetic, I would almost have better luck trying to chuck the line with my bare hands. ;)

I was there in my boat flyfishing when that happened. That old guy sure was grumpy! We were across (west) from you in a red alum starcraft.

ashtonspoutine

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 04:26:31 PM »

I tend not to post much, but sometimes I just have to.  There were two guys in a Legend boat today.  One guy hooked, landed and bonked 6 fish.  He was about to bonk one that he dragged in by the tail, when a couple of guys took him to task (thanks Rick and the guys in the canoe).  He decides not to bonk in plain sight of everyone, but takes the fish and gives his best overhand throw.  The fish goes up in the air 10 feet and lands 10 feet out. 
He then pulled anchor and moved a short distance away.  Guys like him make us all look bad.  We can try to educate, put peer pressure, but would a call to DFO help?  Even if there were pictures and maybe a cell phone video, it would be hard to get charges to stick.

On a positive note, my gear got tangled with a guy in a 20+ foot boat and I noticed the barbs on the treble hook weren't pinched, when I told him, he realized he hadn't and pulled out the pliers to pinch the barbs, then thanked me.  Education does work.

Oh, and the fishing was good also.  Got two in the short time I was there.

Cal

I was out yesterday (15th aug) and I saw the same boat SNAGGING FISH!!! He hooked one in the body and one in the tail. His buddy and him saw me staring so they never took the fish completely out of the water, probably to hide the fact the fish was not hooked in the mouth. I thought his method was really weird as well. He would let his lure drop to the bottom and with all his might he would jerk upwards.

I used to do that in New York for the big bait fish we would use. Of course, over there its legal and thats how we were supposed to do it. Everybait shop had 'bunker snags'

If I see him again, Ill approach him (them).  Legend boat. 2 guys.