Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing pliers  (Read 6991 times)

Kenwee

Fishing pliers
« on: December 29, 2011, 02:04:10 PM »

Over the last 2 years, I have bought 4 pliers. 3 were garbage and did not work well and rusted. The one I am using now is  Dr. Slick bullet head plier, it was good for a few months and now it has to be garbaged as it does not do its job anymore. So far I have spent about $85.00 buying these.

What in your opinion is a good set of pliers to buy . It may be wise to buy a quality tool that will last for years to come and one that will not fail when the need arises.

I am thinking of the Abel #2 plier with leather sheath and lanyard which will cost about $200.00.

Any opinions and advice from experience members on this item will be appreciated. Thank you foe any advice.

Nucks

Re: Fishing pliers
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 02:09:45 PM »

How about regular pliers from a store like Crappy Tire. I've been fishing for over 20 years on rivers now and only owned 2 sets of pliers............both just regular run of the mill pliers. I think I've spent maybe 10 bucks in total. No need to break the bank on something that you may lose, pinch barks with and take hooks out of fish mouths right?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 02:35:54 PM »

Why not buy a Leatherman multitool and be done with it.
I have one of my Leathermans (or is that 'Leathermen'? :D) in plier mode all the time in my waders' pocket and it works perfectly.
Plus you get to have the scissors and knife and all other goodies handy when you need them.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »

I have used quite a few pairs of pliers and have now gone to one of the Dr Slick ones and I must say they are great. When I pinch the barb on the hook it pinches it perfectly flat. The head on these Dr Slick pliers are perfect for those small hooks. Some of the other pliers I have owned where great for the larger hooks like a size 1 or 1/0 but the smaller hooks I have found they just do not pinch it flat enough.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 02:44:47 PM »

I have one of my Leathermans (or is that 'Leathermen'? :D) in plier mode all the time in my waders' pocket and it works perfectly.
Plus you get to have the scissors and knife and all other goodies handy when you need them.

I am always afraid of loseing my Leathermen. This is why I just keep it at home.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 02:56:16 PM »

I have used quite a few pairs of pliers and have now gone to one of the Dr Slick ones and I must say they are great. When I pinch the barb on the hook it pinches it perfectly flat. The head on these Dr Slick pliers are perfect for those small hooks. Some of the other pliers I have owned where great for the larger hooks like a size 1 or 1/0 but the smaller hooks I have found they just do not pinch it flat enough.

I'm also a fan of using forceps, although I use the cheapo $8 kind. They are great, don't rust, do everything I need them to and can be clamped onto just about anything (often times my shirt)
Actions speak louder than words.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 07:53:37 PM »

I've been using a needle nose plier I bought from a hardware store. Being serving well for over 10 years and still going strong.

Kenwee

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »

Thank you for our feedback. Will look for a reasonably priced pair of pliers and go from there.

iCemAn

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 09:49:20 PM »

Over the last 2 years, I have bought 4 pliers. 3 were garbage and did not work well and rusted. The one I am using now is  Dr. Slick bullet head plier, it was good for a few months and now it has to be garbaged as it does not do its job anymore. So far I have spent about $85.00 buying these.

What in your opinion is a good set of pliers to buy . It may be wise to buy a quality tool that will last for years to come and one that will not fail when the need arises.

I am thinking of the Abel #2 plier with leather sheath and lanyard which will cost about $200.00.

Any opinions and advice from experience members on this item will be appreciated. Thank you foe any advice.

I just got Abels for my bday. They look and feel awesome and seem to work great! Look forward to using them more. I've always had cheap ones but always lose them or they rust
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 12:06:33 AM »

x2

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 05:12:43 AM »

I buy the $20 Stanley good quality long needlenose pliers, when they get sticky or rusty, they get a overnight WD 40 bath, good as new the next day.
They are strong enough to cut through a hook as well.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

the carp

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 05:35:43 AM »

I get my pliers at garage sales, usually about 2 bucks a pair, collect about 5 over the summer and have lots for the winter season, call me cheap but it works for me.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 09:34:23 AM »

Geff, if you don't mind me asking you, why don't you just buy barbless hooks if you like your barb pinched perfectly flat?

I like to leave a bit of a bump on my hook where the barb was...I find factory barbless too flat for my liking.
A confidence issue I guess.  :-[

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 01:24:04 AM »

Am I and bent rod the only ones who have heard of the magical wd 40?

brownmancheng

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 07:11:09 AM »

Personally my ten buckers have done me very well. Never even
 entertained the idea of high end pliers before this thread!