Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Last Cast Can Pay Off, On The Vedder March 16  (Read 3980 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
The Last Cast Can Pay Off, On The Vedder March 16
« on: March 16, 2008, 01:01:35 PM »

While out on my usual Sunday morning river patrol this morning along the Vedder Canal area I see the usual crowd working the runs below KWB. I find a few bottles and tins by the bridge and just as I am turning on to Keith Wilson Road I notice a $5 bill laying on the side of the road. Most likely dropped by the youngsters who had been partying in the area overnight.

I leap from the Leaf Mobile to retrieve the fin and just then two vehicles want to turn onto the dyke, one honks their horn as I am blocking the entrance way. :-[ I quickly hop back into the LM and give a wave trying to apologize to the driver who most likely is anxious to get fishing.

I head down Keith Wilson, back towards the river, by the Hydro Bridge. When I arrive I see a good number of anglers, drift and fly guys working the run at the bridge. I turn around and head back up river and notice no anglers fishing where I had been having some success in February.
As I have mentioned on a few reports lately I have had no fish on, during this month.

I am thinking should I fish this morning or not as I have certainly been in a slump the last few trips but hey what a beautiful morning, water perfect, and the runs I like to fish are void of anglers.

I slip on my waders, cut up some nickel sized pro cured steelhead bait from my last fish I retained on February 25.

The usual place I cross the river looked too high but I give it a try. As I get part way across I turn back and go further up river to cross, no use taking chances at my age or any age for that matter. I stop a The Bell run to fish and just then my Cell phone rings it is Frank wanting to check on a few fishing related issues. After I hang up the phone I decide to not fish The Bell as I have only had one fish on there and I have fished it so many times without success.

I work the runs below The Bell quickly as my time is fairly limited today due to a meeting at my place dealing with the Spring Bar gravel issue. I see two anglers at the last run I usually fish so I decide to pay them a visit to see if they have found a fish this morning. One of the anglers is an angler from Washington State that I have met this year. He has had nothing but said the other chap had got one wild earlier.

When I reach the other angler I see it is John and he reports the fish he landed was a wild buck close to 18 pounds. He also said he saw a fly fisher take a hatchery a bit below him also, good I think there is a fish or two in the area. I visit with John a bit and then head back up river to the runs I previously had fished.

While I am re fishing one of the runs another angler approaches, it is bug pumper who is fishing with Winter Steel, they had nothing yet either. He reports he was into 3 yesterday including losing a hatchery at the beach. He thought maybe one of the three he could have hooked twice.

Bug pumper and Winter Steel head up river and I decide to cross where I had attempted to do so earlier. It was not as bad as I thought and with a wading stick it was fairly easy.

I am thinking of heading home but decide to do a few flips at The Bell that I had not fished as I mentioned above. It always looks so good but it had not been good to me.

I see bug pumper crossing above me, to fish The Diving Board run. I am going through the motions, casting without much purpose, my trip is over once again but it was a nice outing, hearing about a couple of fish and meeting some other FWR members. I even notice a little bit of algae on the pink wool and bait, too lazy to take it off. "Thats it" I say to myself as the Maple Leaf Drennan drifts near the tail out of the run, maybe 15 feet above where I had crossed the river a few minutes earlier.

Suddenly the MLD is gone, must be bottom I think as I begin to wind in the line. But whats this, a solid feeling, something is shaking on the end. Having not had that feeling for a while I had forgotten what a fish actually feels like.

Look at that, I actually have a fish on, on the last cast of the day too. Now the task is to to keep it from going down the fast water as I really do not want to cross the river again and besides where is my wading staff.

The steelhead clears the water a few times, I wonder if bug pumper sees it. ;D ;D Its a nice bright fish it should be reflecting its chrome up river a bit.

I am able to keep it in the run and after a few minutes of back and forth action I have it in the shallows. I see it is a hatchery doe. With no fish to enjoy the last few weeks it will becomes the 7th fish to be retained this season, that is if I can beach the fish that is around 8 pounds. I guide it further into the shallows and then successfully onto the beach for my 12 of the season landed out of 17 hooked, my current dry spell at an end, for now.

It just shows one can always hold out hope when out fishing, right up to the last cast of the day or was it finding that $5 bill that had something to do with it?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 09:09:57 PM by chris gadsden »

one more cast

Re: The Last Cast Can Pay Off, On The Vedder March 16
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 01:19:13 PM »

Nice one Chris, you found more than one fin today ;D

-Steve
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 03:00:23 PM by one more cast »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 02:39:03 PM »

Patience pays off. Congrats Chris. That is why there is a fishing show called 'One Last Cast'.   ;D It must happen quite often.  ;D

Fishing seems slower in general, so where is the normal 'March Madness' of the wild fish run? Hiope it hasn't gone the way of the dwindling sockeyes.  :(
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 02:43:35 PM by Steelhawk »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 04:42:34 PM »

Does the $5.00 have a picture of Sir Wilfrid Laurier on the front and a picture of a couple of kids playing on the back ? If so, it's mine and I would appreciate having it back. I must have lost it while celebrating Canucks' great victory yesterday with a couple of wobblies.  ;D

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 05:05:24 PM »

oh for gods sake!!  Did you catch it where I told you I lost two hatchery doe's right at the beach?? Possibly the same one twice.  If you did catch it there..YOU stole my fish!!!!!!! ;D  mine were about 8lbs also.
Fish on!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 05:45:55 PM »

oh for gods sake!!  Did you catch it where I told you I lost two hatchery doe's right at the beach?? Possibly the same one twice.  If you did catch it there..YOU stole my fish!!!!!!! ;D  mine were about 8lbs also.
No, not to worry as I caught in the run above it, maybe it moved up from your run, so that makes it mine now. ;D ;D ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 06:03:34 PM »

Lol good job Chris... Im itching to get out.... 2 more days before Im aloud to walk again!

PistolPete

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 07:46:57 PM »

Chris since the Leafs are not going to make the playoffs I have a little something for you Toothpick Tom has it for you ,They burnt the car under the bridge...........GO BRUINS GO

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 08:04:17 PM »

Chris since the Leafs are not going to make the playoffs I have a little something for you Toothpick Tom has it for you ,They burnt the car under the bridge...........GO BRUINS GO
I took the RCMP to it yesterday but they could not have it towed as it appears ICBC has to order it. Does not make sense.

O by the way, the Leafs are still in the running. ;D ;D

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 10:48:08 PM »

Wow - what a Steelhead killer - how many steelhead does one old man need to kill in a season? At least 7. Good on you Chris.
Many anglers have elected to stop killing hatchery Steelhead but hey, to each their own.

It is perfectly legal to harvest 10 hatchery Steelhead per season whether you really need them or not.

If we do get a chinook and sockeye opening on the Fraser this year I hope we don't hear too much about how anglers should limit their harvest in attempts of conservation.

Just my comments on my observation.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 11:16:48 PM »

If said differently, they would be comments, but in this case they are attacks.

Still quite bitter about not being able to fish for sockeye salmon on the Fraser River last season I see.

The comparison of harvesting hatchery raised steelhead to endangered wild chinook and sockeye salmon is not even close to logical. Anyone with an elementary biology background would realize that.

If you are passionately against Chris' view on how the Fraser River resource should be managed, simply join an existing sportfishing group or attend the local SFAC meeting as an individual angler to voice your opinion, instead of pointlessly venting and throwing insults on the world wide web.

The above post will only further encourage those who are involved to keep pursuing a permanent sockeye salmon closure on the Fraser River. :)

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 11:22:19 PM »

I think chris just got Pwned?
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 11:23:18 PM »

Wow - what a Steelhead killer - how many steelhead does one old man need to kill in a season? At least 7. Good on you Chris.
Many anglers have elected to stop killing hatchery Steelhead but hey, to each their own.

It is perfectly legal to harvest 10 hatchery Steelhead per season whether you really need them or not.

If we do get a chinook and sockeye opening on the Fraser this year I hope we don't hear too much about how anglers should limit their harvest in attempts of conservation.

Fishing on the Fraser could be within a very small window of opportunity this year so there most likely will be very limited harvesting allowed. Of course I donot fish for sockeye so I have follow orders from home to try and have fresh fish, within the regulations for the table every couple of weeks when possible. Thats why I am an old man as fresh wild fish is good for you, so they say. ;D ;D ;D

Will be going out for number 8 tomorrow as number 7 has been all eaten up. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 11:25:47 PM »

I think chris just got Pwned?
Its past your bed time you got studies tomorrow. ;D ;D ;D

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 11:26:28 PM »

oh no, a flossing thread in the making..... ;D

Respect for people legal fishing preferrences is the key to 'Fishing Peace'  ;D

Though we differ on our views on the Fraser fishery, I enjoy reading all of Chris's successes on the river with his steelhead journal. Happy for him. Wish I can have his numbers on my diner table.  ;) They are also wonderful reads on cold winter days stuck at an office. Keep them coming Chris.  :)

Hey Chris, don't get DFO to shut us down for the Chinook season before them socx arrive in numbers, okay?   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 11:30:04 PM by Steelhawk »