Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Right hand Baitcaster  (Read 6371 times)

hookme

Right hand Baitcaster
« on: September 25, 2009, 03:52:08 AM »

A right handed baitcast reel is cast with the right hand and is switched to the left hand to retrieve with the right hand..... WHY ?  Just want to know some opinion... ;D ???

ColinB

Re: Right hand Baitcaster
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 04:12:50 AM »

A right handed baitcast reel is cast with the right hand and is switched to the left hand to retrieve with the right hand..... WHY ?  Just want to know some opinion... ;D ???

Good question!!
Perhaps it was developed by a left handed caster who preferred to wind in with their right hand?

That's why I always buy a baitcaster that I can cast right handed and wind in with my left.  These are generally marked with a 1 or lh at the end of the model number IE. ABU 6501 or Curado 301 etc.

Of course some people can cast and wind with either hand. ::)

Hope this helps?

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 06:42:34 AM »

Most of my fishing years I have been using left handers only for a logical reason(no hands flipping). Than, about 10 years ago I developed painful and non healing "fisherman's shoulder". I had no choice but to acquire new right handed set of Calcuttas. and relearn left cast and right hand winding. After about 5 more years my arm healed, and now I always have with me two reels, left and right handed.It is very convenient in some situations.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 08:25:06 AM »

The fact is that most people in this world are right handed, and from polls I've seen on other fishing sites in the past, a large portion of the world reels right handed too.  It has a lot to do with our right hand being the most refined when it comes to motor skills, which allows us to reel faster right handed than we would with out left hand.

I'm one of those who casts with his right hand, switches to his left hand, and then reels with his right hand.  Would it be EASIER if I was efficient at casting with my right hand, and then reeling with my left hand?  Yes.  But it's not easier for me, and I'm fairly certain no matter how much practice time I spent I'll always be a right-handed caster and reeler.  I'm naturally right-handed.

Cheers,
Tex

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 08:35:59 AM »

Why don't you just cast with your left arm, keep the rod in your left hand and reel in with your right. If you are right handed you are more dexterous with a right handed reel - and you can make light adjustments with your left thumb to enhance drag. And anyone who can't hold a rod with their left arm is likely too weak to be on the river anyways.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 08:40:29 AM »

I think it comes down to how you learned to fish.

Old school Canadian fishers cast with the rod on their right side and then reel with their right hand.
That was how my Dad fished and how he taught me.

Most of the people I see on TV (central Canadian & American shows) reel with their left hand.

doja

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 08:52:03 AM »

Ya I reel with my left hand but cast with my right hand. To me this seems the only way, but can be reversed. I'm right handed to begin with so using my strong allow me perfect casts (some of the time :D). The reel arm (left) only reels and plays with line or most important controls drag.

Switching from 1 arm to another seems a little redundant and a pain in the my friend. I tried this once when borrowing another rod/reel. I found it easier to just lean how to do it with the other arm although my casts weren't the best it was fun learning something that I was taking for granted as being very, very easy.

It's like trying to write with the other hand, not so easy to do a "good job", and in fact a challenge.

mr.p

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 09:19:17 AM »

I am right handed.  I used right hand retreive reels.

When float fishing and chucking guts......
My rod usually doesn't leave my left arm/hand.  When I cast, I swing side arm.  Doesn't matter if I'm swinging from the left or right side.  My rod always stays in my left hand. 

When I'm tossing spoons on a spinning rod, I will usually cast overhand, and still use my left arm to cast and right to retreive.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

Stu

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 09:28:46 AM »

This is an interesting thread, I cast with the right hand rod stays in right and reel it in with the left, I find it the most comfortable way to do it.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Nitroholic

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 10:05:28 AM »

right handed, cast with the right, reel with the left. Left handed reel obviously  ;)

hookme

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 10:24:31 AM »

Wow Thanks for the info Guys!! One reason why I like to know is when I using Baitcaster I used a left hand reel and cast my rod on my right Thinking this is the most fastest way and no need to switch although I'm right handed. But when I use my spinner I set my reel on the right kinda freaky  ::) but I'm used to it. I was thinking to upgrade my baitcaster  and use a right hand reel this time cause most of the time right hand is always available and I tried one of my friend's right hand it's not bad to switch take off the strain on your left hand...Goodluck this weekend! :)   

Drunker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 12:16:52 PM »

With all these comments, can someone explain to me why they don't make big game reels left hand retrieve.  i have search all the top manufacturer and talked to shimano but they don't seem to have a lefty version in a big game setup.  why is that.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 03:04:57 PM »

With all these comments, can someone explain to me why they don't make big game reels left hand retrieve.  i have search all the top manufacturer and talked to shimano but they don't seem to have a lefty version in a big game setup.  why is that.

It is not exactly true that there are no lefty versions of big game reels.
Penn has a few Senators and other models of over-the counter big game reels that come in LH configuration, and so do other manufacturers.

Some manufacturers of top-of-the-line stuff such as Alutecnos from Italy will make you a LH version of any of their models for a small extra charge. We are talking some state-of-the-art special order stuff that costs no less than 800-1200 bucks per reel, often more.
Serious big game fishers don't cheap out on their reels.

Plus, there is no casting involved in big game fishing, the control of the fish, once hooked, is all that matters.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 03:07:15 PM by milo »

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 03:28:34 PM »

--hand made Everol makes left retrieve charges 12% good luck finding one in stock likely have to order it expect to wait several months if you get one.
--in todays market overseas manufacturers have such large min numbers that only the larger distributors could afford to get special left hand retrieve and likely would only do it for their most popular models. Obviously something like a fly reel with simple change most can be reversed but a multiplier reel more complex tooling for a conversion. In places like Australia bail spin reels or side cast reels are popular and can usually be reversed by the owner.

--I think just a cost issue for manufactuer and retailer. Would be difficult for retailer to sell same model at significantly higher price for us left crankers.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 04:11:18 PM »

I've seen people who cast with the same hand they reel with.
I think they are simply confused.
They might be ambidextrous and have never realized the benefit of reeling with a different hand.
I know for myself I hit the golf ball going left, but it could have been the other way around.
It was just that the first time I took a golf club the person that taught me did it that way.