Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Room to fish?  (Read 4222 times)

sassyboy

• Mining for Chrome
Room to fish?
« on: October 21, 2004, 06:01:59 PM »

When do you say enough is enough? I have fished the vedder form top to bottom over the last few years but yesterday takes the cake. I arrived at a spot near tamahi, upriver at 7.00am. the first time I have fished it this season. I found a spot between rapids that looked quite promising It was only about 15ft long. There were about 10-12 other fisherpersons in the same general area, but none within 50ft. I had a brief hook up which was quickly lost, then right away I hooked a large coho that came right out of the water that was quickly into the rapids and I failed to land it , but this seemed to trigger something to the nearest fishers, before I knew it there were three others trying to cast into the same spot. the nearest being 3 feet from me. I mean come on with 50klms of river do they really need my 15ft of space, normally I might have been quite rude with them but I just thought who need this s*** and I moved on, by the way there was not one of them under fortyfive so it was not just some cocky young guys.  Don't get me wrong I have combat fished before, but I always thought the length of someones rod was the determining factor in how close you should be. Sorry  >:( just my rant for the day but it kinda spoiled the moment. what would you have done?

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
Re: Room to fish?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 08:12:12 PM »

No beeks in the lower river?! Are you kidding?!?! Today was the biggest big show i've ever seen with about 10 guys BB on the same side of the river, bonking black chinooks and fouling them and hooting and hollaring about how much fun it was. I soon moved on and found a nice spot to myself after some guy decided to stand out 50 feet from shore in the middle of the river in the run I was fishing.

carpman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 08:53:39 PM »

Just had the same experience last weekend.  Up till then, I haven't had a bad experience with ppl crowding me.

But one guy that was with 4 other ppl decided to all fish in one spot.  If I stuck out my arm, I would have hit him with my elbow, he was so close!  What made it worse was that he pretended not to understand english but knew how to ask to borrow my net.  I moved to a new spot so that I didn't have to risk snagging him in the face when I cast.   >:(

I guess some people are so into catching a fish for themselves that all sense of respect goes out the window.  The good news is that the majority of ppl out there aren't "beeks".  :)

Oliver

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 06:10:07 AM »

I've hooked someone in the arm when they decided to cast over my shoulder. That guy was pissed. Ha, I laughed at him to egg him on but he wouldnt go for it. When people start getting real close to me I get really good at casting, at their lines. Then when I bring it in to untangle it, I just cut them off and hand their stuff back to them. Ha ha, that gets them all riled up too.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 09:11:58 AM »

It's a tough one.  When I see people in combat fishing situations I pretty much just feel sorry for them:   they are missing about 90% of what I think sport fishing is all about.  If I'm fishing a stream and come across another angler, I reel in and continue on to where he or she isn't fishing.  I'll probably ask, "Doin' any good?"  But even if the fish are jumping out on the bank, it's not likely I'm gonna wet a line where someone else is already established.  There is very little in the world that beats fishing a beautiful stretch of stream all by your lonesome.  There is little in the world worse than rubbing elboes and tangling lines with a flock of yahoos.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 09:40:04 AM »

Another great reason to fish a center pin: the sweeping motion of the cast generally means you can buy yourself a 10 foot safety zone (11 foot with my sage 3113!). 

If someone trys to walk in on me, I just drop my rod tip and explain they are under my cast and to stand there would be "unwise"!  As long as I am polite, it usually does the trick.

sassyboy

• Mining for Chrome
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 12:17:56 PM »

nice one gooey  :D
May be I should go to my pin. I usually reserve it for steelies.
Or may be I will just fish my quieter spots  ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 07:47:15 PM »

Cutting off other people's leaders would only escalate the bad tension that is brewing up nicely among the Vedder crowds these days. ::) It's not a solution, but only makes you part of the problem. Not to mention the disposed fishing line that has been snipped off on the river banks. Again, treat others like you want to be treated. Inform the ignorant and oblivious individuals who get in your way, instead of wasting your precious free time by stirring things up.

Honestly, I've never had a problem on the Vedder. The biggest crowd I've fished with is maybe 10 people, and that's distributed across a 50 to 60 meters stretch of river. If you choose to fish the popular spots, be prepared to put up with all kinds of people. A walk to a distant spot will usually result in peace and relaxation. The people who show up at those spots usually have the same objectives as you. Again, you are one of the thousands who fish the Vedder each week, please do your part to make this fantastic fishery better.

Regarding language barrier/communication problems, I think all of us agree there is a growth of different ethnic fishing groups in the last several years. Several years ago while meeting with one of the fisheries manager I brought up the importance of regulation guides in different languages. It only makes sense as we do receive a tremendous amount of overseas tourists who come here to fish. Maybe something not as detailed, but a permanent copy of the generic regulations that need to be followed at all times is needed for the major languages.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 09:26:08 PM »

Hey sassy boy, same thing happened to me today. I was fishing a spot by my self down from the crowd and started catching coho. After I got a couple to shore people from above started coming down and fishing my spot.  Go figure.

Another instance that comes to mind was last weekend. I couldn't fish my normal spot because the water was too high so I went a little below it. I walked in between too guys and they told me the spot was full. I don't like to crownd guys but seriously, there was16 feet on one side and 20 feet on the other. I told them that I wasa competent caster and wouldn't tangle them. Then they started threatening me and told me to piss off or else. I'm a big guy but with a broken wrist I'm in no position to look for fights so I just left.
Actions speak louder than words.