Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 148650 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Has anyone else noticed the amount of dead springs laying in the water at the tail end of the runs where these long liners congregate?
Saw 6 this morning, while picking up floats along the river. Still blanked, worse year I have ever had, heavy rain now by the way, will be good float hunting tomorrow as the river most likely will be mud.

TheLostSockeye

Saw 6 this morning, while picking up floats along the river. Still blanked, worse year I have ever had, heavy rain now by the way, will be good float hunting tomorrow as the river most likely will be mud.

The fish are so spooked from all the ripping going on. I see springs spawning in the river way below the hatchery does anyone know the significance of this? Are they supposed to be spawning in the river?

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good

The fish are so spooked from all the ripping going on. I see springs spawning in the river way below the hatchery does anyone know the significance of this? Are they supposed to be spawning in the river?

They have built new spawning pools along the river in some areas of the lower and mid river. I saw a few dead springs along one of these pools yesterday in the lower area. I suppose it's normal for springs to spawn wherever they find safe and suitable.

clarki

• Old Timer

They have built new spawning pools along the river in some areas of the lower and mid river.

Are you referring to the gravel extraction ponds?

TheLostSockeye

Are you referring to the gravel extraction ponds?

I think he is referring to the side channels they made along the lower river. Like the one along the yarrow side of the river. They actually look very nice.

But ive seen springs spawning in the upper in some rapids. quite a number of them too there had to be over 7 pairs spawning.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good

I think he is referring to the side channels they made along the lower river.
Yes. I'm talking about those channels.
BTW, is the main coho run in the system already or is it a relatively later run b/c of lack of rain? I have only seen a few hatch cohos landed this season so far. Also, the Albion test net for the last week shows 0 coho and 769 chums! Are they still feeding in the chuck and waiting for cooler water temps or rain?

TheLostSockeye

Yes. I'm talking about those channels.
BTW, is the main coho run in the system already or is it a relatively later run b/c of lack of rain? I have only seen a few hatch cohos landed this season so far. Also, the Albion test net for the last week shows 0 coho and 769 chums! Are they still feeding in the chuck and waiting for cooler water temps or rain?
I don't think its over quite yet. Although the hatchery is absolutely loaded with cohos and springs. Even saw a doe steelhead up there.
I think we will get a big push of chum/coho with this rain we are experiencing right now.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

The river has risen 1.5ft and it is chocolate brown. Save the gas and stay home.

fishfinder

Drove along the canal this morning on my way to do an errand in Chilliwack and the water was high and chocolate brown. Every single bar was under water. Visibility was 6 inches, maybe?

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer

Yesterday morning we found lots of springs. Lost a coho second cast on roe, guess I was still asleep as I was out both Saturday and Sunday. Got a sockeye too. Chum are showing up in good numbers. Lots of springs both days and the coho are just hiding away from them. Left right before the rain and checked out the canal just before leaving, some sections were about 2-3 feet deep. Good to see the rain finally.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

As said earlier river was mud this AM but some still out there. ::)

River coming around near dark.

TheLostSockeye

Look out here come the chums!!!!!! ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Water visibility was around 2ft just before dark.

243Pete

Went early morning, river was a nice murky coffee brown as to be expected. Hooked into a large spring but lost it. Only stayed for a few hours then headed over to the Stave. Had more luck swinging jigs at chum. :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Clarity was sitting at around 2 to 3 feet this morning, colour is still copperish. River level is ok.