Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Migration  (Read 8677 times)

bcguy

Re: Steelhead Migration
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 08:36:17 PM »

Those are some GREAT reports!!
Interesting seeing the age and qty of returns of the reported systems
1952 was quite a year on the Chilliwack system, makes you wonder what brought about such a stellar year, number of anglers on the system or lots of fish?
Was a notation regarding the derby fish caught that year possibly skewing the report
Sure would have like to have been fishing that year in the derby  8) Cant remember hearing of 243 fish caught in Dec recently
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

buck

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 10:17:08 AM »

Firebird, do you know the year the upper Vedder above Slesse Creek was closed to angling?  Someone had the foresight back then to help preserve the steelhead population.  I hate to think what would be left if it had not been closed at that time. There is evidence the area continues to be fished, sighting worm containers on the log jams and lures hanging in the trees. It is sad there is little to no enforcement. 

Once again, Dave and I will be doing our annual steelhead count this spring on the upper Chilliwack.

firebird

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 01:13:04 PM »

Hi buck, the only info I have indicates that it was closed upstream of Slesse from at least 1974 onwards. I'd have to dig deeper to find out if it was closed before that.

Yes, the low level of enforcement staffing is unfortunate. It's really disheartening to see the signs of violations everywhere - use of bait in bait ban areas, retention of fish in non-retention areas, angling in closed areas and on and on. It's always good to observe, record and report, even if there doesn't seem to be any hope of a response. The reports are needed so that resource managers and CO's can verify the problem areas during planning and budgeting.

I hope to run into you guys on the river sometime this winter or spring.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 01:40:50 PM »

Those are some GREAT reports!!
Interesting seeing the age and qty of returns of the reported systems
1952 was quite a year on the Chilliwack system, makes you wonder what brought about such a stellar year, number of anglers on the system or lots of fish?
Was a notation regarding the derby fish caught that year possibly skewing the report
Sure would have like to have been fishing that year in the derby  8) Cant remember hearing of 243 fish caught in Dec recently

Looks like that huge number in 1952 must be Derby caught (most of it). Ya, it would have been quite a sight on that day, like turkey shoot all over the river. LOL.

Another point is that most Vedder steelhead spend 3 years in fresh water. I wonder if the hatchery now keep them fed for 3 years or they let them go at 2 years and the juveniles need to find food on their own for a year. I often threw the unwanted eggs when cleaning out my catch to the river, hoping that some juvenile salmon or steelhead will have a feast. If the steelhead juveniles stay one extra year in the river, then they need lots of food due to their larger size.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 01:42:55 PM »

I agree with buck, this system would be far less than what it is today without this angling closure.  It was definitely closed during the 60's ... I know this because occasionally a few of us used to sneak in there and do some poaching! :-[

firebird

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 12:01:11 PM »

A closure to fishing between Jan 1 and June 30 was enacted on the Chilliwack and all tribs above the "Allison Bridge" in 1949.

Then in 1952 the Chilliwack and all tribs upstream of Slesse and Slesse were closed to angling from Jan 1 to June 30.

In 1953, the closure of the Chilliwack and all tribs upstream of confluence with Slesse was changed to all year.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 04:33:02 PM »

A closure to fishing between Jan 1 and June 30 was enacted on the Chilliwack and all tribs above the "Allison Bridge" in 1949.

Then in 1952 the Chilliwack and all tribs upstream of Slesse and Slesse were closed to angling from Jan 1 to June 30.

In 1953, the closure of the Chilliwack and all tribs upstream of confluence with Slesse was changed to all year.

Good sleuthing firebird!