Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Something everyone on this board should see.  (Read 7291 times)

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Something everyone on this board should see.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 09:37:36 PM »

Hey matt, you mention "if it proceeds", but in my opinion the handshake has already been made. I hope I'm wrong, but i also now that they are already building the holding tanks in Kitimat, so that can't be good.

The submission deadline for the joint review committee is March 13th, 2012, and the review itself won't be over for quite some time (don't have duration on hand).  There's huge opposition from First Nations and the public.  The fat lady definitely hasn't sung yet.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 10:56:45 PM »

I'd like to reiterate that it isn't good enough to disagree with the project, you must do something proactive if you're voice is to be heard and taken into consideration.

Here's the draft of my letter, I still need to add paragraphs on the economic impact of the pipeline along the lines of what Robyn Allan has come up with in her economic analysis, which is summed up here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2012/02/02/northern-gateway-oil-price-shock.html

Matt
(my address)

Secretary to the Joint Review Panel
Enbridge Northern Gateway Project
444 Seventh Avenue S.W.
Calgary, AB
T2P 0X8
Fax: 403-292-5503

Dear Sirs/Mesdames,

I am writing to voice my concerns about the proposed Northern Gateway pipeline.

The Skeena watershed is home to BC’s second largest salmon run, second only to the Fraser.  As an economic resource alone salmon are valued a $109,987,700 (http://northwestinstitute.ca/downloads/IBM_skeena_report_06.pdf). Furthermore, salmon have an inherent cultural value to British Columbians that cannot be enumerated.  As one of the world’s longest un-dammed rivers and the second largest river in BC, the Skeena watershed is home to a diverse population of animals and fish including a world-renowned population of salmon and steelhead.  Specifically, the Skeena watershed is home to the largest remaining population of wild steelhead as well as large numbers of Chinook, coho, sockeye, chum and pink salmon.  These fish draw anglers from around the world. Moreover, they are used for both sustenance and ceremonial purposes by local First Nations.  Jobs exist as a result of both the commercial and recreational fisheries and ecotourism jobs exist in conjunction with the ecosystems in which salmon are a keystone species.   Many fishing lodges draw tourists to the province and capitalize on the natural wonders for which British Columbia is perhaps most well known.

The proposed pipelines would run through a geographical area prone to landslides.  Four large rockslides have already occurred in the Hazelton Mountains, Kitimat Range and Nechako Plateau since 2002.  Three of the six large rockslides that have occurred since 1978 have severed natural gas pipelines (Howson landslides in 1978 and 1999, and Zymoetz landslide in 2002).  The frequency of pipeline failures in the area clearly illustrates the difficulty of preserving the integrity of a pipeline constructed in this unforgiving terrain.

Should a spill occur, Enbridge’s own experience shows that diluted bitumen spills are difficult to clean up.  The July 25, 2010 pipeline failure near Kalamazoo, Michigan that spilled approximately 20,000 barrels of oil into the Kalamazoo River demonstrated that diluted bitumen can sink to the bottom of rivers, presenting a challenge to the cleanup of a spill.  Because most life in a watershed lives on river bottoms, a diluted bitumen spill is disastrous to the ecosystem in which the spill occurs.

The Polaris Institute, using Enbridge's own data, calculates that 804 spills occurred in the period between 1999 and 2010.  From these spills 168,645 barrels of hydrocarbons were released directly into the environment.  Enbridge considers itself a leading in safe pipelines, yet Enbridge’s own data shows that even the best technology cannot prevent spills from occurring.  A reality that was poignantly illustrated by Enbridge’s January 10, 2012 announcement of a possible leak on its Stingray pipeline off the coast of the Louisiana coast, the very day of the commencement of the Northern Gateway public hearings.

Once the diluted bitumen reaches Kitimat after travelling through the Enbridge pipeline, it needs to be transported by super tanker through Hecate Straight.  Hecate Straight a diverse ecosystem in its own right, and is well known for the extreme weather conditions that characterize the region.  I see this presenting two significant problems. First, this greatly increases the risk of running aground. Second, should a spill occur, the cleanup effort will hampered by weather and the diluted bitumen has the potential to widely and rapidly be spread by the weather conditions.

The onus is on stakeholders such as Enbridge to present a safe plan to bring oil to market should it desire to profit from the endeavor.  To date, they have not done so.  The current plan is markedly flawed and cannot be allowed to proceed.

Thank you for taking into consideration my thoughts on this matter.  Another solution must be found to the problem of bringing Albert tar sand oil to market.  The proposed Northern Gateway project in its current state presents too great a risk to British Columbians to be worthy of consideration.  Enbridge’s experience shows that even with their experience and technology, they cannot prevent spills from occurring.  Piping diluted bitumen through an area as sensitive and environmentally significant as the Skeena Watershed and subsequently shipping it in tankers along the BC coastline should not be attempted.

Signed,

Matt

CC:
Kenneth MacDonald
VP, Law and Regulatory Affairs
Northern Gateway Pipelines Inc.
30th Floor, 425 – 1st Street SW
Calgary, Alberta
T2P 3L8
Fax: 403-718-3525
kenneth.macdonald@enbridge.com

Abby Dorval
Manager, Regulatory Affairs
Calgary, Alberta
T2P 3L8
Fax: 403-231-7380
abby.dorval@enbridge.com

Richard Neufeld, Q.C.
Barrister & Solicitor Fraser Milner Casgrain
15th Floor, 850 – 2nd Street SW
Calgary, Alberta  
T2P 0R8
Fax: 403-268-3100
richard.neufeld@fmc-law.com
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:53:03 AM by Matt »

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 01:11:37 PM »

Thats a good letter Matt. I'll be starting mine shortly.

I'm not sure if you've sent it in yet, but I noticed a few errors in it. Not trying to be the grammar police, just trying to help.

Matt
(my address)

Secretary to the Joint Review Panel
Enbridge Northern Gateway Project
444 Seventh Avenue S.W.
Calgary, AB
T2P 0X8
Fax: 403-292-5503

Dear Sirs/Mesdames,

I am writing to voice my concerns about the proposed Northern Gateway pipeline.

The Skeena watershed is home to BC’s second largest salmon run, second only to the Fraser.  As an economic resource alone salmon are valued a $109,987,700 (http://northwestinstitute.ca/downloads/IBM_skeena_report_06.pdf). Furthermore, salmon have an inherent cultural value to British Columbians that cannot be enumerated.  As one of the world’s longest un-dammed rivers and the second largest river in BC, the Skeena watershed is home to a diverse population of animals and fish including a world-renowned population of salmon and steelhead.  Specifically, the Skeena watershed is home to the largest remaining population of wild steelhead as well as large numbers of Chinook, coho, sockeye, chum and pink salmon.  These fish draw anglers from around the world. Moreover, they are used for both sustenance and ceremonial purposes by local First Nations.  Jobs exist as a result of both the commercial and recreational fisheries and ecotourism jobs exist in conjunction with the ecosystems in which salmon are a keystone species.   Many fishing lodges draw tourists to the province and capitalize on the natural wonders for which British Columbia is perhaps most well known.

The proposed pipelines would run through a geographical area prone to landslides.  Four large rockslides have already occurred in the Hazelton Mountains, Kitimat Range and Nechako Plateau since 2002.  Three of the six large rockslides that have occurred since 1978 have severed natural gas pipelines (Howson landslides in 1978 and 1999, and Zymoetz landslide in 2002).  The frequency of pipeline failures in the area clearly illustrates the difficulty of preserving the integrity of a pipeline constructed in this unforgiving terrain.

Should a spill occur, Enbridge’s own experience shows that diluted bitumen spills are difficult to clean up.  The July 25, 2010 pipeline failure near Kalamazoo, Michigan that spilled approximately 20,000 barrels of oil into the Kalamazoo River demonstrated that diluted bitumen can sink to the bottom of rivers, presenting a challenge to the cleanup of a spill.  Because most life in a watershed lives on river bottoms, a diluted bitumen spill is disastrous to the ecosystem in which the spill occurs.

The Polaris Institute, using Enbridge's own data, calculates that 804 spills occurred in the period between 1999 and 2010.  From these spills 168,645 barrels of hydrocarbons were released directly into the environment.  Enbridge considers itself a leader in safe pipelines, yet Enbridge’s own data shows that even the best technology cannot prevent spills from occurring.  A reality that was poignantly illustrated by Enbridge’s January 10, 2012 announcement of a possible leak on its Stingray pipeline off the coast of the Louisiana coast, the very day of the commencement of the Northern Gateway public hearings.

Once the diluted bitumen reaches Kitimat after travelling through the Enbridge pipeline, it needs to be transported by super tanker through Hecate Straight.  Hecate Straight a diverse ecosystem in its own right, and is well known for the extreme weather conditions that characterize the region.  I see this presenting two significant problems. First, this greatly increases the risk of running aground. Second, should a spill occur, the cleanup effort will hampered by weather and the diluted bitumen has the potential to widely and rapidly be spread by the weather conditions.

The onus is on stakeholders such as Enbridge to present a safe plan to bring oil to market should it desire to profit from the endeavor.  To date, they have not done so.  The current plan is markedly flawed and cannot be allowed to proceed.

Thank you for taking into consideration my thoughts on this matter.  Another solution must be found to the problem of bringing Alberta tar sand oil to market.  The proposed Northern Gateway project in its current state presents too great a risk to British Columbians to be worthy of consideration.  Enbridge’s experience shows that even with their experience and technology, they cannot prevent spills from occurring.  Piping diluted bitumen through an area as sensitive and environmentally significant as the Skeena Watershed and subsequently shipping it in tankers along the BC coastline should not be attempted.

Signed,

Matt

CC:
Kenneth MacDonald
VP, Law and Regulatory Affairs
Calgary, Alberta
T2P 3L8
Fax: 403-718-3525
kenneth.macdonald@enbridge.com

Abby Dorval
Manager, Regulatory Affairs
Calgary, Alberta
T2P 3L8
Fax: 403-231-7380
abby.dorval@enbridge.com

Richard Neufeld, Q.C.
Barrister & Solicitor Fraser Milner Casgrain
15th Floor, 850 – 2nd Street SW
Calgary, Alberta  
T2P 0R8
Fax: 403-268-3100
richard.neufeld@fmc-law.com

[/quote]
Actions speak louder than words.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 06:30:47 PM »

Thanks Sterling, point them out, grammar matters!  Haven't sent it yet, I want some material about economic impacts (paraphrasing economist Robyn Allan's findings), so the more editing the better.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 12:08:02 PM »

yet anything made from oil can be made with hemp and hemp has actually more uses.
Depends how much you smoke and what you want to make after you've eaten all the potatoe chips I guess. ???

P.S. post some pics of your hemp powered hemp mobile.
(and Scooby Doo's Mystery Machine doesn't count.)

But really, an important issue to stay informed of and act on.

Thanks for the info.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 07:20:32 PM »

Less than a month left to write a letter.  PLEASE do so.  This issue is far larger than merely fish-related, its about a major watershed, coastline and an oil company without any regard for the risks British Columbians will be forced to bear.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 08:36:01 PM »

IMHO this pipeline is going to be very hard to stop with logical arguments or demonstrations.   The man in Ottawa wants it.

So BC should make it marginally economic for the proponents by arranging to tax every inch of it again and again.  A transit tax of $10,000,000/km/year for the part in BC plus a large port levy on the tankers would be a good start.  Make the return very small relative to their liability risk and cost.

These taxes should be within the legal jurisdiction of BC and we could stall it for years with legal arguments and maybe, just maybe, kill it.

I agree it would be better to stop it first and let's work hard on that.  Taxes can be plan B and work on that too.