Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's this? #8  (Read 7283 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
What's this? #8
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:00:52 PM »

Mystery fish #8 is now online!

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/contests/index.html

Thanks Dion for supplying the photo! ;)

Our mystery fish contest is a new fun project on the website that aims to help our readers in fish identification. If you get it right, you have a chance to win the featured draw prize. ;)

Mystery fish #1

Mystery fish #2

Mystery fish #3

Mystery fish #4

Mystery fish #5

Mystery fish #6

Mystery fish #7

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: What's this? #8
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »

Bump! Two days left!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 07:41:20 PM »

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 09:00:15 PM »

The Tench (Tinca tinca) or doctor fish, also known as Линь in Russian, is a freshwater and brackish water fish of the Cyprinid family, Carp family found throughout Eurasia from Western Europe including the British Isles east into Asia as far as the Ob and Yenisei Rivers. It is also found in Lake Baikal. It normally inhabits slow-moving freshwater habitats, particularly lakes and lowland rivers.[

So was my answer incorrect i put carp but in brackets put (Tench) ?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:02:08 PM by Rantalot »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 10:03:51 PM »

It is sort of dumb that it says BC fish and It looks like a smallmouth yellow fish or a carp with small scales which aren't in BC..

The specimen in this photograph was caught at Christina Lake in the Kootenay Region.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 11:11:29 PM »

I said Carp as well. I am fine with being wrong though. Any of the other contests, had I said "Salmon" I would not have expected it to be right. Sure, it is a carp, its a part of the carp family, but that answer isnt really right. I am find with being wrong on this one. I dont know much about those fish, and blegh, I wouldnt mind never catching one. Ill stick to my salmons, trouts and chars.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 07:27:30 AM »

Well I was one of the 26 that said tench and I still did not win.  My luck is all bad. :'(
Not all those who wander are lost

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 01:58:27 PM »

For the record I caught that fish in BC and I had no clue what it was either. I sent Rodney that picture and asked him. Then I contacted the Conservation Officer's service to ask if they were aware that these fish had moved into Christina Lake (which is actually in Region 8 - Okanogan, not Kootenay as Rodney stated). They responded as follows:

Hi Dion.

You’re right, that’s a tench.

Fish and Wildlife has been aware of a number of non-native species including tench in Christina Lake for some time. Due to the lake’s size, eradication is not practical and even control may not be feasible for these various species.
It’s possible that people introduced them (illegally) to Christina Lake, and also that they are swimming upstream from Roosevelt Reservoir, the Kettle R. and Christina Creek.
Increases in numbers are more likely from these fish colonizing and breeding in the lake, and not from more abundant immigration or large scale illegal transplants.

Thanks for the note and photo – Jeff

Jeff Burrows
Senior Fish Biologist

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 07:01:35 PM »

So how come no one answered my question????

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »

Geesh and how does that answer my question???? Rod said it's not of the carp family but the post i copied and pasted say's other wise and my answer was once agian a  carp with (Tench) beside it.So which is it can we have an unbiased judge settle this:)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »

Where did I say it's not in the carp family?

Quin

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 10:48:57 PM »

I think the problem is people use the term "Carp" family. It's true in the broad sense, I think it's used because people are familiar with carp. People see "Carp" but don't see "family"
Carp and tench belong to the cyprinid family. Northern pike minnow(squawfish) and the aquarium zebra danio are members as well. It could be said it belongs to the pike minnow family.

So what it's worth (IMHO), your right it's a tench but wrong that it's a carp, but it belongs to the same family. So count yourself amongst the 25+ who got it right.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 10:55:57 PM by Quin »

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 10:52:27 PM »

"and it is closely related to carp" ???Either you corected an error or i just plain done read it wrong:)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 11:05:53 PM »

Yeah, you read it wrong.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 11:07:44 PM »

I think the problem is people use the term "Carp" family. It's true in the broad sense, I think it's used because people are familiar with carp. People see "Carp" but don't see "family"
Carp and tench belong to the cyprinid family. Northern pike minnow(squawfish) and the aquarium zebra danio are members as well. It could be said it belongs to the pike minnow family.

So what it's worth (IMHO), your right it's a tench but wrong that it's a carp, but it belongs to the same family. So count yourself amongst the 25+ who got it right.

Yep, what we're looking for in these contests is the exact common name or scientific name of the species, not just the name of the family that it belongs to. As long as the name tench was mentioned, your answer was counted as correct.