Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: this isnt for the weak of heart  (Read 13797 times)

weizen

Re: this isnt for the weak of heart
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 03:58:11 PM »

Most people don't have a clue where their foods come from. They seem to think that steaks, prime ribs, pork, chicken, turkeys come in neatly package trays from Safeway.

WHAT!!!!  :o :o   Don't tell me meat comes from somewhere else?   I mean come on....next thing you'll be saying Santa isn't real... ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 04:09:07 PM »

Most people don't have a clue where their foods come from. They seem to think that steaks, prime ribs, pork, chicken, turkeys come in neatly package trays from Safeway.

WHAT!!!!  :o :o   Don't tell me meat comes from somewhere else?   I mean come on....next thing you'll be saying Santa isn't real... ;)
;D

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 10:56:22 PM »

Life is brutal, we do much worse to people. Did you start a petition when the slaughter...errr ethnic cleansing went on in Africa or E. Europe? Is murder with axes and machetes for non food sources less offense???
It is a food source over there, It's not pretty but is slashing the gills out of a salmon or steelhead and watching it flop around on the shore and better??? How many videos of heartless Canadian/U.s. fisherman are there on the internet now???
Birdman, remember how you got dogged about that picture you took??? Now you know why we did it....You could have been a poster child for these guys!!!

I totally agree with this!
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2007, 10:57:39 PM »

if the average person had a clue how livestock are slaughtered theyd be second guessing eating it.  me ive given up avoiding it until i get my PAL and CORE.  after that i doubt ill ever touch beef again i hate the stuff.....

pfff pusssssyyy
When the weather's fine

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 12:22:12 AM »

just go to youtube and punch in pig slaughter, or camel sacrifice, or cow slaughter.

i admit, i felt kinda bad for the way these animals died, but i ain't gonna stop eating meat. i say...kill only what you need and eat everything that you kill....other than that, if you can't handle that then go vagen.

if you're sensitive or squeamish, just watch the videos over and over....it'll help de-sensitize you.  ;D COLD I KNOW, BUT HEY THAT'S LIFE.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 08:20:46 AM »

just go to youtube and punch in pig slaughter, or camel sacrifice, or cow slaughter.

i admit, i felt kinda bad for the way these animals died, but i ain't gonna stop eating meat. i say...kill only what you need and eat everything that you kill....other than that, if you can't handle that then go vagen.

if you're sensitive or squeamish, just watch the videos over and over....it'll help de-sensitize you.  ;D COLD I KNOW, BUT HEY THAT'S LIFE.

I agree ;)
weeeeeeeeeow!

Ribwart

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 08:03:23 PM »

It's not so much the killing of the dolphins.  It's the inhumane killing of them.

We don't like to see even "lower intelligence" animals such as fish suffer.    We make a point of quickly dispatching our kill.  This is an expose of definitely needless suffering by the dolphins.  They should be killed quickly so as to minimize their suffering.

Well said photodude...

... listening to the narration was making me as sick as well >:(  Who wrote that script? everything was EXREMELY biased....

Agreed, definitely trying to spice things up a bit...

Quote from: Xgolfman
Life is brutal, we do much worse to people. Did you start a petition when the slaughter...errr ethnic cleansing went on in Africa or E. Europe? Is murder with axes and machetes for non food sources less offense???

Good point, it's tough though, I think we have been conditioned during the course of our lives, towards a sense of apathy or inability to make a difference...perhaps we should start petitions, etc for every atrocity we hear of, but I think in cases like this one Darmin brought up, making a difference might seem more attainable than causes like those mentioned in the quote...

Having said that, who's to say Darmin hasn't started or participated in petitions against ethnic cleansing, persecution, or other atrocities...? I certainly can't say if he has or hasn't...I can only presume he brought it up here because it is a fisheries related topic...

However, we might inspect our own activities with the seal hunt here at home as well if we are going to do so with those of others abroad....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 08:22:43 PM by Ribwart »

DAY AT THE RIVER

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2007, 08:34:14 PM »

is it size what it make a different,8lb coho or 500lb dolphin?Hindus feel offended,that you eat steaks....it is just different point of view...

Ribwart

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2007, 08:45:37 PM »

is it size what it make a different,8lb coho or 500lb dolphin?Hindus feel offended,that you eat steaks....it is just different point of view...

I think most people feel it's worse because dolphins are considered one of the most intelligent and complex socially evolved creatures on the planet, next to us, supposedly...but it isn't much different I guess, if you look at it from a food source only angle...

I would offer a couple other angles to consider though...

Dolphins are wild animals, not bred as a food source like our chickens, pigs or cows. Nor are any natural dolphin populations managed for sustainable harvest or supplemented in any way, as far as I know anyhow...

Are the levels of harvest in tune with the dolphin populations natural ability to replenish itself? If not, what would we have to say about this when they are all gone?

Also, Is there a cheap, effective and humane way to kill their catch rather than slicing their throats after they've been dragged up onto the dock?

Just a couple of things to consider, as I feel just stomping on this is a little bit trigger happy, although everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, there may be more to this than meets the eye.

ps: I'll be away from the forum for a day or two, so don't stomp on my comments too hard, however thick my skin may be...

rib
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 08:49:28 PM by Ribwart »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2007, 09:13:09 PM »

It's not so much the killing of the dolphins.  It's the inhumane killing of them.

We don't like to see even "lower intelligence" animals such as fish suffer.    We make a point of quickly dispatching our kill.  This is an expose of definitely needless suffering by the dolphins.  They should be killed quickly so as to minimize their suffering.

Well said photodude...

Sigh..... Too much work travel - not enough fishing :'(

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 12:35:47 AM »

I think most people feel it's worse because dolphins are considered one of the most intelligent and complex socially evolved creatures on the planet, next to us, supposedly...but it isn't much different I guess, if you look at it from a food source only angle...

I would offer a couple other angles to consider though...

Dolphins are wild animals, not bred as a food source like our chickens, pigs or cows. Nor are any natural dolphin populations managed for sustainable harvest or supplemented in any way, as far as I know anyhow...

Are the levels of harvest in tune with the dolphin populations natural ability to replenish itself? If not, what would we have to say about this when they are all gone?

Also, Is there a cheap, effective and humane way to kill their catch rather than slicing their throats after they've been dragged up onto the dock?

Just a couple of things to consider, as I feel just stomping on this is a little bit trigger happy, although everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, there may be more to this than meets the eye.

ps: I'll be away from the forum for a day or two, so don't stomp on my comments too hard, however thick my skin may be...

rib

unfortunately, nothing in this world is sustainable for an infinite timeline. especially when commerce is involved. like always, we humans wait till the brink of exhaustion before we react.

all animals start off wild. naturally we chose the species which were the easiest to domesticate and replicate, to use for our personal needs.

sustainability is a major problem that does not elude our domestic stocks. over use of growth hormones (in feeds) and antibiotics even compromises them.
and alas, poor management inflict poor living conditions and questionable handling of these same so-called animal food source.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 06:54:44 AM »

Interesting that my link to a site discussing sexual relations with dolphins gets moderated (deleted).  ergo:  it is ok to show and discuss slaughtering these critters, but not ok to bring up getting it on with them.  Anyone interested might google "dolphin love."

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2007, 06:57:16 AM »

I've been reading the posts and I'm pretty surprised at the collective amount of misinformation, bravado and just plain ignorance.

The biggest problem with comparing dolphins/sharks to chickens/cows is that the oceans provide from 50 to 70% of the oxygen on this planet. Also we can't "raise" sharks and dolphins on a scale that is significant ~ nature must do it (they are not chickens or pigs folks). Creatures like dolphins and sharks are at the top of the oceanic food chain and maintain the harmony in relationships among smaller fish/plankton which creates the required air humans need to breath.  Wipe out the oceans larger predators and you have a massive imbalance that impacts peoples ability to stay alive.

If I laid a long trap line for fox of say 30 miles and inadvertently caught moose, rabbit, bear, beaver ~ the general public outrage would shut be down in a day. And yet we allow long lining of the oceans which impacts us as a human species by endangering our future oxygen supply 1000 times more then allowing the odd panda or spotted owl going extinct.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 08:32:06 AM by dennisK »

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2007, 11:21:11 AM »

Interesting that my link to a site discussing sexual relations with dolphins gets moderated (deleted).  ergo:  it is ok to show and discuss slaughtering these critters, but not ok to bring up getting it on with them.  Anyone interested might google "dolphin love."

hahaha dude you are hillarious ;D

dolphin love

id love to see a southpark episode showing that
When the weather's fine

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2007, 01:10:37 PM »

"The biggest problem with comparing dolphins/sharks to chickens/cows is that the oceans provide from 50 to 70% of the oxygen on this planet. Also we can't "raise" sharks and dolphins on a scale that is significant ~ nature must do it (they are not chickens or pigs folks). Creatures like dolphins and sharks are at the top of the oceanic food chain and maintain the harmony in relationships among smaller fish/plankton which creates the required air humans need to breath.  Wipe out the oceans larger predators and you have a massive imbalance that impacts peoples ability to stay alive."

"
So your saying fish provide the oxygen that we need to survive??? What complete CRAP!!!! The part of the food chain that is the most damaged is the lower end, the basic foods the fish eat. Without them, all the fish are hurt...look at your Howe sound....Everything else your stating is total B.S.