Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Center pin fishing  (Read 9043 times)

dave c

Center pin fishing
« on: December 25, 2012, 01:21:11 PM »

With Steelhead season upon us looking forward to trying out my new centerpin rig.  As I am new to pinning I have a question regarding casting.  I've watched Rod's video on spring steelhead and it looks as though he just does the same type of cast as one would with a baitcaster, yet on the internet i've seen many videos where guys use a technique called the Wallis cast.  They claim that not doing this type of cast results in twisting of the line.  Any thoughts?  P.S.  Good luck to all you guys fishing in the Boxing Day Tourney.....don't worry I won't be getting in your way.  I'll be fishing Norrish tomorrow just to get used to the rig and hopefully I'll have a couple of hookups of coho just to get a feel for the rod.  Thanks guys and Merry Christmas to all you fishing buddies!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Center pin fishing
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 01:40:19 PM »

I use the same cast as Rodney. Seems to me that the Wallis cast is for fishing spots that don't have much back space to cast.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 01:47:43 PM »

The wallis is good for tight spots with no room for back cast. Takes alot of practice to become decent at it but there's few places I use this cast. As for line twist, that is completely false as far as I'm concerned.
Cast sort of the same motion as a levelwind but less flick and let the spool startup on your back cast.
Long soft rods are great for this type of cast because the rod itself will load up and get the reel going.
I noticed a huge difference going from a moderate fast action on a 10' gl2 to my 3113lb on ease of casting.
Glad to hear you're going to a river to Practice, you have a better chance catching a fish there then on your lawn, and the current can help you pull out your birdsnest you'll be getting good at pulling out.
Good luck out there.

dave c

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 01:55:19 PM »

Glad to hear you're going to a river to Practice, you have a better chance catching a fish there then on your lawn, and the current can help you pull out your birdsnest you'll be getting good at pulling out.
Good luck out there.
Thanks for the response Noah.  I'd rather look like a fool with no one else around ;D.  Hopefully it will be a quick learning process. 

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »

It won't take u long to get a hang of casting the pin. The side cast, like Rodney's , is the one I use too. The only thing that u really have to do to get a decent cast is letting the spool go during the back swing. Easy peasy. Good luck.
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

dave c

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 05:22:28 PM »

It won't take u long to get a hang of casting the pin. The side cast, like Rodney's , is the one I use too. The only thing that u really have to do to get a decent cast is letting the spool go during the back swing. Easy peasy. Good luck.
tks jewelz

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 06:29:19 PM »

I am also new to the center pin and spent a few days on the river with the new setup. 
It's not all that complicated. Use the same backhand and forehand cast you use with the baitcasting reel.
The Wallis cast seems like a lot of work (inefficient) and I wouldn't use it.
Just keep control of the spool even when you are casting and you won't have any overrun.
Spool should never run completely free.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 11:42:04 AM »

The Wallis cast seems like a lot of work (inefficient) and I wouldn't use it.

Not true, it can be done with very minimal motion. Flick of the wrist of the hand that holds the rod and slight tug of the opposite hand on the line. A side cast your whole body twists, both arms swing to move the rod.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 05:19:58 PM »

if you are not wallis casting then you are not using the pin to its full potential. Once you master it you rarely side cast

I've never seen anyone do wallis cast on the any of the rivers in BC.
Ever.

I prefer to use one hand for casting. Seems to be a lot more accurate for me.

Also because wallis cast uses a flick to send the rig out, I don't know if it would be good when fishing with roe.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 05:24:21 PM by adriaticum »

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »

I've never seen anyone do wallis cast on the any of the rivers in BC.
Ever.

I prefer to use one hand for casting. Seems to be a lot more accurate for me.

Also because wallis cast uses a flick to send the rig out, I don't know if it would be good when fishing with roe.

Like the previous post claims, once you master the Wallis cast, you rarely use the side cast.  Its an effortless flick of the wrist.  Perfect for any scenario, I use it on 90 percent of my casts.  It took me three days to figure it out..
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 05:59:00 PM by TheChumWhisperer »

dave c

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 01:00:48 PM »

Thanks for everyones input.  Went to Norrish as planned.  First half hour was a comedy show until i noticed that between the fourth and fifth eyelet of my rod the line was wrapped around the blank (DUH!!!!).  Then for the next half hour dealt with continuous backlashes.  Eventually got it figured out......went down to train tressle where there were a couple hundred coho just stacked.  Hooked 7 landed 4 in the next half hour.  Had a riot  palming the spool....had a couple knuckle busters (Ouch).  All in all a really rewarding day.  The endless drag free drifts were amazing.  Now I understand the attraction to CP.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »

Atta boy, good on ya man!

dave c

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 11:35:46 AM »

Atta boy, good on ya man!
Thanks alot Noah.  Your tip on letting the spool start spinning on the backcast was REALLY helpful...It took a few tries but after a while found just the right moment to release spool and was pleasantly surprised at how far one can actually cast without much effort. Still have badcasts but the learning process is heading in the right direction.  Amazed how much fun it is fighting a fish with no drag to rely on.  Really looking fwd to fighting a fresh Steelie...... The coho were fun but they were very colored.  Something tells me I'm in for a bit of a shock the first time a steelhead goes on a wild tear.....or when it runs at you!!!!!!!!!!!!

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 02:11:27 PM »

A tip while your learning start casting a 35 gr float or greater you don't have to try very hard for a long cast with the extra weight.

dave c

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 02:32:41 PM »

A tip while your learning start casting a 35 gr float or greater you don't have to try very hard for a long cast with the extra weight.
thanks for the tip.  I was using a 25g will try a 35g my next outing