Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whats the best way to kill and take home a Salmon?  (Read 15841 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Whats the best way to kill and take home a Salmon?
« on: September 25, 2008, 06:45:07 PM »

Most of the time I am a strictly catch and release fisher but my wife keeps gently ribbing me about my inability to bring anything home.  She just can't see the point of me fishing strictly for fun.

Anyway, I figured this time I would attempt to bring at least one Salmon home should I be lucky enough to catch one.  The only problem is I really have no idea how to a) kill a fish as humanely as possible or b) how to bring it home as fresh as possible.  (I figured lots of ice but I large enough salmon would need a very large ice bucket).

I should add that I have very limited experience with Salmon fishing so I will be very careful not to kill a wild one or the wrong type.   (I will make sure I have pictures with me so I don't accidentally kill a sockeye or a wild one - very concerned about that possibility)

Some ideas on this would be much appreciated.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:46:42 PM by fishseeker »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Whats the best way to kill and take home a Salmon?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 07:09:15 PM »

The most humane way of dispatching a salmon is to hit on the head between the eyes with a bonker or a heavy item. Then bleed it.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 07:12:03 PM »

Usually when we decide to keep a salmon, we use either a rock or stick to dispatch it by hitting the head several times.

We then slit the gill and allow the blood to drain.

In fall months, because the water is cold enough, we keep the fish in the water while we fish (in the summer, either have them in the cooler immediately or wrap them in a cold wet rag). I prefer to carry the fish from the river to the car without a bag (waste of a bag) and transfer it directly into a cooler that is filled with ice.

gman

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 08:43:24 PM »

I agree with all the above comments. However I like to bring a fish bag (NOT a garbage bag), and a large freezer bag in case there is roe. If I'm hiking a long way I can put the fish in the bag, and put it in my pack, or in a bag like you would carry a collapsible chair in.

yakideath12

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 09:10:55 PM »

that spring tells me "GG"

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 09:53:40 PM »

If you plan on keepings a white spring, as soon as you bonk&Bleed wrap it in a black garbage bag, and let it sit in the water. For some reason it stops the spring from turning its chrome colour to a darker black colour. Im not sure why white springs turn black after coming out of the water, but I think the air does it to them? ???
The Bigger The Better!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 10:07:04 PM »

Clean it? But I want to keep fishing!
usually I leave cleaning till im done fishing a run, or heading home. Some people say you should be bleeding/ cleaning fish right away because the blood taints the meat or something, not sure what exactly that means? but just incase, I always bleed the fish from the gills.
The Bigger The Better!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 10:18:09 PM »

Never clean your fish before you are ready to leave. Cleaning the fish exposes the meat and if you set that in the water you have a higher chance of bacteria trasferring onto the meat. Bleed your fish (this will keep your roe and meat nice) and either leave it in the water (hot days) or if you can it is best to put it in a cooler or bag so that you are not soaking the meat in water. Leaving a cleaned fish in water ruins the meat, its like watering down a steak..

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 10:58:30 PM »

I clean my fish as soon as possible particularly in warm weather. If you don't the stomach acids starts deteriorating the meat. It's taints the meat yellow.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 11:40:13 PM »

Ya, I agree with FA. That is only if you can store away a freshly cleaned fish in a cooler. During sockeye seasons in the past. I hate Peg Leg for its crowd. But nothing beat that spot for the mere fact that you can park your car right behind where you are fishing, so you can really catch, clean, and ice chill the fish right away. Some of the best sashimi I ever enjoyed came from some of those fish caught there. The meat stay firm and fresh when processed this way.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 03:27:35 AM »

I always bleed fish immediately after killing it.  However, do not wrap in a black-plastic bag.  It will absorb sunlight and warm up.  Also, the water is not that cold.  The fish will stay colder if wrapped in a wet burlap-bag and kept on the shore.  The evaporative cooling effect is more than the cold water.  I think I got this info off the salmon university website, but I'm too lazy right now to go out and look for this citation. 

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 06:52:03 AM »

This is all great information - thanks a lot.  (Thanks for the pictures Rodney - it's good to be able to see it).

If I can bring one home in good condition my wife will be very happy.  (She comes from a fish culture and she is an absolute wizard at cooking them so I will be even happier if I am lucky enough to catch one).

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 08:19:38 AM »

When you cut the gills try to keep the fish in the water submerged so it bleeds out completely. If you keep it dry while bleeding it will form blood clots quickly and it might not bleed out completely.
I usually have a rope that I run through their gills and then submerge them in water.
This also helps me keep the fish in deeper water where its cooler.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 06:44:28 PM by adriaticum »