Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 148518 times)

A Frayed Knot

Just out of curiosity what method did the researchers use to capture and tag these coho in Ft.Langley?

Traps and nets typical, once I've seen them use rods but mostly I see them drop nets like gillnets but smaller hole and just sorta coral salmon. But I guess it depends on where and when.

This is what I am used to seeing myself but I don't know for sure if this is the "go-to" method or not.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 09:39:49 PM by A Frayed Knot »
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

SPEYMAN

"Beach Seining" is the method shown in the picture.

A Frayed Knot

"Beach Seining" is the method shown in the picture.

Yes, I am well aware. It seems to be the safest for the fish, when milking/eggs, I just wondered if this is SOP for adult salmon.
Read a fantastic report from the Uk about the Steelhead and Atlantic salmon program the other day at work. I hope it catches on here.
For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

What is a dipper? Sorry - I missed the meaning of this term somewhere along the way.
The way they fish here. http://youtu.be/ocrNO4q1LdM?list=UU_4LtEFjHj-ulBHuoq6COmQ

rezak

What is a dipper? Sorry - I missed the meaning of this term somewhere along the way.

I'm, curious to know the definition of them too.

DanL

• Old Timer

I'm, curious to know the definition of them too.

Also known as 'pocket flossing' where you find a soft piece of water behind some structure like a boulder (ie the pocket). Flip/dip your presentation into said pocket do a very short drift which may only be a few feet long. At the end lift your presentation out of the water and repeat ad nauseum.

Often that pocket is literally right at your feet like you see at Tamahi in the video posted by Chris. So close that you don't even need to cast or reel in between drifts. Fish will travel up the edges to avoid the heavy rapids so are easily targeted in such spots.

Pull out just enough line and dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift all day long. In the right pocket you can literally do hundreds of drifts per hour because they are so short AKA dipping

The main criticisms is that sections like Tamihi draw an insane number of people fishing shoulder to shoulder, the incidence of foul-hooked fish is pretty high, and because of the rapids and density of people around you, when a fish is on they often just try to haul it out of the water ASAP like bass fishing (see 1:20 mark in Chris's video above). Those who are good at it can certainly get into good numbers but many find it a mind-numbing way to fish. Not many would describe it as enjoyable...

Carich980

Pretty much any set of rapids on the Upper River there are guys doing that. Tell tale sign is the float a few feet from the tip bobbing like a yo-yo never actually touching the water. Oh well only a few more weeks and they're all gone.  :P

typhoon

• Old Timer

Another characteristic of dipping is a horizontal presentation.
The pockets are often narrow, so the leader can't be long but a neutral or floating bait is always presented to improve the probability of flossing.

Rieber

• Old Timer

Also known as 'pocket flossing' where you find a soft piece of water behind some structure like a boulder (ie the pocket). Flip/dip your presentation into said pocket do a very short drift which may only be a few feet long. At the end lift your presentation out of the water and repeat ad nauseum.

Often that pocket is literally right at your feet like you see at Tamahi in the video posted by Chris. So close that you don't even need to cast or reel in between drifts. Fish will travel up the edges to avoid the heavy rapids so are easily targeted in such spots.

Pull out just enough line and dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift-dip-drift all day long. In the right pocket you can literally do hundreds of drifts per hour because they are so short AKA dipping

The main criticisms is that sections like Tamihi draw an insane number of people fishing shoulder to shoulder, the incidence of foul-hooked fish is pretty high, and because of the rapids and density of people around you, when a fish is on they often just try to haul it out of the water ASAP like bass fishing (see 1:20 mark in Chris's video above). Those who are good at it can certainly get into good numbers but many find it a mind-numbing way to fish. Not many would describe it as enjoyable...

Hmmm, that definition reminds me of creek fishing with fly - just hitting all the pocket water. I didn't realize that was frowned upon.
My interpretation of a Dipper was some thing negative, more towards the snagging side of things where someone may chose to use a large hooked object like a big spoon dipped in a pocket - drift it through the run then rip it out of the water at the end or on any bump.

Thank you - now I know what a Dipper is.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

If someone or some group of people fish in a manner that doesn't' appeal to you or you and your cronies - just give it a name and insist it's focus is purely on flossing and/or snagging as many fish as possible in as short a span of time as possible. It's the surest way to "stick out" in the grindingly elitist world of gear fishing for salmon and steelhead  :)
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DRP79

A Frayed Knot

Hmmm, that definition reminds me of creek fishing with fly - just hitting all the pocket water. I didn't realize that was frowned upon.
My interpretation of a Dipper was some thing negative, more towards the snagging side of things where someone may chose to use a large hooked object like a big spoon dipped in a pocket - drift it through the run then rip it out of the water at the end or on any bump.

Thank you - now I know what a Dipper is.

I don't think its frowned upon at all, I think people are starting to knit pick about techniques, if you don't fish their way with set up, spot and at that specific time everyone else is wrong. Your way or the highway mentality. But don't you dare get caught in the same system/body of water cause its super secret and the internets to blame.

Fishing the unfishable spots is kinda my favorite but I do so with my single hand rod. Full Floating w/ a shorter leader because the fly thanks to the current gets down into the strike zone PDQ. All thats needed a good false cast and than lining up the fly directly in front of you, to high up and you'll snag a rock fish or cedar pike  :P great trophies I grant you! but terrible on the plate! Anyway a quick mend and let it drift right to the beach, if you start to retrieve to soon, you are liking to foul or snag between the boulders, which isn't good that waters fast and ugly, not really safe. Playing tug-a-war is never a good idea.
I tend to do quite well but the only time I have success with that type of fishing is usually when the waters just right, I like it a little on the high side.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

LOL - good one!  Porkins???

Actually, it was Davish Krail (Gold 5) who quoted the famous "Stay on target" during the Battle of Yavin.  OK - back to the topic.... ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:39:08 PM by FlyFishin Magician »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water was fishable today but high in the area I fish so went to the North side.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Can anyone comment on water conditions?

Graphs not working for me for some reason anyone else having problems?