Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Chilliwack River hatchery marked coho salmon did you retain in fall 2010?

1 - 5
6 - 10
11 - 15
16 - 20
21 - 25
26 - 30
31+

Author Topic: 2010 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 112510 times)

bluenoser

ZERO.....could have made a TV show called Coho gone wild....several coho which were all wild and saw at least a dozen wild caught and released by others.

I haven't been fishing nearly as much as other years and the trips I made were all in early October.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

needless to say it was a challenging year...not as good as last year, but the number of jacks were high.

salmonsturgeontrout

Ya I only caught a few adults but did very very well with jacks, last year I only caught a few but this year managed 5 wild and 27 hatch jacks. Dissapointed I didn't get more adults but the jacks kept me busy and well fed  ;D

azafai

what would this higher number of jack cohos for this year mean for adult coho return of next year?
higher number for adult coho next year, or lower number, and why?

Easywater

• Old Timer

what would this higher number of jack cohos for this year mean for adult coho return of next year?

I would think that a higher number of jacks would indicate a higher number of adults the next year.
Jacks return a year (or two) early so that would indicate a healthy number of adults out in the ocean for next year.

Anything can happen between now and then, though.

Dave

• Old Timer

Returning jacks have always been used as part of the equation to predict the next years adults. Seems to work well with coho and chinook and most certainly with sockeye .... thing is, Easywater nailed it ....  ocean conditions are continually changing.   That said, with the West Coast Pacific in it's cooler regime, it's likely next years coho and other salmonids runs will be strong.   

Sterling C

• Old Timer

Just my personal opinion but I don't feel that people are catching less adults due to there being less fish.

It has to do with the catchability of Chilliwack River coho. The presence of hoards of snaggers and the big chinook turns coho off in a hurry. Remove these elements and you will quickly see catch rates increase.
Actions speak louder than words.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Just my personal opinion but I don't feel that people are catching less adults due to there being less fish.

It has to do with the catchability of Chilliwack River coho. The presence of hoards of snaggers and the big chinook turns coho off in a hurry. Remove these elements and you will quickly see catch rates increase.
You have it correct. The fish are harrassed so much by those that work in all sorts of water, water that you and I would never fish by proper methods.

I found this year the lower down I fished in the river the better I did, not that I did very well for the third year in a row. In the old days, before flossing became the norm we had many days of good coho fishing right into December.
Of course to be fair returns were a lot better then too.

t-bone

I couldn't agree more. There are more coho visible but we are catching less. The main issue is stress. The fish are spooked beyond belief and by the time they run the gammit down low, they just want to spawn and nothing else. Too bad and a good argument for turning some parts of the river into lottery licensing.

buncranabop

• Silver Bullet

Bang on, I definitely agree with this. Coho spook easily anyhow.
The two best times for fishing are (A) when its raining and (B) when its not.

Clarki Hunter

Wondering how the water level and flow looked today?  Is it high and fast?  Thanks.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Wondering how the water level and flow looked today?  Is it high and fast?  Thanks.

Water conditions will be good because of the cold temps but the strong East wind will just blow you away.

Clarki Hunter

Thanks Chris, I'll save the trip out tomorrow.  Stay closer to home. 

hue-nut

• Old Timer

depends on where u are wanting to fish but I found it near perfect today, hooked 5 adults (2 chromers), a few jacks, and missed a half dozen others. Did not see one other angler in the 2 hours I was out

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

depends on where u are wanting to fish but I found it near perfect today, hooked 5 adults (2 chromers), a few jacks, and missed a half dozen others. Did not see one other angler in the 2 hours I was out

Now that's what I like about late season fishing.   ;)