Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River  (Read 16420 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Stave River
« on: January 02, 2010, 10:48:55 AM »

I was just wondering if there's anything to fish in the Stave right now?
Also I cant seem to find any info in the regulations book other than the tidal boundry. Anyone have a link?
thanks

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Stave River
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 11:12:38 AM »

The regulations for Stave River can be found in the Region 2/Lower Mainland section of the Freshwater fishing reglations synopsis.

Outside the fall salmon season, there are three target species in this system. They are steelhead, coastal cutthroat trout and mountain whitefish.

The winter steelhead fishery is not as productive as the Chilliwack River, but there are still quite a few fish. Fraser Valey Trout Hatchery releases a fingerlings from a target of ten pairs of brood fish (not completely sure about that number, I maybe mixed up so Bederko can confirm or correct later).

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/091109-1.html

Personally I have had some success when fishing for coastal cutthroat trout and mountain whitefish in late winter/early spring. During that time, it's pretty common to see constant surface activity because salmon fry are out and these two species feed aggressively on them.

As the weather becomes warmer in spring, northern pikeminnow become abundant.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:15:45 AM by Rodney »

tumbleweed

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 12:25:33 PM »

I have never caught a mountain whitefish are they good fighters? Is there alot of them in the stave? Would I use a spinner to catch them?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 12:40:43 PM »

With the appropriate tackle, they can certainly be very good fighters. Since most of the whitefish are under 18 inches long, a very light spinning rod or 3/4wt fly rod can be very enjoyable to fish with.

Lures would work, but for this time of the year, egg immitations would work better. If you are using a spinning rod, a light float balanced with a few split shots (less than 10g), size 4/6 hook baited with either artificial (small gooey bobs, Jensen eggs) or natural bait (roe, single eggs, dew worms).

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/video/0817.html

Once salmon fry start hatching, tiny spoons and spinners may work. Small minnow patterns fished with a fly rod work better.

tumbleweed

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 01:03:48 PM »

Thanks Rod, I think I will take my Kids out and give that a try. Are they abundant like the pikeminnows are in the summer time?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 01:43:31 PM »

They can be, at times, but slightly more selective on what they will bite on than pikeminnow. :) The tiny mouth and quick bites/pecks also make them harder to hook.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 05:19:06 PM »

took my brother out there last week, beautiful sunny day and great hike on both sides of the river..... he hasn't fished in 15 years (he lives in Arizona and is here for 2 or 3 days each xmas only) and hooked up with a couple of 14 or so inch cutties I assume??  I was a few hundred feet away and he horsed 'em a bit too much and both jumped away as they were coming to hand (he had never fished with waders standing in waist deep water either).  He was using dew worms and doing quite well with them - had a few other hits throughout the day with no sets.  I was using spinners and jigs for the fun of it - one chrome flashy one while on the jig, that was on for all of 10 seconds so I have NO idea what - guessing over 5 lbs by the hit and very short fight..... didn't matter, was a great day out with the bro!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

tumbleweed

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 05:32:27 PM »

took my brother out there last week, beautiful sunny day and great hike on both sides of the river..... he hasn't fished in 15 years (he lives in Arizona and is here for 2 or 3 days each xmas only) and hooked up with a couple of 14 or so inch cutties I assume??  I was a few hundred feet away and he horsed 'em a bit too much and both jumped away as they were coming to hand (he had never fished with waders standing in waist deep water either).  He was using dew worms and doing quite well with them - had a few other hits throughout the day with no sets.  I was using spinners and jigs for the fun of it - one chrome flashy one while on the jig, that was on for all of 10 seconds so I have NO idea what - guessing over 5 lbs by the hit and very short fight..... didn't matter, was a great day out with the bro!
Were you fishing up by the toilet bowl? My six year old boy has been asking for weeks for me to take him fishing but I would like to get him some action. It does not really matter what kind of fish he catches he would be happy with a bullhead.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »

I'll be out that way tomorrow. I was considering going out to the Chehalis for some steelhead but i think i'll stay a little closer to home and go to the stave. Besides, ive never fished the Chehalis and so i'll wait till i have a friend to go with. Its more fun exploring with a friend.

Hopefully it doesn't rain too much. Im tying up some flies and getting my 5 and 8 wt's ready for the outting.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 07:58:43 PM »

Thanks for the info Rodney.
I will probably try for steelhead there when I cant bring myself to drive to the vedder.
I still notice that the Stave is not listed with the other water bodies on the list, so the general regualtions probably apply. To find out if retention of hatchery steelhead is permitted it would best to call into the number they have posted right?

I may have to bring my small spinning set up as well to try for some whitefish or trout as well

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 09:32:26 PM »

If it does not state it in the regs then your daily quota for hatchery steelhead is 2 .

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

wayne

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 09:52:45 PM »

Has the quota for steelhead been changed? I thought the quota was one hatchery per day.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 09:56:57 PM »

It is only 1 fish per day if it states it. If it does not state it then the Regional Daily catch quota applies. Read the regs on Page 23 under Regional Daily catch quota and you will see it there.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

costas

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 10:14:51 PM »

is the bowl a good spot to fly fish on the stave..i will be going there tomorrow to try out my new fly rod set up..do you need ur hip waiters to get to the bowl??thanks
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 10:21:40 PM »

is the bowl a good spot to fly fish on the stave..i will be going there tomorrow to try out my new fly rod set up..do you need ur hip waiters to get to the bowl??thanks

You should be able to fish anywhere around the bowl area without having to wear your waders. And yes it is a fairly good area but work the areas where there is slower water in the main channel close to the bowl.