Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: netting vedder canal  (Read 27098 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: netting vedder canal
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2016, 04:29:51 PM »

$1.53 today actually...

Wool

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2016, 06:20:23 PM »

Why spend the hours as a stream keeper when you see this? Just my opinion, but, the Vedder should be a rod and reel only fishery. Many people, including sports fisherman, spend countless hours making sure the resources are inhananced for the sport. It seems anyone can just scoop what they want, when they want, without a thought. This just makes me sick to see across the whole local area. Please don't tell me it's a right.

They'll be 100 half chewed chums at the dam in Burnaby in September, don't forget to get these as well.

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but, the rules aren't fair.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2016, 06:31:11 PM »

. It seems anyone can just scoop what they want, when they want, without a thought. This just makes me sick to see across the whole local area. Please don't tell me it's a right.

The statement above is very much based in a lack of knowledge & understanding.

It's a right and it's fair.

Can it continue forever? At the current rate of population growth, in about 100 years, 1st Nations could be at around 114 million the largest segment of the population - so they will have to decide
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:08:42 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Burbot

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2016, 07:06:26 PM »

Thanks Rod (and DFO) for the information.

When you have all the facts, suddenly it's not quite so easy to vilify DFO and the FN, is it Kingpin, Aaron and Rieber?

Or maybe, after you read those 12 points, you still disagree with the opening. In that case, then you are entitled to your newly-informed opinion.     

Wow you are sure an arrogant sob..

Drewhill

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2016, 07:55:11 PM »

Why spend the hours as a stream keeper when you see this? Just my opinion, but, the Vedder should be a rod and reel only fishery. Many people, including sports fisherman, spend countless hours making sure the resources are inhananced for the sport. It seems anyone can just scoop what they want, when they want, without a thought. This just makes me sick to see across the whole local area. Please don't tell me it's a right.

They'll be 100 half chewed chums at the dam in Burnaby in September, don't forget to get these as well.

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but, the rules aren't fair.

If you're saying it should be rod and reel for natives too that doesn't make sense. Rod and reel is for recreational guys and they aren't recreationally fishing. If you're saying the river should be open to recreational guys, that's just a scary thought. Can you imagine what a zoo the Vedder would be if you could keep sockeye? There's no way there would be enough officers to manage that mess. And if they closed the river to recreational and native guys eventually the government isn't going to fund the run at all because there's no benefit to anyone.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2016, 08:40:17 PM »

So the sockeye had a few good years towards recovery and they've made some allowances for native fishery - I have to then believe this is a good sign but trust and pray that the people responsible for this decision have not made a mistake.

As I say that, I still don't like the thought of netting on small rivers and to think that 500 sockeye were taken out of the system that day while the recreational angler has to stand by and watch this happen.

I know my thoughts are hypocritical as I've participated in Limited Entry Hunts many years back.

Like I said before, I hope a mistake was not made in the decision. I guess we'll find out in a few years time.

Wool

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2016, 09:33:48 PM »

I simply mean the Vedder is typically for sports fishing. It seems to me any run is less year after year. Your right on my knowledge, but, I know there's no need to net that river.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:19:26 PM by Wool »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2016, 12:13:22 AM »

I was trying to look at a little of both sides of the argument, as I believe it is important to look at all aspects :).
True, but that wasn't the tone of your first post, referring to it as a "complete joke", which is what I was alluding too.

Wow you are sure an arrogant sob..
Sorry for the late reply. It was too nice a night to not go out and catch some cutthroat. I fail to see how my post makes me both arrogant and possessing dubious parentage.  However if you feel the need to throw out high school'ish  personal insults then let's not derail the thread and please feel free to correspond with me at the email address in my profile and let me know how we don't see eye to eye. Cheers.

96XJ

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2016, 10:42:32 AM »

My comment was referring to the fact that the harvest has been reduced to 40 fish from 1000 15 years ago , maybe some of the vedder socks can be flown in....

Hardly sad. First Nations have been sharing the bounty of nature for a long time. It wouldn't be the first time that one group brought food that they had an abundance of to another group in need. Remember, Alexander McKenzie was fed by the natives in what is now Prince George and in Bella Coola too.
I was in the Interpretive Center in Teslin and saw the pictures and a short video of the celebration of brotherhood this event made possible. Both groups of Tlingit had a blast paddling, dancing, singing and eating together. It was more a "family reunion" than an emergency airlift from what I saw and there were a lot of smiles on everyone in the pictures. Just don't let the Tahltan men and the Tlingit men get together because they get along as well as the Bella Coola and Bella Bella men. At least that was what the Tlingit woman in the Center told us.

buck

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2016, 01:32:19 PM »

Dave, two clipped sockeye (Cultus stock ) observed at Chilliwack hatchery. So yes, they are fishing over migrating Cultus fish. Not a great decision on DFO 's part considering how much is being spent  on recovery efforts.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2016, 11:10:50 PM »

3 fish passed through the Sweltzer Creek counting fence yesterday.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2016, 08:06:51 AM »

however did they make it past all those nets?  ::)
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

buck

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2016, 10:58:02 AM »

Allowing first nations to plunder the Fraser River chum and pink salmon for roe and opening the drift net fishery was a huge mistake. Now the same managers have opened the Vedder to set and drift nets.
Four years ago ( brood year ) they were only allowed to use seine and dip nets. Once again our resource is being managed politically with little regard to the associated problems this may cause between sport anglers and natives. We have enough problems on the Fraser, lets not bring them to the Vedder.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2016, 11:03:43 AM »

however did they make it past all those nets?  ::)

What kind of response is that? I guess everything is just hunky dory then might as well leave the nets up seems those cultus sockeye have special net evading magic powers give me a break.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2016, 11:23:04 AM »

Wow!  Opening this fishery at this time is mind boggling.  As Buck stated, literally millions of taxpayer dollars, not to mention the thousands of man hours by some of North America’s best scientists have been spent on recovery efforts for Cultus sockeye.  To have this opening is a personal affront to me, as I put in years working to protect this stock and, I’m sure, even more to the world class geneticists and physiologists as well.

Either DFO has given up on Cultus sockeye, (and many would argue it’s about time as it is now almost entirely comprised of hatchery fish), or, some low level manager made a very, very poor decision.  I suspect the former as the people who were pushing for a SARA listing and pretty much forced the recovery efforts and subsequent money spent, local First Nations, are actively fishing on this stock.

Go for it, catch the last fish.  Then put the app 200K now spent on this stock annually into the budget of DFO’s Habitat Restoration Unit, people who DO care.

Rant over.